OEMs demanding more UI customization in Windows Phone 8

It's been clear for sometime that the only way to differentiate WP7 devices is in hardware appearance. Microsoft's never going to open up the OS like Android. That's difficult for some OEM's to accept, especially when even the device specifications/components are dictated by Microsoft as well.

Why should the open up the OS? So the OEM's can bloat it with all the bull**** like angrybirds and ****ing apps that I can't uninstall without rooting my phone? No thanks.

• Like 1

Microsoft should tell all these OEM's: Why don't you take that suggestion.....and shove it up your a**!! :D

Don't give it to them! OEMs will ruin Windows Phone just like what they're doing to Android. It will slow down updates and the performance of the phone as well.

Microsoft has already made up their minds after Windows Mobile 6.5: put customization in the hands of the user, not the OEM. Besides, OEMs are allowed to preload their own apps and other stuff (such as ringtones and stuff) unto the phone to give it a little extra functionality. That's good enough!

Obviously, these OEMs need to take a hint and learn a lesson from Nokia. Nokia has no problems differentiating itself, simply by committing itself to Windows Phone. As long as all these whining OEMs are still committed to Android, they will never understand differentiation on Windows Phone. Differentiation is not only about customization and skinning the interface.

OEMs like HTC can't commit to Windows Phone. Their best devices will be Android and always will be because of their commitment to Android. They have no right to lobby for differentiation. If Microsoft opened up Windows Phone for skinning, HTC will put Sense on it, and I will probably slit my wrists if I ever see that day come. Even if it made no Sense (see what I did there?). And what, TouchWiz on Windows Phone? No way sir, no way. Absolutely no ****ing way. People have said that Metro is ugly, but i'm damn sure that TouchWiz is uglier.

Again, if these OEMs are going to stay committed to Android while making second-class Windows Phones, then maybe they shouldn't bother making Windows Phones at all. Just stick to Android and give up on Windows Phone. All Windows Phone needs is Nokia. Nokia alone can ship more phones than all the OEMs combined.

I'd be more than happy for Nokia to have the Windows Phone market all to itself. Wait, you know what? I'd even go as far to say that Microsoft should make Windows Phone exclusive to Nokia just to shut up the other OEMs that are pretending to be interested in Windows Phone when what they are only going to do is to make their Android devices top of the class.

If HTC and Samsung weren't wasting so much effort developing skins to try and make Android usable they could develop compelling software and services that benefit their customers. Tinkering with the UI is the lazy way to make your product stand out from the crowd.

THIS.

• Like 2

Isn't the device manufacturers like Samsung holding back ICS updates becuase they can't get thier UI customizations in order for it? If they all used stock the updates can be pushed out sooner and not have to wait for the OEMs to push out thier own updates.

Unlike Windows Mobile, OEM skins are not needed and will absolutely destroy Windows Phone until the point that is a ######-filled crater at the bottom of a very deep ocean.

I don't mind OEMs including their own special/cool/awesome apps on devices, but nowadays skins on all OSes (including Android 4.0+) are pointless, horrible to use, slow down the device, hinder updates and add features that no-one uses or needs.

• Like 3

WP8 will, or should, bring support for a wider range of hardware (SoCs) from different makers not just Qualcomm like we have now. That should help cut OEM costs because they can make better deals with the SoC makers etc and cut down the need for any real UI changes. WP8 should also support different screen resolutions and even device sizes as that one old leaked slide showed months ago. Nokia has shown that hardware and good marketing makes a difference not UI changes since Nokia hasn't done any of those.

The Nokia apps are also worth it IMO, so OEMs like HTC and Samsung should take note and follow suite instead of trying to shove their own silly UI on us for no reason. I think it's clear that if you want a WP you want that UI and that experience, if not then there's a number of me-to Android devices out there, lots of which have the same UI btw.

I hope MS tell them where to shove it. One of WP's strengths is OEMs (and carriers) cannot screw around with it [much]. If MS open the flood gates to the rest of the OEMs and allow them to customize, WP will be ruined and it'll no longer be that buttery smooth OS every knows and loves. I'm a huge fan of Android and can't stand WP (I still think it's a good OS, just not to my taste) but I respect what MS has done with WP.

I hope and pray to god that Microsoft do not allow any OEM to change the UI in any way shape or form. Nokia does have permission but chose not to do it (THANKFULLY).

