Windows 7 says not Genuine

We built 4 workstations by hand for our developers. we purchased Windows 7 professional 64-bit OEM for all the systems, this past week 2 of them started saying they were not Genuine. Well, they are, each has its owne unique CD-key used for the install and they were activated just fine until now.

The copies where purchased through Newegg, so it was from someone who is reputable at least.

First attempt to fix, do the automated activation number, it comes back on both Install ID's and says it can?t activate.

Call Activation support, they say they cant do anything, they say to call Microsoft Genuine advantage, call them they say they are illegal copies, we explain to them they are purchased from Newegg, they are not illegal, and we have the receipts to prove it, they say basically tough and to try calling the activation support team "maybe" they can reactivate it, well that?s how we got to you!

Newegg is saying they don't sell pirated products, call Microsoft Genuine support..... *rips out hair*

how the #$%& do I get help with this, we have proof we bought it, we have unique keys, the OEM software was only ever installed once per machine, never moved, MS is basically saying screw you to us......

Could not read the text until It was highlighted, I would try and get in touch with newegg corporate. Call up the usual channels and before the person on the other line says a work say "I would like to speak with your manager" Have all copies of recipts handy and order numbers" .

Don't take "my manager/supervisor is busy at the moment" crap either someone is always available to answer the call.

Yeah, you're basically screwed. That is what can happen when you buy OEM software instead of retail, since Microsoft can blame the seller, and the seller can blame Microsoft in a never ending cycle. With an OEM license, Microsoft will generally tell you to contact the computer manufacturer for support (oh wait, that's you in this case). Oops.

Could not read the text until It was highlighted, I would try and get in touch with newegg corporate. Call up the usual channels and before the person on the other line says a work say "I would like to speak with your manager" Have all copies of recipts handy and order numbers" .

Don't take "my manager/supervisor is busy at the moment" crap either someone is always available to answer the call.

my text color was never changed, so no idea why you can't see it, maybe someone is messing with the CSS for this site agian?

we tried the talk to your supervisor line with MS and got the run around and never got above the phone person, which was obvioulsy outsourced call center people.... one person went as far as saying "I'm as far up as you can go"

Yeah, you're basically screwed. That is what can happen when you buy OEM software instead of retail, since Microsoft can blame the seller, and the seller can blame Microsoft in a never ending cycle. With an OEM license, Microsoft will generally tell you to contact the computer manufacturer for support (oh wait, that's you in this case). Oops.

that whole thing is BS though, because newegg was the seller... someone had to of invalidated our keys for some reason, its weird that two went out at the same time... it was perfect for almost 2 years now with no problems then a about a week ago, not Genuine anymore... someone did something, somewhere, a patch or something... which I'd blame on MS...

I had this same problem with the free version I got from MS after the beta... a year after the beta, my key was listed as invalidated at MS and it was telling me it was not genuine, called them they told me tough basically... and its the full retail version :angry: had to buy another copy even though this one was a gift from MICROSOFT of all people...

Newegg is usually really good about resolving problems, hate to see them not being more helpful but it sounds like Microsoft is the one who screwed up here. Just another example though of the pirates sitting back with no problems at all while the honest customers keep getting screwed with DRM and anti-piracy crap.

• Like 2

We built 4 workstations by hand for our developers. we purchased Windows 7 professional 64-bit OEM for all the systems, this past week 2 of them started saying they were not Genuine. Well, they are, each has its owne unique CD-key used for the install and they were activated just fine until now.

The copies where purchased through Newegg, so it was from someone who is reputable at least.

First attempt to fix, do the automated activation number, it comes back on both Install ID's and says it can?t activate.

Call Activation support, they say they cant do anything, they say to call Microsoft Genuine advantage, call them they say they are illegal copies, we explain to them they are purchased from Newegg, they are not illegal, and we have the receipts to prove it, they say basically tough and to try calling the activation support team "maybe" they can reactivate it, well that?s how we got to you!

Newegg is saying they don't sell pirated products, call Microsoft Genuine support..... *rips out hair*

how the #$%& do I get help with this, we have proof we bought it, we have unique keys, the OEM software was only ever installed once per machine, never moved, MS is basically saying screw you to us......

If you can get a written quote from Microsoft stating that the keys are not valid, you can hand that to newegg and ask them to replace the software with valid versions. They shouldn't argue the fact that Microsoft are then giving you written proof that they've mis-sold the license. If they argue the fact, tell them you want a written statement from them and that you'll be contacting your legal team with regards to the matter.

You'll then have two documents. One from the owners of the software and licenses, and the reseller as well as your proof of purchase.

