Which WiFi channel to choose? Other tips for signal quality?

does Xirrus Wifi Inspector?? Please install it and give it a try!

It doesn't do anything different at all when I disable 5Ghz, so no.

The only ways to be sure is to either test with a 5Ghz network, or look up the type of your WiFi card. Mine for example is an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200. But I have to set the mode in which it runs (2.4 only/simultaneous/5 only) in this Vaio Smart Network tray app. On most computers you can change it in device manager too, especially with Intel cards.

40Mhz channels are usually disabled by default too. I had to enable channel bonding in Device Manager manually before I could reach 300Mbps on my network. Ofc I don't get that, but I do get 200Mbps LAN-to-LAN now.

aww I though it would detect and alert you... It does if you got DNS problems...

This is the same issue. When the TV (actually cable box) is on, the wifi becomes unusable... just don't know how to fix that/why it's doing it?

I would do, but the point is to solve the problem in her parent's apartment. The apartment we will be moving in to next month has it's own router and internet connection, so we don't need a router there.

This thought crossed my mind...

But back to the problem... it's definitely when the cable box is on... can anyone explain why or how to fix it?

Thanks!! :)

there's obviously some interference going on. figure out what the cable box could possibly be doing wirelessly, and you've got your culprit.

since the goal is to fix the parent's apartment, you can just leave the new router right there and replace the old one. i really don't understand why you're insisting on sticking to 2.4ghz when you're getting interference on that frequency.

i mean, i guess it's possible that the tv box is interfering with more than just the 2.4ghz spectrum, but you can always return the new router if it doesn't work either...

Thanks everyone for all the replies. As is always the case when we techies are troubleshooting user's problems, it's difficult to assess what is going on, and what the 100% solution is going to be, without physically being there. I move to Norway in just under a month, so I'm going to check it out then.

I'll update this thread as and when. Any other ideas in the meantime RE: cable box are appreciated.

Thanks guys :)