How would you fix Metro on the desktop? My list:

Active desktop failed for a reason. It won't work here either.

If you're trying to switch between apps, ALT-TAB still works, and includes Metro apps.

I really like it. The desktop apps could run on top of metro.

You really think that would look and feel good? :blink:

If Microsoft did this, I wouldn't touch Windows 8.

Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads.

good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads."

• Like 2

good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads."

Good god. Not another one of these "good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads.""

Personally i think Metro should have been like Windows Media Center, if you wish it can start full screen when Windows starts. The end user doesn't need to know Windows is running behind it, that's certainly the experience the family get with the Media Center in the front room.

Same with Metro, if you want it to have it start when the user logs on. If not just give the user the desktop environment, there's nothing wrong with choice is there? Metro doesn't need to interfere with the desktop environment at all.

Power users are happy, and your basic computer user can use Metro and never know there's a desktop behind it.

Windows 8 would be received so much better by just allowing users some basic choices.

Good god. Not another one of these "good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads.""

Good god, Not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these "good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads."""

:rofl: LOL@Jan^

Good god, Not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these "good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads."""

Good god, Not another one of these "Good god, Not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these "good god, not another one of these "Good god. Not another one of these Metro whine threads.""""

I have said it a million times and I will say it again... This mess won't sort itself out until Windows 9.

This has probably been said already, but if we're going to be stuck with metro, at least allow the Start screen to be displayed on the left side, kind of like the charms menu, rather then go full screen and cover up the desktop and everything I was working on. That is VERY distracting and the number 1 issue for me.

Just bring back the start menu....there....I said it because no one else will.

Really though....just bring it back and all will be well.

I think people will quickly get used to the new gestures and gimmicks like moving your mouse in one of the corners, using the charms etc. It's sad some people won't give it a chance. Some of the OPs suggestions ruin the whole Metro idea, this is what I'd love to see;

- Desktop apps appearing in the app switcher at the top left. Now there are essentially two types of apps (Metro and classic) and two ways to switch (taskbar and left switching pane)

- Remove the taskbar, it's obsolete with desktop icons. Certainly DON'T dare to bring back the ominous start button, it's as obsolete as hell. Remove window chrome and let them close using the "drag down" paradigm that Metro apps have.

- Improve the App Preview apps dramatically (really, the CP versions are for kids --')

- Shut down/Restart/Control Panel option in the user flyout menu.

I still can't see why the desktop can't be the default environment on laptops and desktops, and metro on tablets and phones. It makes no sense to force everyone into one paradigm. Honestly I think this will just push more people toward GNU/Linux, which gives users actual choices instead of forcing it down their throats.

that Dot Matrix guy probably has too much time in his work to defend Windows 8 like mad... or MS is paying him. Anyway, what everyone that is protouch interface is failing to see is shown next:

it is NOT ACCURATE and does NOT ALLOW SEE below the fingers.

Because of this simple fail the mouse will reign supreme AND because of this, when anybody solves the two problems above will come with another way to interact the pcs that isn't touch, when that happens even the keyboard will render obsolete and then a change for the sake of the better will be executed.

With this said, such interface will remove all this touch BS that removes accuracy and renders GUIs pretty much less efficient than their mouse keyboard counterpart... The mind that is, once we're able to read and press our thoughts into a pc this madness will end. Patiently awaiting for it... if ever.