5,069 posts in this topic

Please post all new articles and discussion questions pertaining to religion in this official thread. Any new threads that are started on this topic will be merged here.

Please be respectful of others' beliefs and don't forget the forum rules!

[Continued from previous thread]

OK, I stand corrected. Dozy old bat.

SHE can pay the sodding bill, then!

+1, I'm with you in spirit. It kind of grates that we have to waste money on something that is inherently a religious matter, and as such should not be subsidised or funded by our government.

Technically though, I think it is our responsibility to protect a foreign head of state if they come and visit. Even if the "state" is just the Vatican/holy see (something I think is hardly worthy of such a definition).

[Continued from previous thread]

+1, I'm with you in spirit. It kind of grates that we have to waste money on something that is inherently a religious matter, and as such should not be subsidised or funded by our government.

Technically though, I think it is our responsibility to protect a foreign head of state if they come and visit. Even if the "state" is just the Vatican/holy see (something I think is hardly worthy of such a definition).

I don't agree with that at all. If we invite them maybe the responsibility should be on us, but if they invite themselves like the pope did, their state should pay the dues in my opinion. For me though the reason that it bothers me is that we paid money to protect someone who covered up for paedophiles. In any other child abuse cases, the public seem to go absolutely stir crazy, but when it's a man of faith suddenly everyone wants to be their friend.

I don't agree with that at all. If we invite them maybe the responsibility should be on us, but if they invite themselves like the pope did, their state should pay the dues in my opinion. For me though the reason that it bothers me is that we paid money to protect someone who covered up for paedophiles. In any other child abuse cases, the public seem to go absolutely stir crazy, but when it's a man of faith suddenly everyone wants to be their friend.

Hypocrisy is easy to overlook when faith is concerned (looks pointedly at Mazhar)

post-15711-1289133003561.png

A few facts that you may not know. Muslims believe that the Q'uran is the divine speech of God, revealed through the Archangel Gabriel to Muhammad, from around 610 to 632 AD. They regard it as the primary miracle to prove that Muhammad is indeed the greatest prophet of all. Muslims revere Moses and Jesus also, but do not hold that Jesus was divine. Christians around the world who are not particularly educated about the book consider it the closest thing to the Devil Himself that anyone is likely to see until Armageddon.

Most of these Christians (and there are other denominations and religions involved in loathing the book) believe that the Q'uran instructs its followers to strap on dynamite and C-4 explosives, and go kill infidels (Jews and Christians) in order to get to Heaven and be rewarded with 72 dark-haired virgins.

The problem is that the word for these "virgins" is "houri," which has many meanings. It may mean nothing more than angels, meaning that 72 angels will minister to the departed in heaven, and "minister" does not necessarily mean sexual intercourse.

Most Muslims believe in these 72 virgins in the same way that most Christians believe that they will be outfitted with harps, wings, and walk on clouds.

But the terrorist organizations, dedicated to hatred of Jews and Christians, indoctrinate their primarily illiterate trainees into believing that their suicides and bombing of said infidels will be the path to Heaven. There is no such statement anywhere in the Q'uran. It is quite a peaceful book, advocating understanding and tolerance of the three major Monotheisms.

1 person likes this

i can argue about islam all day long, but i found it pretty useless, since muslims tend to lie(or ignore or divert the subject) so much that is crazy.(as long as you argue about islamic values or occupation and such. anything else, they are pretty cool.)

so il correct you insted, there no 3 monotheism religions, just 2, judaism (the first religion that brought the one god religion, way way before islam.) second is islam, the "youngest" religion of the three.

christianity can't be monotheistic, because they believe in jesus, not directly in god.

1 person likes this

i can argue about islam all day long, but i found it pretty useless, since muslims tend to lie...

Or may be you run out of your arguments.

Poorly written, you don't even refer to the part that do refer to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jihad

Muhammad was a warrior. The overall aim of Islam is to spread around the world and it has done well doing so. Remember the Ottoman Empire ?

i can argue about islam all day long, but i found it pretty useless, since muslims tend to lie(or ignore or divert the subject) so much that is crazy.(as long as you argue about islamic values or occupation and such. anything else, they are pretty cool.)

so il correct you insted, there no 3 monotheism religions, just 2, judaism (the first religion that brought the one god religion, way way before islam.) second is islam, the "youngest" religion of the three.

christianity can't be monotheistic, because they believe in jesus, not directly in god.

Christianity IS monotheistic, Jesus is the Son of God, who died for our Sins, or he's a Prophet of God, but God is still primary, unless you're Catholic and you have to deal with all the Saints and the "Virgin" Mary

Yes Jesus is revered but does not supersede God, since he's the Son of God he is part of God, and also part of the Holy Trinity

Christianity IS monotheistic, Jesus is the Son of God, who died for our Sins, or he's a Prophet of God, but God is still primary, unless you're Catholic and you have to deal with all the Saints and the "Virgin" Mary

Yes Jesus is revered but does not supersede God, since he's the Son of God he is part of God, and also part of the Holy Trinity

Polytheistic doesn't mean that there's isn't a supreme god, it just means there's multiple deities.

Jesus is God

1 person likes this

judaism (the first religion that brought the one god religion...

I don't think this is technically correct, is it? I am no expert, but I am pretty sure there were a few, even small short lived ones, prior to Judaism.

Just another historical account that has had ~1500 years to be modified by translation after translation, and interpretation after interpretation. To consider any such writing to be "the word of god" is funny to me.

1 person likes this

Hmm nm

Fofinho.jpg

This is my god. It has a bunch of mystical properties and stuff, but I never bothered to spread them around.

4 people like this

Cute dog... is that a Sharpei??

Cute dog... is that a Sharpei??

Most of my religion scholars would say that it is a Mini-Pe?, but some rogue sects claim that it is a Shar-Pe?.

This is my god. It has a bunch of mystical properties and stuff, but I never bothered to spread them around.

He looks like he can spread his mystical stuff around by himself just fine! :rofl:

[Threads merged]

Merged from: Demystifying the Quran

Religion posts go in religion threads.

Hypocrisy is easy to overlook when faith is concerned (looks pointedly at Mazhar)

What you exactly mean?

What you exactly mean?

He means guys like Ahmadinejad, a true hypocrite.

Oh the Silence! Do we run out of the discussions?

Oh the Silence! Do we run out of the discussions?

More like people are tired of you rejecting/running circles around all their points.

1 person likes this

Some facts about Islam: it is illegal to make,compose or listen to music. Muhammad's sole mission was the distraction of every musical instrument. Anyone, who listen tomusic

@mazhar

I've been meaning to ask you something but this has reminded me.

When watching a Richard Dawking's program about Faith Schools in the UK he interviewed a group of secondary school pupils and was asking about what they were taught regarding science etc and one thing stuck in my mind. One of the pupils said that according to the Quran "fresh water and salt water do not mix, they are kept separate to provide us with drinking water" (quote of the pupil). I haven't had a chance with how busy I have been with moving house to start reading the Quran to know how true this is? Is this a common Muslim belief?