uTorrent not obeying "maximum upload rate"

Question

Within Preferences > Bandwidth, I have set the following:

• Maximum upload rate: 12 KB/s
  • When not downloading: 16 KB/s

I have applied the rates to "transport overhead" and "uTP connections".

However at the moment, my client is uploading at 75 KB/s.

Any idea why uTorrent is not not obeying the set "maximum upload rate"?

When I right-click on the upload information in uTorrent's status bar, it correctly shows 12 KB/s.

I am running the latest release of uTorrent (3.1.3).

16 answers to this question

I'd hit up the uTorrent forums.

In particular the dark knight is worth talking to.

The development/community teams are very active on their forums so they should be able to help :)

I'd hit up the uTorrent forums.

In particular the dark knight is worth talking to.

The development/community teams are very active on their forums so they should be able to help :)

I have enabled "Limit local peer bandwidth" and that appears to have solved it.

I'll keep an eye on it.

do you have anything setup under your scheduler? that could change it if you forgot to disable it.

nm.

you seem set now. but that should still only effect your speeds with people who are on the same network. which you really shouldn't have to worry about. unless you're on a school network?

do you have anything setup under your scheduler? that could change it if you forgot to disable it.

Nothing.

The local peer bandwidth means someone on your LAN is torrenting off of you. I am inclined to say leave that setting unchecked (so long as it's not affecting your internet browsing/usage).

The local peer bandwidth means someone on your LAN is torrenting off of you. I am inclined to say leave that setting unchecked (so long as it's not affecting your internet browsing/usage).

There is no one else connected to my LAN...

uTorrent is thinking there is someone, when there isn't. It's been mentioned multiple times on the uTorrent forums. Sounds like a long-running bug to me.

There is no one else connected to my LAN...

uTorrent is thinking there is someone, when there isn't. It's been mentioned multiple times on the uTorrent forums. Sounds like a long-running bug to me.

possibly. or someone is stealing your internet. jk. the chances of them torrenting the same thing you are are insane.

I have enabled "Limit local peer bandwidth" and that appears to have solved it.

I'll keep an eye on it.

It didn't fix it.

Hmm...!

what are you using to measure your bandwidth usage?

uTorrent itself (the "Speed" tab of the "Detailed Info" pane (F5)).

what does the bottom bar of utorrent say?

The status bar is what is reporting the 75 KB/s. It is showing 75 KB/s in the graph, too.

what build are you using 3.1.x, 3.2.x ? Edit: Nevermind - just caught your, "(3.1.3)" latest would be 27120, have you tried going to the 3.2 line.. I am running it without issue.

I will take a look at mine next time I am downloading something - but in the past I recall it was pretty always right on the button for the limit. Do you actually have uTP enabled in the bittorrent section?

Have you made any changes in the advanced section, there is something about apply bandwidth limits to tcp only? Did you set that to true? So what is your max upload pipe -- is it 75KB?

what build are you using 3.1.x, 3.2.x ? Edit: Nevermind - just caught your, "(3.1.3)" latest would be 27120, have you tried going to the 3.2 line.. I am running it without issue.

I will take a look at mine next time I am downloading something - but in the past I recall it was pretty always right on the button for the limit. Do you actually have uTP enabled in the bittorrent section?

Have you made any changes in the advanced section, there is something about apply bandwidth limits to tcp only? Did you set that to true? So what is your max upload pipe -- is it 75KB?

I am running the latest build - 3.1.3 (build 27120).

All the "Basic BitTorrent Features" are enabled in the BitTorrent tab. "Outgoing Protocol Encryption" is set to Forced and "Allow incoming legacy connections" is disabled.

I have not made any changes in the Advanced section.

My pipe's max. upload is around 110 KB/s.