What's your smartphone? And what ROM are you using?

Sensation, running CoinDroid 1.0.1 - sense 4 port... that is awesome!

Can I ask, what does changing the kernal do? I know about modded roms, but what's the benefit of changing the kernal?

I don't know specifically, but when I've done it, it's resulted in more stability. It's usually recommended per ROM.

Can I ask, what does changing the kernal do? I know about modded roms, but what's the benefit of changing the kernal?

They allow to overclock the processor, increase battery life, and increase the speed of the phone.

Just updated to Nexx's CyanogenMod 9 Alpha ICS 4.0.4 AOSP ROM, running quite well on my HTC Desire S. Much faster than the Virtuous Affinity ROM I had previously with Sense and WidgetLocker Homescreen is quite good too!

HTC Desire S with MIUI ICS

How do you feel with MIUI? It's been my favorite rom for a while right after CM.

HTC Desire S with MIUI ICS

Is Temple Run and some other games working on MIUI? Last time I looked I didn't think it was and y'know, a device without Temple Run is like living with no skeleton :/

Samsung galaxy nexus. AOKP m5 with Franco kernel nightly

Galaxy S running Cyanogen Mod 9 latest nightly build. Now want to b****-slap those Samsung Executives who claimed Galaxy S can't run ICS.

Upgrade to 7.2 nightlies. A lot more enjoyable

Does it FC a lot less? Man it really irks me that the freaking keyboard can FC! For the love of all that is holy, why does this happen?

Samsung Galaxy Ace with the official Samsung 2.3 Gingerbread ROM. I would root and install a ROM for ICS but I probably would wind up bricking the phone, and I don't want to void my warranty.

Does it FC a lot less? Man it really irks me that the freaking keyboard can FC! For the love of all that is holy, why does this happen?

Physical or onscreen? The physical has never FCd on me and onscreen I use Swype but I dont remember anything like that on stock KB....

Samsung Galaxy Ace with the official Samsung 2.3 Gingerbread ROM. I would root and install a ROM for ICS but I probably would wind up bricking the phone, and I don't want to void my warranty.

No you wouldnt. Its actually hard to brick your phone :p You just have to read the instructions correctly :)

I say it is hard to brick because most root programs are simple frontends for ADB that run scripts (which have failsafes) that root your phone.

Also, rooting (depends on carrier) may or may not void the warrenty. I think on all (if not most) it does void your warrenty if you unlock the bootloader (even using HTC's tool or something similar).

On a additional note, you can always unroot and relock your bootloader to turn it back to 100% stock :)

Now

(T Mobile) Vibrant (Galaxy S) - CyangenMod 7.2 RC1 (They fixed the e911 issue in 7.2 version - development/support of Vbirant on resumed again by CyangenMod)

Process of switching to Sprint - Will switch latter this week

(Sprint) Galaxy Nexus (one just released) since it's android 4.0.4 already will keep it at stock for now.

Galaxy S Vibrant on T-Mobile - Slim ICS 4.0.4

I'm getting either an unlocked Galaxy Nexus GSM or Galaxy S III for my next upgrade.

Nokia Lumia 800.

Windows Phone 7.10.8107.79

Firmware 1600.2487.8107.12070

So... wrong thread or something? :p

It depends a bit. Some kernels allow some additional features like overclocking/underclocking as an example.

I'm using cm7.2 on my HTC Desire and I flashed Tiamat kernel which allows me to underclock to 128mhz and overclock up to 1.2ghz (native highest speed is 998mhz on my Desire).

Also brings additional governors like smartass v2, which is said to have a better control over cpu demand increasing this way the battery life. Of course if I keep running high cpu tasks will end up spending more but you get the idea :)

If you need additional tips about how to's let me know and I might be able to help you :)

But pretty much you have to get a kernel compatible with your rom. Some kernels are also more stable than others, but that's another story.