Extending my wireless network range

Have you tried my solutions???

I've got ddwrt but unfortunately no duct tape or pringle cans :p haha - Also the router is in a fairly visible location so I'm not sure that would look particular attractive. You neglected to mention how one would attach said adaptations to the router!

Hmm I guess I'll try find a cheap antenna and if that fails I'll have to wire up another AP. Thanks guys.

Ddwrt,duct tape and pringles cans

LOL. That's what rednecks would do.

"You might be redneck if you use ddwrt, duct tape, and pringles cans which you set it up with for wireless range extender"

Anyway, to solve your problem: best option is that you need to get new high gain antennas for large range. I am not talking about replace the router, just replace the antennas on your existing router. So you will have better wireless coverage in your whole house.

If it doesn't work, then run cable from one room to another room and get cheap wireless router for that room.

Use the google to help yallattach thar doohicky to tharr whachacallit??

Well my static computers are hooked up via Cat5 but I think you'll find that devices such as iphone/ipads and the like don't have RJ45 ports!

Right so either a high gain antenna or run another length of CAT5 for an AP or use WDS on another router? Any consensus on the best (and most seamless) solution?

That's personally what I do at my house. It has a limited amount of wired networking (though we're working on adding some), but I had one cat 5 cable that I buried along the baseboards in the carpet to the other side of the house and ran a WRT54GL w/ DDWRT just as an access point. I had experimented with wireless extenders, but they always seemed to be more of a hassle than they were worth (possibly because I was using old fon routers as extenders, haha). If you can run at least one line, just set up an access point on the other side of the house. Plus, using the WRT54GL as an access point, I get 4 wired ports on the back of it as well instead of an access point device that just has one cat5 in and wireless only out.

Also, high gain antennas rarely help much. The way I see it, if you don't have any signal, high gain antennas probably won't help much. If you have a little signal but it's weak, they may be helpful to give you a more stable signal. They probably aren't going to give you enough signal for a full speed connection where you had none before.