New screenshots!

https://www.cubby.co...d375182bfe3/1.3

Changes:

• Bug Fixes
  • New Controls
  • Window Borders - easier separation between windows
  • Redesigned Friends List
  • New Notifications
  • New Overlay Style - a slim version with just the bar shown and another version with the friends, achievements, and screenshot boxes
  • Slimmed down main window header
  • Border below header for contrast between the header and library, also acts as a container for the progress bar (see progress bar screenshot to see it in action)
  • Cog icon to replace menu text, can be seen in the main window as well as the friend's list

That's what I have so far. I'd like to iron out a few more of the reported bugs and finish the overlay browser before I release this update. It's shaping up to be a big one!

Looks great, can't wait! (Y)

My only complaint though is with the top right notification area in the main window. Since the spacing between the cog icon, 4, and notifications icon is the same it looks like you have "4 cogs", not "4 notifications".

Looks great, can't wait! (Y)

My only complaint though is with the top right notification area in the main window. Since the spacing between the cog icon, 4, and notifications icon is the same it looks like you have "4 cogs", not "4 notifications".

That's definitely not going to be the final layout. I just left it there because I don't know what to do with it yet. :p

• 2 weeks later...

You've been really quiet. Any new updates or screenshots?

Just finished up school, and the last two weeks have been surprisingly busy for me.

As a result I haven't done too much, but I can assure you I'll have plenty of time to work on the skin now. :)

Just finished up school, and the last two weeks have been surprisingly busy for me.

As a result I haven't done too much, but I can assure you I'll have plenty of time to work on the skin now. :)

Ah, ok. I'm just happy knowing this didn't just disappear!

Ah, ok. I'm just happy knowing this didn't just disappear!

Same here! The theme's I enjoyed in the past just drop development. Glad to see this one going through.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update:

I've done a TON of work since 1.2. I'm incredibly sorry for the wait and lack of communication. My intention was to just complete the overlay for 1.3 but I addressed far more than that as it turns out.

This update will feature the following so far (in addition to what I posted about a month ago):

• Overhauled Overlay
  • Improved Friends List
  • A more complete and polished main window including a slimmer navigation bar, a status bar (with plenty of Metro-style icons) for the menu, notifications, Steam Wallet, search, etc.
  • Download Progress Bar integrated into the Status Bar
  • Relocated avatar to the status bar with View Friends and Online count
  • Redesigned Details View
  • Fixed Overlay Browser
  • Added ATI Driver Check, Restart, Small/Large Mode toggle, Theme version check and more to the menu

I need some input. This update is far too large to simply give it a point upgrade. Should I give it a couple (1.5 for example) or call it 2.0?

Whenever I've made things (small programs, plugins for Bukkit/Spout) I've always done my version scheme based on the features/changes I make. In your case I'd say go for 2.0 if it is a complete rewrite just about. Otherwise 1.5 sounds nice.

Hooray! I can't wait for the release! (Y)

IMO 2.0 sounds nicer then 1.5.

Thanks for the input! 2.0 does give that polished feel to the release, especially considering how much it contains. I'm going to make sure I don't pull a Google/Mozilla after this release and wind up flying through version numbers. :p

Whenever I've made things (small programs, plugins for Bukkit/Spout) I've always done my version scheme based on the features/changes I make. In your case I'd say go for 2.0 if it is a complete rewrite just about. Otherwise 1.5 sounds nice.

That's how I'm envisioning it now. If I were to break down what I've completed thus far into smaller point releases then it would probably add up to around 2.0. I do prefer releasing smaller, more focused updates but this one got out of hand.

Thanks for the input as well!

Hey I just registered to tell you that this is a very sweet skin, I recently changed my windows 7 look to that of Win8 Metro and I love your skin, thank you very much for taking your time on making it.

~Max

Hey I just registered to tell you that this is a very sweet skin, I recently changed my windows 7 look to that of Win8 Metro and I love your skin, thank you very much for taking your time on making it.

~Max

That's AWESOME! Thanks, man!

Not a big fan of changes introduced in 1.1 and 1.2, but eagerly awaiting 2.0 ;)

Not a big fan of changes introduced in 1.1 and 1.2, but eagerly awaiting 2.0 ;)

I suppose you mean the layout which changed drastically. I've been shaping it with each update and I'm finally at a point where I'm happy with it with 2.0. I hope you like it too!

I think I'll go ahead and take some screenshots today of the new features. It's been too long and I want to show everyone what I've been up to.

Edit:

Screenshots! I'm giving deviantART's Sta.sh feature a try to avoid running the page 3x the length it should be. :p

post-288886-0-93659700-1341173868_thumb.

This is a truly awesome skin, but what about release date for the new version?

This is a truly awesome skin, but what about release date for the new version?

Thanks! Right now!

Windows 8 - Steam Skin 2.0 - Download

I've introduced a ton of changes since 1.2. and the theme has been almost entirely overhauled. I'll spend the next few weeks releasing point updates to add some more polish to the changes. Enjoy!

post-288886-0-64968000-1342049298_thumb.

Changelog

• Overhauled Overlay
  • Improved Friends List
  • A more complete and polished main window including a slimmer navigation bar, a status bar (with plenty of Metro-style icons) for the menu, notifications, Steam Wallet, search, etc.
  • Download Progress Bar integrated into the Status Bar
  • Relocated avatar to the status bar with View Friends and Online count
  • Redesigned Details View
  • Fixed Overlay Browser
  • Added ATI Driver Check, Restart, Small/Large Mode toggle, Theme version check and more to the menu

• Like 2

Woot!

What about the fonts, they're not included anymore? I'm finally back on my PC and hadn't installed the skin yet, so I don't have them anymore.

What about the fonts, they're not included anymore? I'm finally back on my PC and hadn't installed the skin yet, so I don't have them anymore.

Good call! I'll re-upload it quickly.

Nice! (Y)

It feels much less cramped compared to version 1.2.

Thanks a lot!

I found a bug - the position of notifications menu isn't changed when it can't fit on the screen (is close to its edge). Main menu doesn't have this problem.

post-178601-0-93855300-1342079170.png

I found a bug - the position of notifications menu isn't changed when it can't fit on the screen (is close to its edge). Main menu doesn't have this problem.

post-178601-0-93855300-1342079170.png

I'm not so sure I can even fix that bug, but I'm going to look into it.

Steam Wallet bug:

post-449725-0-31075100-1342097633.png

post-449725-0-65108900-1342097669.png

Compact mode bug:

post-449725-0-79103900-1342097679.png

I was having some problems with that whole bottom area thanks to the way Valve divided each of the layout files. I'm going to give it another look in the next update.

Outstanding. Looking forward to installing this :o

You're a champion >.<

Why thank you! :)

Valve should ask permission to make it default for Steam Windows 8 users.

Excellent job

That would be quite an honor. Thanks for the comment!

I'm having a strange bug on 2.0 of the skin. When I am using the skin. My CPU usage goes up to 25 percent and my CPU fan starts to kick in it's noise after a while. But when I go to the default Steam skin. My CPU usage is back down to 0 percent with the same windows (chat box and friends list) and my fan drops about 1000 RPM.