More bad news for Windows 8...

India has discounted license costs already.

Add to that the 3rd highest piracy rate in the world for Windows products and your extremely low currency exchange rate..

It's not Microsoft being unreasonable. Sure they are out to make money, but the pricing scale is reasonable (hell of a lot cheaper than it is in Australia btw).

• Like 1

hi +articuno1au,ask somebody in india if windows is MILES below inflationary costs, your telling me that windows 7 is cheaper than vista, not where i live lets face it microsoft is a business and its out to make money and i think that another poster here ( JOHHNY )has hit the nail on the head, i will end my post and thank you for your points of view.

no, 7 costs the same as Vista, but I'm not sure you understand inflation, as 7 should be more expensive.

• Like 1

hi ryoken, i am a retired IT developer just to get that out of the way, microsoft can only get figures if people are on the internet, what about the countless people who never use the net, my point is that nobody can put precise figures on what the population is doing on their computers and as for business not wanting to adopt LINUX, you obviously have not heard that the american DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE ( BIG BUSINESS ) has awarded 28 million dollars to the LINUX comunity for a program to run their unmanned drones because the program they were using ( WINDOWS ) was unacceptable, i digress, the point of this forum is that microsoft has removed a feature from windows and in some cases forcing users to pay for third party applications depending whers they live and as johnny pointed out microsoft will make huge savings without passing them on to us.

I don't think anyone ever said that their numbers were exact.. I know I didn't.. they are Estimates, based on the information they have.. But you'd have to assume most of them are using MCE to make it a significant number.. And lets face it, they aren't.. Most people have most computers connected to the net.. And most of the computers that aren't are doing far more basic things than being a DVR for people..

28 Million.. Impressive.. How much do they pay MS yearly ? I'll bet you it's more..

Additionally that money is not for a universal desktop OS.. It's for a very specific tool. Windows is not a Drone Control Platform, it's a multi-purpose desktop OS.. It can do most things well, a few things really well, but not much amazingly.. And it's much easier to write a flavor of Linux to be a Specific, single-roll tool, than it is to make Windows be that..

Anyway.. I don't care about MCE one way or the other.. I don't use it.. It sucks for the people that do.. But don't try and tell us it's a silent majority out there that use it, it's not the case.. you are a very very very small minority that was, until now, being invested in, now you're not.. C'est la vie.

• Like 1

Anyway.. I don't care about MCE one way or the other.. I don't use it.. It sucks for the people that do.. But don't try and tell us it's a silent majority out there that use it, it's not the case.. you are a very very very small minority that was, until now, being invested in, now you're not.. C'est la vie.

Plus, cable companies in the US are making it impossible to use a TV Tuner card in your computer, making Media Center useless as a DVR. I personally wanted to use it as one, but that issue (you had to buy a super expensive special card instead of a normal one) and the fact that it's an entire computer that would require updates and reboots (something my parents would be too dumb to use) made us avoid buying a computer as a HTPC.

Everyone (basically everyone) simply uses the DVR provided by the cable/satellite company. Nobody (yep, basically nobody statistically) uses Media Center as a DVR.

Plus, cable companies in the US are making it impossible to use a TV Tuner card in your computer, making Media Center useless as a DVR. I personally wanted to use it as one, but that issue (you had to buy a super expensive special card instead of a normal one) and the fact that it's an entire computer that would require updates and reboots (something my parents would be too dumb to use) made us avoid buying a computer as a HTPC.

Everyone (basically everyone) simply uses the DVR provided by the cable/satellite company. Nobody (yep, basically nobody statistically) uses Media Center as a DVR.

CI/CI+ CAM cards are super expensive ? they're far less expensive than the DVB-T/C/S hardware you need. the bigger problem is a lack of good DVB tuner cards, especially the complete lack of any dual tuner ones.

I don't use Media Center as a DVR, but due to the fact that I own an IR receiver and remote it's still my primary playback software. The fact that Microsoft are going out of their way to neuter it's functionality is another thing to put me off using Windows 8.

I don't use Media Center as a DVR, but due to the fact that I own an IR receiver and remote it's still my primary playback software. The fact that Microsoft are going out of their way to neuter it's functionality is another thing to put me off using Windows 8.

You can use the remote with many other media and htpc/mediacenter software.