UK: Political Correctness gone mad! I am actually emb. to say i live in

We've already been banned in the British Air Force from calling the Master & slave card configuration in various pieces of kit it's name. We have to call it "Primary & Secondary"

Since my secondary life plan if my career in IT fell through was to join the RAF, I'm kind of glad that a career in IT is looking likely.

They can stay offended as much as they like. Bending over to every whim by some self-appointed minority that gets offended will turn the world into one big boring place.

Also, if someone comes here and gets offended by things we like, they can go back - the door is that way.

Who do you think needs to go back and where should they be going? Your backward assumptions are boringly predictable as is your thoughtless, lazy intolerance. There's nothing boring about accommodating people and making them feel secure within society. It's what normal, well-adjusted people do.

Using your logic:

I am offended by the word "that". It sounds like a similar word which has a W in it. Therefore we should stop using "that".

I am offended by the word "internet". The word doesn't accurately describe the product, therefore we shouldn't use it.

You're just making yourself look stupid.

Who do you think needs to go back and where should they be going?

There's the Romanians.. the Africans.. The Arabs.. Hell, there's a proverbial mess of human filth that I wouldn't mind seeing get booted out of here and fast.

My cat contributes more to the society as a whole than most of these people.

Your backward assumptions are boringly predictable as is your thoughtless, lazy intolerance. There's nothing boring about accommodating people and making them feel secure within society. It's what normal, well-adjusted people do.

And you sound like your average off the street green party leftist hippie who spout their propaganda that they read from a pamphlet.

Accommodating people should never come at the cost of the majority. When you have to change the language or customs you've had for centuries to "accommodate" an insignificant minority, you're doing it wrong.

Feel free to be offended by the words I use, I don't give a fsck.

If your stupid enuff to be offended by this and or further its caause by adopting it in anyway then all your doing is promoting racism. dont look for it when its clearly not there, you just **** the rest of us off with your searching.

There's the Romanians.. the Africans.. The Arabs.. Hell, there's a proverbial mess of human filth that I wouldn't mind seeing get booted out of here and fast.

My cat contributes more to the society as a whole than most of these people.

And you sound like your average off the street green party leftist hippie who spout their propaganda that they read from a pamphlet.

Accommodating people should never come at the cost of the majority. When you have to change the language or customs you've had for centuries to "accommodate" an insignificant minority, you're doing it wrong.

You don't have to accommodate. It's not the fault of the minorities. It's the fault of your legislators. Blame the people you helped put in charge before you blame others! All I can say is I'm glad you're not here so er don't have to get rid of you!

Don't worry, I'm not offended by you, I just think you're sad and pathetic. All you seem to be capable of is hate.

You should really double-check articles before posting them and going on a rant. That includes sources, BTW. The Daily Mail/Fail/Heil (take your pick) is not a credible source for anything; it's an extremely racist, right-wing load of bulls**t that thinks literally everything in the world gives you cancer. It's essentially the British equivalent of Fox News.

And that talk about not being able to sing "Bah Bah Black Sheep" anymore is BS too; I lead a music class for Foundation (4-5 years old) children every Friday, and we sang that song last week.

If u think the "Bah Bah Black Sheep" is BS, ill give u the number of the local school, or the local education authority if you want, as your in the UK, you ring them and ask if you think its BS....

If u think the "Bah Bah Black Sheep" is BS, ill give u the number of the local school, or the local education authority if you want, as your in the UK, you ring them and ask if you think its BS....

So now you have to resort to this after the original story from 2009 was shown to be false. Are you just looking for something to complain about?

Yes, please give us that information. At least we can put this rubbish to bed. This story has been done in the 1980s, and the 1990s too.

How many times is it going to be rehashed?

Seriously, what is wrong with this country. Erghh! When are they going to change the name of the colour 'black'.

So now you have to resort to this after the original story from 2009 was shown to be false. Are you just looking for something to complain about?

Yes, please give us that information. At least we can put this rubbish to bed. This story has been done in the 1980s, and the 1990s too.

How many times is it going to be rehashed?

I am not resorting to anything - I am simply using this one as i have actual proof of this one! Schools around here have been told to use "Rainbow Sheep" or "White Sheep" - I will send you the number in a PM...

Edit: 2 seconds of googling found this:

source: http://www.mailwatch...ss-not-correct/

I mean come on. This is stoking up anger for absolutely no reason gone made. WHAT AN ABSOLUTE JOKE

The word "ban" is wrong, but it still appears that they moved from "blacklist" to "blocklist" for racial sensitivity concerns (so says Scotland Yard security services chief Brian Douglas), and your link doesn't say anything to disprove that.

Its nothing to get angry about if true, it would just be silly.

Btw, I want people to ban the term "whitewash".

