Upgrade iPhone tomorrow?

Hey everyone,

Right, I know this is a speculative thread and I've read the majority of websites out there debating about the iPhone 5 (4GS or whatever)?

I'm due for an upgrade tomorrow with my carrier. I'm currently using a 3G (yup, old school). As some might remember, my 3G went for a swim about a year and a half ago... it's been working fine (relatively) up until recently (last month) whereby I basically can't get signal... the SIM is rarely detected as being in the phone, and this causes texts to be delayed or phone calls to go straight to voicemail etc...

So, I'm wondering, would you upgrade to the 4S? Or wait?

I can theoretically wait until August (when the contract actually runs out)? after then I'd have to figure something out if the new iPhone wasn't going to be until October... not to mention I'm not sure my phone will last...

Medking

If you're having major problems with basic phone functions (i.e. calling and texting) then I'd definitely consider getting it repaired or buying a new device. It might be worth taking the iPhone down to an Apple Store to see if they can fix the problems. If that's not possible or they charge too high a price for the repair, then I'd just get the 4S (or whatever else) sooner rather than later.

It's likely that Apple will be sticking to an October release for new iPhones (doubt it'll be called 4GS, probably just "the new iPhone"), which is probably too long to hold off for if you're having the issues you've described. I'd say the jump from the iPhone 3G to 4S is pretty big anyway, plus you'll (most likely) receive the next iOS revision. If you feel ashamed of your 4S when the next iPhone does come out, you'll be able to sell it for a decent price (especially since you'll have a longer warranty to offer than others doing the same).

Thanks Manish - appreciate the response!

Yes unfortunately I did look at getting it repaired but because of the water damage to it Apple basically won't do anything with it... meaning I'd have to take it to a third party which tbh I'm not too bothered by.

Good suggestion though of selling it on. Not sure if I'm correct in saying this but I think O2 unlock for free... (at least they did back in the day) meaning I could probably get a fairly decent amount for it...

I just had to do this myself, I was holding out for the 5, but my 3G was unreliable as a phone (you know, it's main purpose), so I picked up a 4S. I'm happy with it, it's much faster, and I plan on selling the 3G for parts on Ebay to defray some of the cost.

Good suggestion though of selling it on. Not sure if I'm correct in saying this but I think O2 unlock for free... (at least they did back in the day) meaning I could probably get a fairly decent amount for it...

No problem. And yes, O2 do still unlock iPhones for free at any time for Pay Monthly customers (you just need to fill out a form online).

I'd wait until iPhone 5 comes out...

But from what I've read that looks like it will be in October (reveal)? so that could mean released to the markets in November...

If it were June I could wait... but from what I've read that doesn't look like it will be the case?

Yes unfortunately I did look at getting it repaired but because of the water damage to it Apple basically won't do anything with it... meaning I'd have to take it to a third party which tbh I'm not too bothered by.

apple will do an out of warranty replacement for ?120

Wait until June 11th ? that's the date of Apple's WWDC Keynote, and if they don't announce it then (including availability) they'll most likely announce it in September.

Wait until June 11th ? that's the date of Apple's WWDC Keynote, and if they don't announce it then (including availability) they'll most likely announce it in September.

Thanks for the advice. Think I'm leaning on waiting atm. Shall see how I feel when I get up haha.

Another general question for everyone: what contract option would you go for? (i.e. would you preference data//texts etc, and what amounts?)

Also, what would you recommend going for (price-wise) for a contract?

Because doing some basic math it looks like going for the 32GB with only 500MB of data, 100 minutes, and currently unlimited texts as a free extra is the cheapest. (21.50 a month plus cost of phone)?

But then I don't know if 500MB is enough for the 4S? Many seem to indicate that going for a gig is safer. (100 minutes would be more than enough, I barely use minutes at all)

Any recommendations in that area would be appreciated... do you think it's worth paying more up front for a marginally cheaper contract?

I would say you better wait for iPhone 5 :) You don't want to regret for another 2 years, right? Better patiently wait for a few months with a "crappy" phone heh heh as the next iPhone is meant to be revolutionary

I'm on a 250 MB and it's enough for me :) I don't watch YouTube on my data and I can wait for Wi-Fi connection to update my apps

Possible to buy a cheap inbetween phone?

I really agree with iKenndac. Wait until after the next big Apple event if at all possible. If they don't say squat about it, probably not until Octoberish. I suspect it will have LTE (in the US anyway).

I have a 200MB plan. Overall I wanted to go cheap. I probably watch 2-3 YouTube videos a month over 3G. Meh, WiFi is so available the only time I need to bump it up is when I'm using Google Maps to get around a lot and streaming audio. When I go out of town I tend to use a lot more data.