What I have noticed from switching from my HTC HD7 to Nokia Lumia 800 is when I play something in Zune the album art shows on the lockscreen on the Lumia, this never used to show on the HD7. I can only assume this is a Nokia thing right?

Subtle UI changes like the above would be acceptable but skinning the UI or putting a custom you should not and Microsoft should tell the OEMs where to go with this.

Having said that Apollo should be a massive update and I can not wait to get my hands on it. The best thing I like about the WP7 platform is the deep integration of social networks like FB, Twitter, Linkedin, Messenger and soon to be Skype. You do not need to download apps this happens straight out of the box. The phones feel quick and responsive, feels snappier than iOS and waaaay more snappier than Android.

List of what's to come with Apollo

• Support for dual cores
  • Support for four different resolutions, though no specifics were given
  • NFC support added, including payment and content sharing with WP8 and Windows 8 machines
  • Carrier control and branding of "wallet" element is possible via SIM or phone hardware
  • MicroSD support added for expandable storage
  • Transitions to core components from desktop, including kernel, network stack, security components and media support
  • Simplified porting of desktop apps to mobile
  • Zune desktop integration scrapped in favor of new, unnamed syncing app
  • Deeper Skydrive integration, including ability to sync data such as music collections
  • Xbox Companion app will get Windows 8 partner client
  • Native code support, simplified porting from Android and iOS
  • App-to-app communication and integration
  • Skype client with deep OS hooks that will make it almost identical to placing standard voice calls
  • Camera app now supports "lenses" which allow third parties to skin and add features to camera interface
  • DataSmart tracks and reports usage via app and live tile
  • Gives preferential treatment to WiFi, can automatically connect to carrier-owned hotspots
  • Proxy server will compress websites in Internet Explorer 10 up to 30 percent
  • Native Bitlocker encryption
  • Support for proprietary, custom built apps to be deployed behind company firewalls

http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/exclusive-windows-phone-8-detailed

What I have noticed from switching from my HTC HD7 to Nokia Lumia 800 is when I play something in Zune the album art shows on the lockscreen on the Lumia, this never used to show on the HD7. I can only assume this is a Nokia thing right?

Nope it was added with Mango.

Settings -> Lock+Wallpaper -> Show artist when playing music

Nope it was added with Mango.

Settings -> Lock+Wallpaper -> Show artist when playing music

Must have missed that, I can only assume it was enabled by default on the Lumia and not on the HD7 which I had since launch.

On another matter entirely. Microsoft need to sort out Updates. The current systems sucks, they need to take carriers out of the equation altogether. Still awaiting my Lumia 800 battery fix update which O2 have not approved and other Carriers in the UK have.

On another matter entirely. Microsoft need to sort out Updates. The current systems sucks, they need to take carriers out of the equation altogether. Still awaiting my Lumia 800 battery fix update which O2 have not approved and other Carriers in the UK have.

I completely agree. As much as it sucks, I think right now though MS is trying to appease carriers and get them to sell the phone rather than place restrictions.

If you're willing to go for it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1306415

Scroll down the Nokia updates and download the 12070 one and follow the instructions in the first post. It's pretty much the same update that gets sent via zune just instead it uses a batch script and some engineering tools to send it to your phone. That's what I used to update my lumia 800 and it worked perfectly.

I completely agree. As much as it sucks, I think right now though MS is trying to appease carriers and get them to sell the phone rather than place restrictions.

If you're willing to go for it: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1306415

Scroll down the Nokia updates and download the 12070 one and follow the instructions in the first post. It's pretty much the same update that gets sent via zune just instead it uses a batch script and some engineering tools to send it to your phone. That's what I used to update my lumia 800 and it worked perfectly.

Will it perform a clean install ie. Wipe/Erase phone, flash it and then its done, clearing all apps messaging and settings in the process? or is it like an upgrade type of install like previous incremental updates? Recently switched from HTC HD7 to the Lumia 800 and found it to be a pain when setting up the phone like it was on the HD7.

Will it perform a clean install ie. Wipe/Erase phone, flash it and then its done, clearing all apps messaging and settings in the process? or is it like an upgrade type of install like previous incremental updates? Recently switched from HTC HD7 to the Lumia 800 and found it to be a pain when setting up the phone like it was on the HD7.

Upgrade type install. You even get the option of making a Zune like backup.