Why Do You Need an Amp?

Sir Topham Hatt

Why is it advisable to purchase an amplifier?

Does it actually improve / change the sound to movies and games?

My girlfriends dad has one and his sounds are great, really deep bass but not overpowering. I have a 5.1 system plugged in to a PC (just plain old motherboard connectors) but it was on the low end market, a Creative iTrigue 5600.

So I plug some wires from the PC into the amp, then the wires go from there to the speakers? Not sure I would want to buy a cheaper one (?100-?200) but then I can't really afford to buy a ?600 / ?700 one.

Daedroth

PC connectors are generally different to the audio connections on an amplifier. PC sound systems are usually only the speakers and a sub-woofer, not an amp.

richardsim7

The quality comes from the DAC (Digital to analogue converter) ;)

cork1958

PC connectors are generally different to the audio connections on an amplifier. PC sound systems are usually only the speakers and a sub-woofer, not an amp.

Yeah,

Can't say as I've ever seen an amp hooked to a computer, although anything is possible. Don't know why anyone would want to hook an amp to a computer really either?

neo1911

A good Amp will need good speakers to make use of its full potential and vice versa for good speakers. Sound quality is highly subjective beyond certain price point. So if you are satisfied by the motherboard sound sound, don't bother spending. It's an endless expense pit when it comes to the hobby of being an Audiophile.

|Rapture|

Yeah,

Can't say as I've ever seen an amp hooked to a computer, although anything is possible. Don't know why anyone would want to hook an amp to a computer really either?

Amp as in a stereo amp or A/V unit not a guitar amp. Reason you do it is for sound quality. A pair of half decent bookshelf speakers sounds better than most PC equipment. There are also plenty of sound cards on the market with connectors for all kinds of amplifiers, the Asus Xonar Essence range is pretty good and not too expensive either.

Glassed Silver

A good Amp will need good speakers to make use of its full potential and vice versa for good speakers. Sound quality is highly subjective beyond certain price point. So if you are satisfied by the motherboard sound sound, don't bother spending. It's an endless expense pit when it comes to the hobby of being an Audiophile.

There's some truth in that...

But it seems his desire for better quality is already there and he has heard the difference, so it's lost...

Also, in before cooky lol

Glassed Silver:mac

g0dzilla

I don't think I've ever seen this setup before, i.e. PC sound system connected to an amplifier?!

If you want nice sound to be produced from your PC (particularly for movies and gaming), just make sure you have a good quality set of surround sound speakers such as the Logitech offerings and couple that with a good dedicated sound card; such as the Creative X-Fi or Asus Xonar ones :D

Depicus

I hook up my MBA via an amp for 5.1 and boy does it make a difference, the sound on the MBA is quite tinny but via the amp sounds amazing. Even live TV from the net comes through as 5.1 although I think it may be stereo just pumped to the rear speakers as well.

For me worth every penny for the sounds alone. Mine was about ?6/700 but also makes life easier for switching between PS3/Xbox/TV/Mac

Salutary7

The quality comes from the DAC (Digital to analogue converter) ;)

Absolutely.

Why is it advisable to purchase an amplifier?

For your purposes it might be better to get a quality sound card and use your existing speakers. Otherwise, you could spend a bit more and do digital out to a quality speaker system.

Sir Topham Hatt

Amp as in A/V not guitar amp.

My friend's setup has his PS3 plugged into the amp I think, not his PC. However I only have a PC.

So basically to have a better quality of sound, I need some good speakers and a sound card.

g0dzilla

Yes, that's correct; for your purposes the right surround sound speakers and possibly a quality sound card (if you can justify/afford this expense) would do the trick!

A dedicated sound card really enhances the gaming experience even through the use of traditional headphones :D

I also have my PS3 hooked up through a Yamaha receiver/amplifier via HDMI and Optical for the audio, but the PC is a totally different ballgame...

Slammers

If you want better quality sound from your computer, buy better speakers and a good dedicated sound card.

You don't need an amp, computer IS the amp.....

You'd only need any amp if your using standard speakers that don't plug directly into your computer.

Even if you plug a $5000 amp into your computer, it's not gonna magically make your **** sound better on your same speakers. It's still getting the same signal from your sound card. You just need to get good computer speakers unless your wanting the home cinema kinda deal.

threetonesun

You don't need an amp, computer IS the amp.....

