Classic Shell Skin to Get Windows 7 Lookalike Start Menu & Button

IE10 is the same as IE9 or at least it looks exactly the same. But there is no Ie10 or download link for Ie10 for Windows 7. And even if there was,I will never install it. Just like I will never install IE9,I am sticking with IE8. Andrea Borman.

Andrea, IE10 isn't out yet for Windows 7. It is not recommended to keep using older browsers, they are the front line defense in the security of your system. Why you think you need to keep using older software on your machines is beyond me, but you are putting yourself in danger of being had by using old browsers.

Yes,and Windows 7 is faster than Windows 8. And Windows XP is slightly faster than Windows 7. So Windows XP and Windows 7 tie as the top 2 versions of Windows. Andrea Borman.

Wow... You really just don't have a clue what you're talking about, do you Andrea Borman?

Just when I thought I had seen it all someone installs MS Bob on Windows 8. Mind = blown.

Kind of impressive that 8 can still run a program that's what, 17 years or so old? (Well the x86 version can anyway.) If anything the desktop will stand out from the crowd a bit...

So, this thread is about a Classic Shell skin... anyone recall that? :p Let's try to stay on topic now please, lest this thread gets put to rest.

• 3 months later...

Version 3.6.2 adds:

- Faster skipping of Metro

- Ability to view, search and launch Windows Store apps from a neat sub-menu

- Jump lists, fully compatible with the Windows Taskbar.

- Many other minor fixes.

movr8.png

Those screenshots of skins look nothing like Windows 7 or Windows XP.

Agree with this. Nearly every single customization program/skin whatever I have ever used has been crap and buggy. Looked nothing like it should and always had parts of bad anti-aliasing and transparency always looked bad. I was tempted to try Classic Shell but after seeing the screenshots Im not going to bother.

I like the windows start screen, but I do miss the start menu I wont deny that.

I am just going to try and embrace the changes and get used to it.

Removed bit about Andrea, she seems to attract trouble and I aint getting involved! xD

Agree with this. Nearly every single customization program/skin whatever I have ever used has been crap and buggy. Looked nothing like it should and always had parts of bad anti-aliasing and transparency always looked bad. I was tempted to try Classic Shell but after seeing the screenshots Im not going to bother.

I like the windows start screen, but I do miss the start menu I wont deny that.

I am just going to try and embrace the changes and get used to it.

Removed bit about Andrea, she seems to attract trouble and I aint getting involved! xD

Might try one of those apps.

I agree with people on the design when they say it's ugly. It is capable of being completely skinned and transformed but the defaults are FUGLY. For all three styles. But my hands are tied as far as defaults are concerned. I am tester, not developer. I will try to create an exact Windows 7 Start Menu-like skin in a few days.

• 4 months later...

In case someone interested, we have released a skin for Classic Shell.

It looks good in Windows 8, much better than default skins. The skins shipping as part of Classic Shell do not match the look of the Windows 7 Start Menu or the style of Windows 8. Many settings also need to be heavily tweaked to get a more closer look. We tried to match the look on Windows 8 while making some changes from the Windows 7 style. For example, the skin has square corners, not rounded corners, like Windows 8 has. Also, because Windows 8 no longer has blur or glow, the glass is replaced by simple transparency, just like the Windows 8 taskbar uses. Semi-transparent Start Menu without blur makes the content behind it much harder to read, so we made the skin with very subtle transparency, that keeps the content behind it readable.

Sample:

lQwlWHK.png

Download link

Please read provided FAQ.

• 1 year later...