Cannot forward/seek video files with VLC

Hi

Have been facing this issue a lot lately. Thought of creating a thread for this. When i download some video files (.flv, .mkv mostly) and try to forward the seek bar, the whole video shuts down. Is There a way this can be fixed. Any idea what this can be caused due to.? This happens even if i redownload them. This is not specific to any particular site or any downloading source.

Thanks

Mark

I think this is a software issue more than a networking issue, unless you're trying to view a video stream online.

What operating system are you using? Is VLC up to date? How long have you had the issue for?

Where are you storing the files when you download them, on the local drive - or networked drive, usb drive?

Hmm odd issue. What version of VLC are you using?

I would uninstall it and delete the preferences also, then reboot and install the latest version (v2.0.1) from here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I would also update your video card drivers while you're at it!

Seeking in videos is a LOT slower when accessing the file over a LAN rather than a local machine - especially HD (720p or 1080p) videos.

I think this is a software issue more than a networking issue, unless you're trying to view a video stream online.

What operating system are you using? Is VLC up to date? How long have you had the issue for?

I am not streaming online. Using VLC 1.1.11, been more than 6 months.tried to ignore this thinking it was file specific issues or just bad /corrupted download

Where are you storing the files when you download them, on the local drive - or networked drive, usb drive?

Storing file in C:\

Hmm odd issue. What version of VLC are you using?

I would uninstall it and delete the preferences also, then reboot and install the latest version (v2.0.1) from here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I would also update your video card drivers while you're at it!

Seeking in videos is a LOT slower when accessing the file over a LAN rather than a local machine - especially HD (720p or 1080p) videos.

Would give it a shot, updating the vlc..but drivers for intel are released from Hp (using HP Probook 4530s), the updated ones on intel website dont work. i try to update windows frequently...so i will only receive driver update when Hp decides to release it for its probook.

You're using the old version of VLC so update it to the latest one (link is in my first post).

VLC updates have nothing to do manufacturer specific graphic driver updates, I was merely adding the graphic driver update as another precaution.

There have been a lot of bug fixes and enhancements made in the newest VLC update (as well as a UI refresh) so this would be your best bet; see here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/2.0.1.html

Hi

Installed the updated VLC and rebooted machine.. But i get this error as soon as i fire up an .mkv file.

Check screenshots:

post-431588-0-93635600-1335799232_thumb. post-431588-0-73714100-1335799320_thumb.

please add VLC to the DEP exceptions list to see if it would work. Then report here, and tell us your findings....

please add VLC to the DEP exceptions list to see if it would work. Then report here, and tell us your findings....

Basically here is my problem : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/microsoft-visual-c-run-time-library-error-while/57db2928-cad9-4ef2-a687-362f98bd05f2

Check this error when i try to add VLC to DEP:

post-431588-0-01580100-1335848310_thumb.

Have you checked all your runtimes??

I dont get the runtime thing...its slightly differnt. As i move the seek bar the video retunrs to start position. n then the error pops up "VLC has stopped working"

I dont get the runtime thing...its slightly differnt. As i move the seek bar the video retunrs to start position. n then the error pops up "VLC has stopped working"

Please check the runtimes thought photoshop does the same thing with me sometimes, however it, at least, lets me disable DEP for it and it fixed just about all the crashes I did have... ;-)

guys but the issue is still there for .FLV and .MKV formats :(

You can try reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ runtimes and redistributables (2005 and 2008, depending on what you have installed)? Or I believe there is an option to repair them also.

Or you could try installing the K-Lite Codec Pack 'Full' from here (may be a simpler solution):

http://www.codecguid...download_kl.htm

This will extend the functionality of Windows Media Player to include support for MKV and FLV file formats etc...

"Contains everything you need to play all popular audio and video file formats.

Supports playback of AVI, MKV, MP4, FLV, MPEG, MOV, TS, M2TS, RMVB, OGM, WMV, 3GP, WEBM, FLAC, Wavpack, and many more formats!"

I used to use this (worked well) but found VLC Player 'cleaner'...

You can try reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ runtimes and redistributables (2005 and 2008, depending on what you have installed)? Or I believe there is an option to repair them also.

Yeah try re-installing C++ redist as that's whats kicking up errors.

Installed Microsoft Visual C++ runtimes and redistributables 2010 x64. (from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=14632)

Still same with .flv and .mkv

OK try the K-Lite Codec Pack Full option that I posted above then.

You may have to actually remove or repair any other MS C++ Runtimes that were already installed on your system, i.e. not the 2010 version that you just installed...

stay away from k-lite... it damages your codecs and is very destructive... I suggest CCCP instead. I had terrible luck with k-lite. I had to reformat my sister's computer becuase my lil bro installed k-lite on it and her video playback was really bad and some files that were playing before didn't... tons of trouble... tried to get around not formatting, couldn't no matter what I did. CCCP works like a charm. Also please note that K-Lite will degrade the performance of certain games as well that use DXVA filters and stuff like the Fallout and Elder scrolls games (oblivion and skyrim) had a lot of issues with crashing and using the k-lite codec pack.

will try with CCCP first. lets see how it goes...fingers crossed :)

Yeah I was just suggesting it as kind of a last resort as I don't like to use it either, although it has never caused me any issues.

VLC is great though!

will try with CCCP first. lets see how it goes...fingers crossed :)

all the best... ;-)