I'm confused by this entire thread... yes, some computers have a class T amplifier in them, but most sound cards generate enough power to only drive an amplifier or headphones. The amplifier is built into the speakers (somewhere, usually in the subwoofer if it has one). Otherwise, you're limited to those 3-5 watt laptop type speakers.

So, you're going to use an amplifier either way. The real question is, what happens to the signal on its way from it's digital origin to your ears. If you want a better amplifier, you can buy a home A/V one, but in reality depending on what you listen to (compressed music / movies) and your sound card (on the motherboard?), it probably won't sound any different.

The real advantage of home audio amplifiers is that they're usually bigger, and can drive speakers with more power as they have more room to vent, which means you get clearer sound at higher volumes. Also, you can get a huge upgrade in sound by getting a better subwoofer... usually PC ones are designed to go "boom boom boom" to make shotguns sound better in games... they're not often well mixed with the other speakers, which can make them overbearing in movies.

protocol7

I've never used PC speakers. Even when I had Amigas I had then connected to my hifi system. At the most basic level you just need any amp that has an input. My old hifi didn't have a AUX input so I used the CD player one as I was playing the CDs from the PC.

Currently my PC is connected to a home cinema receiver driving a pair of bookshelf speakers. I game and watch movies on this too, but it's primarily for music so 2.0 is good enough for me. My room isn't laid out properly to get the full advantage of 5.1 anyway.

If you have a home cinema receiver then you have the option of using digital output on your PC. This means that your crappy onboard soundcard will output the same ones and zeroes to the amp as a high end dedicated one. If you don't have a receiver you should be able to pick up a used one pretty cheap (especially if it's a non-HDMI one). Then just get some proper (i.e. non-computer) speakers.

cacoe

You only really need an amp connected to your computer if you're using rather large speakers, also, obviously speakers which don't have 3.5mm jacks.

neo1911

I have an Onkyo amp/receiver connected to my laptop using HDMI cable. The amp feeds the 5.1 speakers.

If you can do this type of setup, use a movie player like VLC/PotPlayer X64 which can perform bitstream / audio passthrough over HDMI. This way your amp does the job of decoding the pure audio signal (DTS/DTS:HD MA/AC3/DD) and you get the best sound quality your speakers are capable of.

I notice substantial audio quality improvement while doing a bitstream / audio passthrough.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Hamza Jawad
      Microsoft highlights new products and investments ahead of Inspire 2019
      by Hamza Jawad

Ahead of Microsoft's Inspire 2019 partner conference, the tech giant has published a news round-up regarding new investments in various programs. The investments are primarily aimed toward improving the company's partner engagement in the cloud era.

There have been some improvements to current programs today, as well as introduction of new ones. Microsoft unveiled new features for Teams, along with the announcement that it had crossed the 13 million users mark. The service is now also available with existing Office 365 ProPlus installations. Moving on, new integrations for Dynamics 365 have been mentioned, along with updates to the service's Nonprofit Accelerator. Additionally, the Business Applications ISV Connect program is now also generally available.

With regards to new products and programs for the Azure cloud, the Azure lighthouse has just been introduced, offering the required capabilities for partners to implement cross-customer management without any additional costs. Overall, it is said to provide greater security and visibility on the customer end as well. Furthermore, the Azure Migration Program has been launched to help transfer existing applications and systems to Azure with ease.

There have also been a few announcements to help in furthering opportunities for partners - one of the base ideas behind Inspire conferences. A range of benefits to expand profitability will now be provided to partners through Microsoft Security, which is now generally available. Moreover, advanced specializations including Windows Server and SQL Server Migration, Modernization of Web Applications, and more have been introduced in Azure. Lastly, additional benefits, including a rewards program and new pricing models, are being rolled out this month for firms that "publish transactable offers" in the tech giant's expanded commercial marketplace.

This year's Inspire partner conference is set to be held on the coming Monday, July 15, with keynotes beginning at 8:30 a.m. PT / 11:30 a.m. ET. You can learn more about it here.

• By zikalify
      Google begins rolling out dynamic email to Gmail web users
      by Paul Hill

Google has begun rolling out dynamic email to the Gmail web client. Dynamic email allows companies to send more interactive emails to drive usage. To accompany the launch, Google has worked with several businesses to get them started using the new feature. Google announced last year that AMP-powered dynamic emails were entering the developer preview stage.

