Is the AMD VISION E2 APU any good?

M_Lyons10

Hi everyone. A friend of mine is interested in this machine here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+15.6%22+Satellite+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/4792328.p?id=1218529551600&skuId=4792328

But I'm not very familiar with AMD processors (I've always stuck with Intel personally). They are replacing a laptop that had a first generation i5 (I believe). This one is the price point they are looking for and the brand they would like (I and they have always had good luck with Toshiba - she'd still have the other one if her baby hadn't poured a glass of water on it...).

So, I was wondering what everyone thought of the processor and such. I don't want to tell her it's O.K. without knowing first.

Thanks for the help.

-Matt-

the big dill

Hi everyone. A friend of mine is interested in this machine here:

http://www.bestbuy.c...0&skuId=4792328

But I'm not very familiar with AMD processors (I've always stuck with Intel personally). They are replacing a laptop that had a first generation i5 (I believe). This one is the price point they are looking for and the brand they would like (I and they have always had good luck with Toshiba - she'd still have the other one if her baby hadn't poured a glass of water on it...).

So, I was wondering what everyone thought of the processor and such. I don't want to tell her it's O.K. without knowing first.

Thanks for the help.

-Matt-

First off, go on a more specified computer seller such as ncix, newegg, tigerdirect, etc.

You haven't told us much about what the laptop is for... If she was using that i5's potential, this is just going to be money down the drain.

Finally, you get what you pay for... think about what it costs to make that, ship it, store it and pay everyone in charge... then try to make a profit off it, don't expect anything special from that laptop.

Muhammad Farrukh

Its a good one, on which casual gaming can be had, but I would recommend an SandyBridge equipped i3. Sure, it has inferior GPU than this one, but the performance gains in daily-life routine work are quite good. And the integrated HD GPU isn't that bad.

If you can find a similarly priced i3 one, go for it. Otherwise, this is a nice option

M_Lyons10

Thanks for the help. She mostly uses it for Facebook, some Farmville and other Flash based games, and then things like Sims, reading the news, watching videos on Hulu or whatever. Mostly video tasks and such... Sorry, I should have included that in the initial post.

I honestly would be surprised if she were using all that the i5 had to offer, but I don't want her in a situation where she cannot do what she needs to either or has performance issues with the tv shows she watches or whatever. And then of course Farmville will bring just about any computer to its knees... LOL

the big dill

Thanks for the help. She mostly uses it for Facebook, some Farmville and other Flash based games, and then things like Sims, reading the news, watching videos on Hulu or whatever. Mostly video tasks and such... Sorry, I should have included that in the initial post.

I honestly would be surprised if she were using all that the i5 had to offer, but I don't want her in a situation where she cannot do what she needs to either or has performance issues with the tv shows she watches or whatever. And then of course Farmville will bring just about any computer to its knees... LOL

Haha, i completely understand your situation. It shouldn't be a problem for those tasks.

M_Lyons10

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it. I'll let her know. :)