On April 10, Miranda Clark was getting ready to line up for the start of the 1,600-meter race at the Ellsworth Invitational. The Russell (Kan.) High student was ready to roll when she noticed that she had earrings in, a result of a recent ear piercing. Knowing that wearing jewelry in a race is forbidden in sporting events by the Kansas High School Activities Association, Clark knew she couldn't run with her earrings showing, so she did what most athletes do to make jewelry less conspicuous: She covered them up with tape.

As it turns out, that decision was the worst she could have made. As soon as Clark finished the event, a track official, Jim Cross, approached her and asked what was under her tape. When she admitted that the tape was covering an earring, Cross promptly judged that she was exhibiting "unsportsmanlike conduct," a ruling that disqualified the Russell (Kan.) High runner from the entire meet; Clark was scheduled to run the 3,200 meters later in the afternoon.

Perhaps most infuriating for Clark and her teammates was this bizarre technicality: If Clark had left her earrings in but not covered them up with tape she would have only received a warning and not been disqualified. As such, by trying to do the right thing, the Russell runner was punished more harshly than if she had openly disobeyed state regulations.

more

As such, by trying to do the right thing, the Russell runner was punished more harshly than if she had openly disobeyed state regulations.

She didn't do the right thing though, she tried to cover up her violation. That is why they laid the hammer down on her.

• Like 2

stupid rules cause stupid issues once again

it honestly shouldn't be that big of issue that she's wearing earrings

• Like 2

The girls at track meets at my school were always told to cover up jewelry. WTH is his problem?

exactly, it's not like the earrings are giving her an unfair advantage or anything like that

DO they really think that the earring will make her run faster? :/

Agreed -- unless she borrowed the earrings from (the god) Mercury.

This is plain silly.

She didn't do the right thing though, she tried to cover up her violation. That is why they laid the hammer down on her.

no, in amateur sports covering up body art with tape is the standard practice.

I didn't know this. Why are athlete's not allowed to wear earrings?

We were told for "safety" reasons. No jewelry--even Livestrong bracelets or watches. Usually they were easy on the watches thing though.

Now at the NCAA level, no one cares.

It's a stupid thing, honestly.

I didn't know this. Why are athlete's not allowed to wear earrings?

no reason, just High Schools and their stupid pointless rules anymore

We were told for "safety" reasons. No jewelry--even Livestrong bracelets or watches. Usually they were easy on the watches thing though.

Now at the NCAA level, no one cares.

It's a stupid thing, honestly.

like i said, it's just high schools making up rules because they can

DO they really think that the earring will make her run faster? :/

exactly, it's not like the earrings are giving her an unfair advantage or anything like that

Agreed -- unless she borrowed the earrings from (the god) Mercury.

This is plain silly.

Its about avoiding Injury. During distance races athletes are right up next to others and if something when they bunch up and fall earrings can get caught and sometimes ripped out of ears and a necklace can be pull down. I have seen some nasty falls when I ran track distance runners can get aggressive since they dont have to stay in their lanes like the short sprints.

Its about avoiding Injury. During distance races athletes are right up next to others and if something when they bunch up and fall earrings can get caught and sometimes ripped out of ears and a necklace can be pull down. I have seen some nasty falls when I ran track distance runners can get aggressive since they dont have to stay in their lanes like the short sprints.

injuries are going to happen no matter what

over doing rules like this is actually doing more harm than good to the current generation

let me put this a couple of ways

1. the more rules that schools make and the less sens they make, the more the students are going to want to break them and not get caught (that's not a good way to teach our kids now is it?)

2. as far as the overly done safety rules go, if the kids aren't allowed the chance to make the mistakes what's going to happen when they get out into the real world and are no longer suppressed by those rules?

injuries are going to happen no matter what

over doing rules like this is actually doing more harm than good to the current generation

let me put this a couple of ways

1. the more rules that schools make and the less sens they make, the more the students are going to want to break them and not get caught (that's not a good way to teach our kids now is it?)

2. as far as the overly done safety rules go, if the kids aren't allowed the chance to make the mistakes what's going to happen when they get out into the real world and are no longer suppressed by those rules?

Yes injuries are going to happen but injuries with jewerly can be avoided by not having them wear it. I dont really what you are trying to point out in #1 and #2. She tried to cover it and got caught no big deal, this is not some life lesson or bigger role in the real world.

The runner's father is a joke, "This is just high school sports, we should be promoting and encouraging our young people to compete and be active, not discouraging." I dont see how this event discourages people to stop being active. He is also mad because others havent been caught.

Yes injuries are going to happen but injuries with jewerly can be avoided by not having them wear it. I dont really what you are trying to point out in #1 and #2. She tried to cover it and got caught no big deal, this is not some life lesson or bigger role in the real world.

The only reason they do these moronic rules is because us Americans are notoriously sue happy idiots, and always looking to blame someone else for their actions

Way is worse is that you should leave jewellery in after a piercing fora certain amount of tim to reduce the risk of infection or the holes closing. My sister had problems because she had very sensitive ears but her school did not allow earrings on a day to day level. If she wore plastic studs her ears would get infected and if she left nothing in it, her ears would close up. Only Gold earrings would sit nicely. It was a problem and she had her ears re-pierced a couple of times because teachers would keep making her take them out. Eventually the school gave her an exemption to the rule as long as the gold earrings were just gold studs.

I ran track and XC in high school. Taping the earrings was not about seeing the jewelry. It is done as a safety precaution. The jewelry could get snagged and tear the ear or hurt someone else if you fall on them (hurdles, relays). Tape significantly reduces the risk. The official is an idiot.

no, in amateur sports covering up body art with tape is the standard practice.

That's fine except when it is used to knowingly cover up a violation of the rules. Not saying the rules aren't dumb, just saying they are what they are and she tried to circumvent them and paid the price for trying to weasel around it.