The companies that have started sending dynamic emails include Booking.com, Despegar, Doodle, Ecwid, Freshworks, Nexxt, OYO Rooms, Pinterest, and redBus. The most familiar name on that list is probably Pinterest. With dynamic emails, Pinterest now lets you discover new posts right from your inbox and save them to boards. Different businesses use the service in different ways but hopefully they’ll help you stuff done in fewer clicks right from your Gmail inbox.

Google said that mobile support for dynamic emails will arrive soon and that if you’re reading emails from a desktop client, such as Thunderbird, you’ll get a static version of the message. Those in charge of G Suite accounts will be able to enable dynamic emails in the next few days via the Admin console.

Developers who want to get started building dynamic emails are encouraged to head on over to the AMP blog which explains how to get started with the format.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Microsoft now supports AMP directly from Bing's mobile search results
      by Jay Bonggolto

While Microsoft's Bing has been supporting Google’s Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) since 2016, that capability was limited only to the Bing app for both iOS and Android. Now, Microsoft announced that it has started allowing AMP-supported web pages to work directly from Bing’s mobile search results, thanks to the release of Bing AMP viewer and Bing AMP Cache.

With the new release, Bing users will be able to experience fast load times of AMP-enabled web pages on their preferred mobile browser. Microsoft said it initially rolled out the AMP viewer and AMP carrousel in the U.S. earlier this week for the news carousel. Those residing in the country may check out the feature on their mobile device by visiting the Bing domain, searching for news topics, and then tapping the search results bearing the AMP icon.

That's only the first part of its global release, with the Redmond-based company promising to continue rolling out that support to more websites and regions in the future. More links in the search results pages will also be supported soon.

For AMP webmasters and AMP advertisers, Microsoft recommends allowing the Bingbot crawler to obtain AMP content and enabling cross-origin resource sharing for the bing-amp.com domain in order to push AMP content to Bing.

• By zikalify
      Google wants to modernise email with AMP for Email
      by Paul Hill

Google has announced that it is launching AMP for Email through the Gmail Developer Preview in an attempt to modernise email. The internet giant hopes that AMP can make email more engaging, interactive and “actionable”. It won’t be long until you get to experience amped up emails because Pinterest, Booking.com, and Doodle are all apparently working on content.

In its announcement, Google said:

Your browser does not support video.

Google has already opened up AMP for Email to developers, you can sign up here if you want to join the programme. Otherwise, Google says it’ll bring support to Gmail later this year. Thankfully, AMP for Email is an open spec which means that other email clients will be able to incorporate the technology too, so there will be no lock out if you use an alternative email client.

Source: Google | Image via The AMP Project (YouTube)

• By vishal1082
      Google is expanding its lightning-fast AMP support to display ads and landing pages
      by Vishal Laul

Just over a year ago, Google launched the AMP project – Accelerated Mobile Pages – with the aim of speeding up web pages, but with a focus on static content like news stories and blogs.

AMP have since been adopted by 900,000 domains, publishing more than two billion AMP pages. Google claims that these pages render and load with a median time of less than a second. That’s mighty quick, especially on a mobile device.

Today, Google is slightly widening the scope of AMP by allowing advertisers to use an AMP page as the landing page for advertisements published in Google’s search results. In effect, clicking an ad in Google Search could lead to an advertisement that opens in less than a second.

For now, the feature is limited to a beta, requiring advertisers to sign up before they can participate; big-name advertisers like Johnson & Johnson, and eBay have already been testing the feature, and have noticed increased engagement.

In a statement, Paul Ortayer, Head of Digital Analytics – EMEA at Johnson & Johnson, said:

In addition to that, Google is also taking a significant step in making advertisements themselves load faster. Starting from this week, a “significant number of ads” on the Google Display Network will load in the AMP Ads format, if they are loading on an AMP page.

Google says that AMP ads load up to five seconds faster than regular ads, despite looking identical.

At Google I/O earlier this week, Google announced that AMP pages are now loading twice as fast than they used to when the project was announced 18 months ago. It’s clear that Google is still improving the platform, and the speed gains are proving to be a great boost in attracting users concerned about mobile data usage.

China’s two major search engines, Baidu and Sogou, accounted for 90% of China’s search market in 2016 and announced three months ago that they would be linking to AMP pages in their search results. Yahoo Japan also joined them in Japan.

The AMP project is growing to become a significant part of the mobile web. Hopefully, Google’s commitment will continue to bring more improvements to the platform.

Source: AMP Project Blog via Mashable | Image: YouTube (TheAMPProject)