Not sure of your laws with regards to sales of items, but here in the uk, anything that is sold has to be fit for its purpose. Microsoft is telling you via activation that the key isn't fit for its purpose (ie for use on the computer). It'd be newegg who'd you've need to contact and have them fix the issue. With the said letter from Microsoft, you'd be able to argue that they (newegg) need to sort it out, legally if need be.

Activate the product by phone. It's a call number you read off to the machine and then it gives you a new key.

I did this 2 days ago when I replaced my motherboard. I'm running 7 Ultimate.

Activate the product by phone. It's a call number you read off to the machine and then it gives you a new key.

I did this 2 days ago when I replaced my motherboard. I'm running 7 Ultimate.

Thats only if the hardware hash changes on the activation.

OP already stated that he's tried the activation number and that they've told him the keys are illegal.

He's never going to be able to use them keys again, they've been blacklisted by Microsoft.

Happened to me at home... I know for a fact I received the disc from Newegg, installed once with that key, then hid it in my desk drawer. No one else could have possibly gotten the key from the disc or the computer. (No malware or spyware... behind a pretty secure firewall) About a week ago it said it failed Windows Genuine Validation. After hours on the phone, I just decided to install an activator and be done with it. I have to pirate my own legit copy.

just because you hide the key does not mean it was not used by a pirate. The pirates know the algorithm and can create as many "legit" keys as they want. eventually they are going to use one that has been used before.

I would just try forcing the activation again either by phone or just by running the activation script again.

Edit: Sounds like your key got pirated. Maybe work it out with MS and tell them to disable all the other computers? Somehow proved your purchase to them. Never ran into this before...

I don't have experience with Windows key purchased from Neweggs, but I have plenty of experience with calling MS activation center and successfully activated many computers, they never refused me once.

1. I have activated multiple computers using 1 key: replaced the motherboard; old computer died, re-used the key with new desktop computer.

2. Reinstalled the OS on laptop multiple times and activated with the key that comes with the laptop.

In all of these cases the auto-activation fail. I called the number they list when chose "Activate by phone". Key in the code display on the computer and they usually just give me the activation code (the code they give me over the phone never fail). In some cases instead of giving me the activation code it transfers me to a live person. That person just asked how I got the key and how many times I've used it. I explained the situation (my cases have always been either bought the key, got from school, or it comes with the computer), sometime I said I've used the code many times already but always with computers I own and the guy always gave me the activation code. I've successfully activated about 20 computers to date, haven't fail once.

Maybe try talking nice to them? You purchased from Newegg so I certain would call Newegg if Microsoft refused to give you activation code, who know maybe Newegg did sell you illegal key. In fact I think you can accuse Newegg of selling you illegal key since they were the one that took your money and gave you the key, not Microsoft. Force Newegg to issue you new key? If Newegg said NO, tell them you purchased it from them not Microsoft so they're responsible for it (I don't give a **** if they're selling illegal or not, they take your money so when there are problem they have to solve it), if they want to call Microsoft let them do it, but you don't have time, you want a working product that was guarantee to you when you purchased from Newegg.

Be tough on them or they'll run you over. If they take your money make them earn it. Good luck, but be tough!!! Don't back down from retailer.

to Quote MS from the last attempt to fix this: "This Key has been locked out, there is nothing we can do about it" they said that about both keys

finally got someone at newegg to care... have to prove to them it's legit now by scanning the COA and giving them their invoice number.. then they will look into it

It's very likely that someone working in a distribution centre at newegg pilfered the key, made a copy and started passing it around. That happens a lot.

It's possible somewhere down the supply chain line, someone got sold counterfeit copies of the COA's.

and if that is the problem, like always the regular users are the ones that get screwed..... everything we got looked legit, the COA matches exactly how they should from MS, same ribbon through them, same tear / wear spots, everything is correct...

appears MS is on an OEM lockout roll... another of our OEM systems went "not geniune" today.... seriously and that was an HP system not a custom built one

to make this even more fun! Microsoft's software auditors sent us a notice of audit today on all our server products... ugh and every freaking one of them is legit! 35 servers all running windows server 2003 and higher and they want us to give them a list of what we have so they can audit us... this seems like revenge for complaining to them about locking us out

I love the fact MS knows every piece of software we bought, even if it wasn't directly from a MS vendor..... :s the list of "known" licenses they sent us is kinda scarry considering some of it we bought off the shelf at places like staples when we needed something fast..... everything else was through eOpen or some other licensing scheme... but sheesh

This is the problem with genuine nonsense is that sooner or later, your gonna have an issue that won't be solved, because the stupid company wants you to pay for a product which you clearly and legally got. it's like paying 2x for the same thing and to me that is not right. Newegg indeed sells legit stuff as i get stuff from them often but mistakes can happen. To the OP: If nothing works then try forcing the issue and perhaps it could be solved.