SpaceX Updates (thread 2)

Sorry to hear you won't be there remixedcat :(

Back to SpaceX - the below imagery shows my artist impression of the coming Falcon 9 v1.1, based on the latest info from SpaceX and information posted by insiders. There is at least a 50/50 chance that the engine layout will evolve from a 3x3 grid to a design with 8 Merlin 1D engines in an octagon and a slightly different Merlin 1D in the center, it being more vacuum optimized and with slightly larger exhaust nozzle to match. The speculation is that its this engine that would be used later on to land the first stage for re-use.

There is also a video highlighting the development of SpaceX's PICA-X Mars-optimized heat shield.

post-347280-0-84229900-1337410287_thumb.

Thanks guys... I guess I'll watch it online with my sister...

Abort - looks like an engine showed an abnormal reading.

Last time it was an over-sensitive safety system.

UPDATE: engine 5 showed a slightly high pressure.

Whoops well that was embarrassing... I won't be able to watch the next launch :(

Actually it's their advanced flight computer that picked up a slight overpressure in engine 5 and shut it down, which prevents a major poroblem.

Next oportunity is May 22 at 07:44:34 UTC (3:44:34 am EDT)

Wonder if it would have been ok if they would have just launched... Better safe than sorry I guess. Gonna try and stay up Monday night and watch it.

and just when I had FRAPS record the stream!!!

mabye I can try again to make it down there... mom is gonna flip out.... at least her work schedule is clearer and my sis is doing better....

c'mon..... let may 22 work out.... for my dad.... even if I wont go down there please....

If today's launch window weren't instantaneous they could have reset with slightly wider tolerances and launched within 1 hour, they've done it before, but you can't do that with instant windows - it's launch exactly on time or scrub.

It's now confirmed that the abort was caused by an overly conservative pressure limit setting.

Musk tweeted: "Launch aborted: slightly high combustion chamber pressure on engine 5. Will adjust limits for countdown in a few days."

and this uncalled for comment at arstechnica:

9U2w8.png

I pwned his butt there

5owDH.png

How anyone can say that about spacex is freaking horrendous and is a scumbag.

WTH Doc?! they could have launched just fine from what i'm reading! what's this about overly conservative settings? don't be so conservative maybe? i don't know, it's not a huge delay so maybe worth it, and maybe it will give remixed more time to get down there for the launch!

as for the comment remixed shared with us, that is uncalled for. of course it's wrong that SpaceX reps gave this person the rather rude slip, but still, wishing for their failure is wishing for the failure of humanity. that's just wrong.

If F9 were only to be a cargo launcher the pressure tolerances could be set wider and the insurance companies would bear the risk for the cargo & vehicle replacement, but it isn't.

They are seeking a sweet spot where it's as safe as possible for CREW launches. The insurance companies cannot replace crew members. The cost of that is an occaisional pad abort. Gemini had them, as did the Shuttle. Part of the package for 'human rating' a launcher.

Even of this is an engine and not a sensor issue it'll only take a couple of days to fix as there is another Falcon 9 at KSC in their off-pad prep facility. They'll just pull the #5 engine from it and install it in this Falcon 9.

guess in the grander scheme of things this delay is alright, as you say, you can't replace people and it's better to play it safer. tho over caution is a sufefire way to destroy exploration...easy for me to say sitting here typing this, but it's true. i sit here typing this because for two million years there have been people willing to take the risk. or maybe i'm just waxing lyrical now.

So much for that huh. Wouldn't be surprised if they launch May 26th, 2015. At this rate, might as well send the rations in a balloon.

Want me to list how many NASA rockets from Mercury to the shuttle, and cargo EELV's, have had pad aborts? Just gof this in my email -

During rigorous inspections of the engine, SpaceX engineers discovered a faulty check valve on the Merlin engine.? We are now in the process of replacing the failed valve.? Those repairs should be complete tonight.? We will continue to review data on Sunday.? If things look good, we will be ready to attempt to launch on Tuesday, May 22nd at 3:44 AM Eastern.

A subsequent tweet revealed it was a turbopump fuel valve, which could have caused a catastrophic failure. Sounds like their hypersensitive flight computer and sensor array wins again.

NOT a fuel valve but one for nitrogen gas.

Grab the popcorn, the party's back on!!

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20120521/SPACE/305210004/SpaceX-set-second-shot-launch?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSpace%20News&nclick_check=1

>

SpaceX spokeswoman Kirstin Grantham said a valve on a nitrogen gas line used to purge the Merlin engine before ignition remained stuck open.

Tests performed Sunday appeared to show the new valve working properly and no evidence of similar problems on the eight surrounding engines.

?Things are looking good,? Grantham said Sunday after the repair work was complete.

The countdown is expected to pick up after 8 p.m. today, with loading of liquid oxygen and rocket-grade kerosene propellant starting around midnight.

>

my daddy's up there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG OMG OMG OMG YESSSS IT WORKED OMG!!!

MY DAD'S DREAM FINALLY COMING TRUE!!

I'm in tears right now and this is hitting me so many ways spirtually...

I am SO HAPPY for your dad, you and your family!! He got one helluva ride - that was as close to a perfect launch as they come, and being a night launch it lit up much of eastern Florida.

And just think:. L. Gordon "Gordo" Cooper (Mercury astronaut) and James Doohan (Scotty from Star Trek TOS) were there with him.