1TB @ 7200rpm vs. 2TB @ 5400rpm

I think the higher density will not outperform 7200 RPM. Better get 7200 for speed. I notice very low increase in speed based on higher density.

I think the higher density will not outperform 7200 RPM. Better get 7200 for speed. I notice very low increase in speed based on higher density.

The reason I posted here was because I wanted to know whether one was faster than the other, just in general. After seeing some of the replies and checking out some of the links, it appears there isn't a definitive answer - it depends on the drive.

I thought I'd get my hands on a couple of "average" drives just to compare anyway though and post the outcome for anyone else interested.

On the same system, using HD Tune Pro 4.60, I compared a Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm drive and a Seagate 2TB 5400rpm drive. The Samsung outperformed with the transfer rate, with both maximum and average being higher, but the Hitachi had a lower access time. That fits with what some others have said would be the case, but of course will depend on various other things. In this particular example, the OS would be better on the Hitachi and the Seagate used for storage.