PC is just stupid, the words exist in our language as an easy way to communicate certain things, they aren't meant to offend anyone, and anyone who takes offence to something which is a mere descriptor has bigger issues than the words in use.

The word "ban" is wrong, but it still appears that they moved from "blacklist" to "blocklist" for racial sensitivity concerns (so says Scotland Yard security services chief Brian Douglas), and your link doesn't say anything to disprove that.

Its nothing to get angry about if true, it would just be silly.

Btw, I want people to ban the term "whitewash".

No one wanted to change anything for racial sensitivity reasons. If you read the whole story you'll see that an IT professional just mentioned that in his opinion a blocklist would be a more technically correct term. Now I'm not one to judge if he's right or wrong because I don't know. But it had nothing to do with race just someone being pedantic and trying to look clever!

Far from being some meaningless new PC term, ?blocklisting? is actually a word commonly used in the IT industry referring to a list of blocked IP addresses or users. Apparently, the IT department at Citizen?s Advice issued a memo in July regarding spam emails, explaining that a number of them had been blacklisted. In reply, an employee pointed out that ?blocklisted? was probably a more appropriate word, and everybody forgot about the whole thing because it was really quite boring.

Same source as before

I am not resorting to anything - I am simply using this one as i have actual proof of this one! Schools around here have been told to use "Rainbow Sheep" or "White Sheep" - I will send you the number in a PM...

Got your PM. Will follow up on this. If I'm wrong I'll put my hands up. Just some info first please so I don't look like an idiot when I contact them. Who were the schools told this by?

No one wanted to change anything for racial sensitivity reasons. If you read the whole story you'll see that an IT professional just mentioned that in his opinion a blocklist would be a more technically correct term. Now I'm not one to judge if he's right or wrong because I don't know. But it had nothing to do with race just someone being pedantic and trying to look clever!

What I saw in the articles I read was that they did suggest blocklist was an appropriate word that was commonly used in IT, but that it was also more appropriate because of sensitivity reasons

For example,

The ban emerged in an e-mail to Yard IT staff from security services chief Brian Douglas. He wrote: "IB [information Board] are uncomfortable with the use of the term whitelist [and I presume blacklist]. I am sure we can appreciate the sensitivity around the use of such terminology today so please ensure it is no longer used."

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/uk/the-met-blacklists-blacklist-1.1020253 (also quoted at telegraph)

Sensitivity about what? What is he referring to?

And about the appropriateness --

He said: "This is not a change in policy. It is a change in internal ICT terminology which reflects a more appropriate use of language in a professional, policing environment."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/9250580/Police-IT-department-bans-word-blacklist-in-case-it-is-deemed-racist.html

What does the technical accuracy of the term have to do with a policing environment?

What I saw in the articles I read was that they did suggest blocklist was an appropriate word that was commonly used in IT, but that it was also more appropriate because of sensitivity reasons

For example,

http://gulfnews.com/...klist-1.1020253 (also quoted at telegraph)

Sensitivity about what? What is he referring to?

And about the appropriateness --

[/font][/color]

http://www.telegraph...med-racist.html

What does the technical accuracy of the term have to do with a policing environment?

Those stories have nothing to do with original story the OP put up. The issue with the police is different. They are still feeling the effects from the Macpherson report on institutional racism. That is an issue for them to sort out in their time. If you knew the history of the police esp Scotland yard in London pre Macpherson report and what the report put into the public then you would realise why they may be treading lightly. Either way I agree with you that the sensitivity issue is a non issue and people should continue to use the language they have as it hasn't really caused offence.

My main points are these:

1) The original story reported about the CAB - a charity (not a public body) that is free to do whatever it wants policy wise so long as it is legal. So no story there that wise or even about the whole sensitivity thing.

2) Minorities of which I am one don't really want this anyway. It's a non issue for us, so don't blame us. My main issue with the postings here is that we feel singled out when something is being done in our name by so called 'indigenous' people thinking they are doing the right thing. Throw your scorn at them.

3) As I said your stories about the police have a bit of context and you should look into that, and they have their own issues to sort out.

Got your PM. Will follow up on this. If I'm wrong I'll put my hands up. Just some info first please so I don't look like an idiot when I contact them. Who were the schools told this by?

Sorry i don't mean to be arsey - i was having a bad week!!! - NHS cutbacks causing more trouble in my job!!

From what i was told at parents evening - they have been told by the L.E.A, its one of a few things they were asked to do, however i cant remember off the top of my head the rest (they wernt in use in my kids class, it was higher years that it was for..)

The teachers themselves don't agree with it, but, they said they have to follow it as they were told by their employer, so i know its not their fault... (I would send names, but i don't want to get any teacher into trouble as they are really good teachers and my kid loves them!)