@Detection: Does the menu load?

The game has a slow startup problem that will be fixed soon, but there is a temporary fix: http://blacklight-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=283921

The game is also indeed prone to crashes. Many people are experiencing issues; it used to crash frequently for me too, but the latest patches fixed that. I always report my crash logs to the developers, and it does help. If you are willing, you can send your crash logs to them to help make the game better - http://blacklight-fo...ad.php?t=260081

Punkbuster is also known to cause the game to always crash if it is not configured properly, or not updated. More info @ http://blacklight-fo...ad.php?t=224931

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm actually pretty ticked off right now at BR. I bought that Steam starter pack but when I click on it in my inventory screen, I get some error message. And PW's support has been zero help so far. GG.

What error message are you getting? The game has been having serious issues today, I can't even log-in at the moment. According to a PWE Community Manager, the servers are overloaded (9000+ players on Steam alone right now), and they are working on it.

Watched the WTF... play through by TB and it looks really good. Went ahead and downloaded it from Steam earlier but haven't got to play it yet (can't seem to get away from Skyrim lately). Between this and Spec Ops, should quench my shooter thirst before PlanetSide 2 comes out...if ever :laugh:

I'll probably wait until the server loads get figured out. Will be interesting to see, with the cash shops, how balance will play out. It would be nice to see a FPS in the ilk of LoL/other moba games - everyone starts at level 1 but in-game upgrades based on performance can be had. If I understand correctly, any upgrades you purchase in-game (with Zen or GP) are activated via Datanode, correct?

I've played it before it hit Steam. The gameplay is pretty solid, but I really don't like the weapon unlock system. Item rentals have never been my thing though. I know you can unlock them permanently, but at least last time I played, it felt like it was too much to unlock each and every little customizable piece permanently.

If you like it enough though, I suppose it isn't all bad. Unless you suck, the beginning weapons should be decent enough to keep you stomping people. I'm not sure if you could pick up other people's weapons when they die, but if so, you should be alright if you're worried about the battles getting stale while you wait to unlock another weapon(s).

I'd really love to play this game, it looks quite nice. But it insta-crashes on Windows 8 everytime I launch it. I'd bet its a "Windows 8-isn't-a-final-release-yet" thing.

mattmatik: Datanodes are like skill points, which are activated in Customization > Nodes > Socket Node. Nodes can never be permanent.

dead.cell: Yes, you can pick up other peoples guns with Q. I personally don't think it's that expensive to permanently buy weapon parts with GP, but it is a bit expensive for armor parts. They don't want to make it too easy to buy stuff permanently, and I agree. The best thing to do is to rent a premade weapon a day that you like, save your GP, and spend it to perm stuff that you like when you are at a higher level so you have more options to choose from. You get 3 day trials everytime you level up too.

mattmatik: Datanodes are like skill points, which are activated in Customization > Nodes > Socket Node. Nodes can never be permanent.

dead.cell: Yes, you can pick up other peoples guns with Q. I personally don't think it's that expensive to permanently buy weapon parts with GP, but it is a bit expensive for armor parts. They don't want to make it too easy to buy stuff permanently, and I agree. The best thing to do is to rent a premade weapon a day that you like, save your GP, and spend it to perm stuff that you like when you are at a higher level so you have more options to choose from. You get 3 day trials everytime you level up too.

Cool, thanks.

Been trying to log in but its not accepting my user/pass. What a POS. I'm 100% confident in what I am entering; I go to their website to recover and it doesn't recognize my email address. Huh.

Can you log onto the forums? http://blacklight-fo...d.com/index.php

Nope could not log into the site at all. Going to have to make a new account I guess; it says my username is taken though :huh:

I did the account through the Steam overlay which comes up automatically if you click Register in-game. Maybe that borked it somehow.

A representative of the publisher PWE, who runs the servers, just posted a thread on the forums about the logging in issues - http://blacklight-fo...ad.php?t=347141

Some people have been able to get in just by making another account without using any numbers and special characters in the username and password.

I got a few of my Steam friends to finally try this out last night (along with Tribes Ascend). Now they are having a ball playing it while I can't play it at all lol

So here's what is happening. I click on Play to get to the server browser screen, the game totally freezes up at this point for whatever reason. Then finally it finishes doing whatever and YAY I get DC'ed and sent back to the log in screen every damn time. Thus, I can't join any server, and I can't play. The only way I can actually play now, is by joining one of my friends. That's it.

I haven't seen this issue/bug/whatever it is posted anywhere, so I'm leery at this point what the problem might be...

