Superantispyware vs Spybot Search and Destroy

Hey fellas :)

I work for an IT repair and service company, and we obviously get quite a few desktop/notebooks come through with viruses for cleanup.

How we used to do it was run Malwarebytes and AVG (don't ask me why :rofl: )

Once i started working here, i managed to convince the other techs to use Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, which is what i have always used in the past. Now, however, I hear that Spybot S&D may actually be better?

Essentially what i am asking is the perfect gauntlet of 2 antivirus programs that will get rid of all (99.999%) of infections. Malwarebytes is pretty much a given, and i would rather things that can be run from safe mode, don't require an installation, or can be run from Hirens Mini-XP mode (this is a massive plus for us).

In the end, i believe it comes down to the 2 antiviruses shown in the topic title. Remember, I only care about on-demand scan functionality, as that is all it will be used for.

Cheers!

Malwarebytes and Super for me also. I used to use Spybot instead of Super, but it's gotten extremely slow. I do put Spybot on machine and use the Immunize option, though. Just don't scan with it.

Speaking of Safe Mode and cleaning, there are several AV LiveCDs that work well: (They do contain duplicates, but just a quick search for you.)

http://www.malwarehelp.org/anti-malware-bootable-rescue-cd-dvd-download.html

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-av-cd.html

I worked for an IT company a few years ago where we did help desk support also. Our tools were:

Malwarebytes

SuperAntispyware

CCleaner

HijackThis

Microsoft Security Essentials

What really helped us was we had a multiple interface connector for notebook SATA drives, IDE drives, and desktop SATA drives that could plug into a laptop or another PC via USB. I found that more times than most after running these software packages while its a slave on another machine almost always cleared out all the virus infections on a drive. Even those that didn't boot , I'd plug it in when i was able to get into Safe Mode again and run the scans then to get any missed traces then run CCleaner to fix the registry and delete temp files and junk files.

Sounds like Superantispyware is still the way to go ^.^

In regards to that Sata-USB adapter, we have those as well, they're amazing :D I have a workshop machine here with sata cables hanging out the side that i normally use though.

I will start using TDSSKiller on machines as well i reckon, for the sake of 30 seconds to run, it's worth it. I also generally turn system restore off and on again, as lots of viruses hide themselves in the restore points, and this removes all of those.

I will always try to run the scans on a live system first though, As that way it picks up everything loaded into memory as well.

You do realize they also make a portable version now...

http://portableapps.com/apps/security/spybot_portable

Personally , when you are trying to get rid of items do not just rely on one form of removal.

I have found that some will think certain things are spyware,but others are not.

Some will scan and remove active bits of male-ware, but leave some things behind.

The more items you can actually use to scan a system I would say the better you can say the items are removed.

Though the best method is always a save the customer data (virus scan it) format and install the OS over again, but the more scans the better.

Personally- On my XP laptop I use Norton Internet Security , Malewarebytes and the occasional TDSSkiller (portable).(I also maintain a backup image done from my Ubuntu that I can expand over the XP partition and be back to running in no time)(I also use ccleaner to monitor my restore points) The best thing I have found is to after an install is to copy the original restore point to other medium to copy back should you ever have a real issue.

On my Windows 7 I use NIS , Spybots (the immunize) also use TDSSkiller occasionally. (and monitor my start-ups using ccleaner).