Dell Inspiron 1525 - Windows 7 - Microphone not working - Sigmatel Driver

Hi,

I was using Windows Vista x86 and the microphone/speakers were working perfectly until very recently when I installed Windows 7 x86 on my Dell Inspiron 1525. Initially the microphone worked, but the volume levels were abysmally low, but soon enough that stopped working too. Now I can't get the microphone to work no matter what I try.

After reading alot, I found that installing the Sigmatel drivers available on the Dell website, (even though for Vista x86) would fix the problem. So I downloaded - http://www.dell.com/...oductCode=False and updated my chipset driver too.

I was able to install the Chipset driver but the Sigmatel driver fails to install returning an error - "ExitError.Error=Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup again.", after a few tries, it just gives the error that the driver is not meant for the hardware.

It'll be much appreciated if anyone could provide any sort of help in getting the microphone to work again. Is there any specific custom driver that I can install for my laptop? Any help or nudge in the right direction would be very very much appreciated.

I'm also checking out modified drivers since they seem to have worked for people, but I've not been able to find specifically for my laptop.

Thanks in advance,

Sibot