Stephen Hendry retires after World Snooker Championship defeat

Stephen Hendry retires after World Snooker Championship defeat

Seven-time world champion Stephen Hendry has announced his retirement from snooker after a heavy 13-2 defeat by Stephen Maguire at the Crucible.

"I am officially retired now from tournament snooker," he said. "I made the decision about three months ago."

The 43-year-old handed defending champion John Higgins his worst World Championship defeat in the last 16.

But Hendry looked out of sorts against Maguire in a one-sided World Championship quarter-final.

Source: BBC Sport

That's too bad. Hendry was/is a legendary player. I hope he continues commentating for the BBC. He seems like a friendly and smart fellow, and I enjoy listening to his commentary.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :(

I had ?10 (Odds were 9-1 so it was too tempting to not) on him to win this year. After the way he played against Higgins and previous frames I thought he would win this year. He was playing great, I'm saddened he lost. With that said he's the greatest player in the history of the game and doesn't need to prove himself again by winning another world title. What an amazing career the man has had.

Neil Robertson is favourite to win but I'm seriously hoping that Ronnie O'Sullivan pulls through.