LOC: I haven't heard about anything like that, but maybe trying disabling your firewall and antivirus if you have. Also switch to the Whisper tab because the lobby chat is lagging the client for some people.

mattmatik: Another follow up about the issue from the Community Manager: http://blacklight-fo...ad.php?t=347451

They weren't prepared for such an influx of players, but once they get the game stabilized it's awesome.

Dreamspell, I went to the whisper tab as soon as it went on Steam lol so sadly I don't think that's it. Also, I don't run with any firewall or antivirus so that isn't an issue :D

I've verified my files, uninstalled and reinstalled, checked to see if maybe a driver was out of date or something. Nada. If I could actually post to their forums I would also, but apparently I can't even do that right now. Sigh. Thank god the Steam starter pack stuff is permanent and not 3day stuff like the usual leveling gear you get.

LOC: I haven't heard about anything like that, but maybe trying disabling your firewall and antivirus if you have. Also switch to the Whisper tab because the lobby chat is lagging the client for some people.

mattmatik: Another follow up about the issue from the Community Manager: http://blacklight-fo...ad.php?t=347451

They weren't prepared for such an influx of players, but once they get the game stabilized it's awesome.

Thanks mate. I just tried logging in again and it let me connect! Glad to see they were able to fix it.

No problem! Most of the public servers seem to be down as I write this. I haven't been able to play today since the servers that are still up are full, so beware. Should be fixed later.

LOC: Are you trying to join matches with the Quick Join button?

I can't even get to the quick join button. The game freezes up before I can click on it most of the time, and when I can click it fast enough, I never connect I just stay frozen and then unfreeze and disconnect.

No problem! Most of the public servers seem to be down as I write this. I haven't been able to play today since the servers that are still up are full, so beware. Should be fixed later.

Was able to get into a match via quick join, had a blast. Very receptive to both new and vet players for sure. Performance on my setup is great, no lag whatsoever. Shame the main Lobby is a disaster right now, hopefully that will die down in a few days (comes with the F2P model I guess). I'm almost tempted to buy the starter pack just to support PWE.

Definitely didn't like the sticky sight aim, had to change that immediately. And I need to remember to use the Visor more :laugh:

LOC: I see other people are having similar problems - http://blacklight-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=345251 - hopefully someone figures out a fix or a QA tester/developer responds.

mattmatik: Try to use the HRV for as little time as possible. I use it for 1 second to get a quick peek. I can then use it again in 5 seconds. :p

LOC: I see other people are having similar problems - http://blacklight-fo...ad.php?t=345251 - hopefully someone figures out a fix or a QA tester/developer responds.

mattmatik: Try to use the HRV for as little time as possible. I use it for 1 second to get a quick peek. I can then use it again in 5 seconds. :p

Yeah thats what I've been doing actually, quick pop down and up. Getting destroyed in TDM, think I need to spend a lot of time looking at my customizations. Just burned 125gp on a barrel that made my gun worse, turning it into a single bullet fire :angry: I had the same issues in CoD though - I get so sick of having the crappy starter weapon that I blow my moola on some crap upgrades!

Hey Dreamspell, I take it you've been playing for a bit longer than most, have any tips for just starting out? What would be some preferred early upgrades? Also, I saw a guy in my last match had a huge shield on his back and he was able to defend with it but I could not see that anywhere in the items list?

The Assault Rifle is the most balanced weapon, and the Heavy Assault Rifle is the most overpowered weapon at the moment, which is getting nerfed soon. First I suggest finding a scope that you are comfortable with. I personally think you should save your GP, use the 3 day trials that you get when you level up, and then when you are a higher level you should permanently buy the parts that you like. The shield (Barricade) is tactical gear (first gear slot under Equipment). It is available for GP at level 21. I also recommend keeping your health above 200 HP so you can survive more bullets from most guns.

By the way, my IGN is Dreamspell. Add me in-game.

The Assault Rifle is the most balanced weapon, and the Heavy Assault Rifle is the most overpowered weapon at the moment, which is getting nerfed soon. First I suggest finding a scope that you are comfortable with. I personally think you should save your GP, use the 3 day trials that you get when you level up, and then when you are a higher level you should permanently buy the parts that you like. The shield (Barricade) is tactical gear (first gear slot under Equipment). It is available for GP at level 21. I also recommend keeping your health above 200 HP so you can survive more bullets from most guns.

By the way, my IGN is Dreamspell. Add me in-game.

Cool, will do. I did invest in a scope before logging out. What is the difference between quick game and ranked? I tried joining ranked game and it wouldn't connect me - is it a level requirement?

Like I said, I really am impressed by the game. There are probably things in the game that people find intolerable but I'm not a die-hard FPS gamer so I'm probably easily satisfied :)