Imac G4

I actually liked the icons and the UI from that era.

Nothing wrong with that - it still looks pretty darned good, and I still love it. But for me, the G3 is still the most beautiful computer ever made ;)

It's an alternative OS for it, based on Linux.

Linux (and the *BSD releases) provide pretty good support for the old macs, but you're still limited by the hardware in any case. I have an old beige G3 I want to put NetBSD on, I can't do much with it though afterwards.

Whats the max ram the imac can support?? Is it 1.5 gb?

Any one have any suggestions on software that i could install on my imac when i get it?

Like, boot two operating systems and have them fight to see which one loads? No.

You sir, have made my day! Absolutely hilarious! :)

... good luck with the new Mac, btw.

Well what about partitioning and install like 10.1 and 10.2 on the same hard drive?

Well what about partitioning and install like 10.1 and 10.2 on the same hard drive?

That's perfectly possible. Startup your Mac from the OS X Install CD/DVD (press and hold C after your hear the startup sound) and partition your drive using Disk Utility. You can switch between OS X installations by holding down option or go to System Preferences > Startup Disk.

I have two PPC Macs (G3 iMac running 10.2 and G4 eMac running 10.5) that I've both gotten in the past year for pretty cheap, and I hardly use them at all. They both sit in a corner of my room and I only power them on when I want a bit of a nostalgia trip. They're not connected to the internet at the moment, but when they were, the most I used them for was just slowly browsing to a few web pages and then shutting them down. I'd agree with the consensus, if you want a Mac to play around with, get an Intel-based one.

Remember, you can only run either OSX 10.4 or 10.5 (and Mac OS 9.2.2 if you've got a very early one).

You can't run 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 like you're planning to. You'd need a G3 for that.

Which is the exact model you've bought out of interest?

Remember, you can only run either OSX 10.4 or 10.5 (and Mac OS 9.2.2 if you've got a very early one).

You can't run 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 like you're planning to. You'd need a G3 for that.

Which is the exact model you've bought out of interest?

The 800Mhz came pre-installed with 9.2.2 and 10.1.2 so anything higher is supported (up to 10.4.11). I started with 10.2.1 but OS X really only felt usable with 10.3.

As for software, it may have iLife installed. That'll give you iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and Garageband. The latter will be a bit slow on a G4 if you try to use the software instruments, though. An old version of Reason would probably run much better (which reminds me, Rebirth is a free download from Propellerheads but only runs on OS9). Adobe CS or CS2 would run well too. Dreamweaver for web editing. Older MS Office. It won't set the world on fire, but it's not totally useless. And OS9 will scream on a G4.

The 800Mhz came pre-installed with 9.2.2 and 10.1.2 so anything higher is supported (up to 10.4.11). I started with 10.2.1 but OS X really only felt usable with 10.3.

Wow! I thought they were a lot more up-to-date than they actually are - my apologies!

First things first:

I will buy a G4 iMac myself sometime sooner or later, but not for productivity use.

I just adore its design and the joy of old hardware.

Apart from that, I cannot stress enough how much you want a C2D Mac instead if you don't want to spend too much.

Apparently you aren't worried about being able to upgrade the OS much further, so I assume that would make a good first Mac for you.

Model? Hmmm, I'd go with an iMac with Radeon X1600.

Those babies got mass defective (the GPU that is) and if you don't get a defective model (which you could return if the seller lied to you saying it's working ok), you might even get a repaired model.

Hence the logicboard and all of its components would be newer than most other used Macs that are similarly old and cheap.

edit: too late haha :laugh:

Glassed Silver:mac

IT really doesnt bother me about the os. Yes he said it worked fine in the ad. If it doesent work i mite try to repaire it mysellf. You guys have to remeber i am only 18, so i still have a lot to learn. I like problem solving. :woot: :laugh:

He also left Feedback on my ebay saying "A+ Thanks alot and thanks for all the fish" so i dont know what he means

Is that what he really means???? I looked it up and its a book...... If i get the box and there a book in it i am going to so mad..

Is that what he really means????

Most likely - he's quoting the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. That photo is actually pretty accurate! :laugh:

If i get the box and there a book or a dolphin in it am going to be so mad..

Lol i Hope so. So how good do you guys think this computer would be for say playing starcraft1 and Otto Matic. and what about a torrent slave?? (With a external drive)