Microsoft to bring full Internet Explorer browsing to Xbox 360 with Kinect

Well yeah that was a childish move but lately I haven't seen any complaints from Opera. It's just Mozilla and Google doing the moaning at MS what MS should and should not do with their software/hardware.

Cause boo others for telling them to follow agreed upon standards to make web development easier. Rather, MS would like to continue creating a sub-par browser.

Cause boo others for telling them to follow agreed upon standards to make web development easier. Rather, MS would like to continue creating a sub-par browser.

except right now it's FF and Chrome that's starting to add their own special code while IE is sticking to the standards. We're already seeing sites that only works properly or best in chrome.

They might as well ship windows 8 on the next xbox console.

I can't see Windows 8 playing well with 256MB of RAM :rofl:

I can't see Windows 8 playing well with 256MB of RAM :rofl:

I think you'd be surprised how well it would run. There is a good chance the next Xbox (which I'm still convinced is launching later this year) will be running a version of Win8 on it. In fact releasing the Xbox Next, Win8 and WP8 at the same time would be pretty big, is pretty obvious MS plans to have everything work together [more so then they do now] and would be a major marketing point to have Win8 powering all the latest offerings. Proving a truely seamless entertainment solution. I'm just thinking out aloud so maybe it doesn't make sense :p take with a grain of salt.

I think you'd be surprised how well it would run. There is a good chance the next Xbox (which I'm still convinced is launching later this year) will be running a version of Win8 on it. In fact releasing the Xbox Next, Win8 and WP8 at the same time would be pretty big, is pretty obvious MS plans to have everything work together [more so then they do now] and would be a major marketing point to have Win8 powering all the latest offerings. Proving a truely seamless entertainment solution. I'm just thinking out aloud so maybe it doesn't make sense :p take with a grain of salt.

I agree that the next Xbox could be based on Win8, deep down, just like we know WP8 will be. But having said that it won't be much more than the kernel and some select subsystems that are needed to drive the Xbox dashboard and so on. Don't expect more of the Win8 OS than is needed. I also think it'll have 4GB of RAM at least, depending on how bold they want to be.

I agree that the next Xbox could be based on Win8, deep down, just like we know WP8 will be. But having said that it won't be much more than the kernel and some select subsystems that are needed to drive the Xbox dashboard and so on. Don't expect more of the Win8 OS than is needed. I also think it'll have 4GB of RAM at least, depending on how bold they want to be.

I understand what you mean, I know it won't run the full Win8 OS. I just meant because it'll be Win8 at the core, expect seamless integration with Win8 desktops/tablets and WP8 phones.

All I want really is Amazon Instant Streaming on the Xbox 360. Please?

Don't see why that's not doable as long as Amazon wants to write an app for it, really up to them.

I understand what you mean, I know it won't run the full Win8 OS. I just meant because it'll be Win8 at the core, expect seamless integration with Win8 desktops/tablets and WP8 phones.

I expect that as well, I find it really stupid that right now the 360 and WP can't work together if you connect them via USB. I hope when everythings on the same OS core that things like Play To are supported to and from every device without the need for any 3rd party apps.

Last thing we need is just any old crappy 3rd party apps on the Xbox, we get enough of that on our phones IMO. Besides what MS does want is media specific apps not just anything. That limits it to apps from content creators or providers etc.

I'm fairly sure that the next XBOX will support WinRT and Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 apps & marketplace, with all apps synched into the cloud :)

I'm fairly sure that the next XBOX will support WinRT and Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 apps & marketplace, with all apps synched into the cloud :)

Ok, say it goes down like that, what sorta apps do you want on a media device like the Xbox though? Outside of games, and apps for watching different media services, what else? I mean the Xbox is a specific type of device that's for a specific range of things not really a PC that's a do all type of machine.

Maybe the next xbox will have a controller like the Wii U with a touchscreen :) This or mouse & kb support for example.

Also it can has all sort of apps like the XBLA games from Windows Phone / Windows, social website and so on, the list is infinite.

Ok, say it goes down like that, what sorta apps do you want on a media device like the Xbox though? Outside of games, and apps for watching different media services, what else? I mean the Xbox is a specific type of device that's for a specific range of things not really a PC that's a do all type of machine.

Being able to have apps synced with my 360 and my Win8 PC would be nice. "Pay once, play everywhere" system like Steam has with PC+Mac would be fantastic - especially if cloud support for saving is on the cards. This would be extremely easy to implement if the next Xbox OS had WinRT at its core.

Plus, apps such as Skydrive would be really nice to have on the Xbox too. While these can be made for the 360 currently, I'm almost certain having the ability to extremely quickly port their WinRT apps to the next Xbox (in a similar fashion to W8->WP8) will encourage a lot more developers to bring their apps to Xbox - which can be a great thing.

I think 4GB RAM is the minimum they will need, 4K will be just around the corner when it launches.

Being able to have apps synced with my 360 and my Win8 PC would be nice. "Pay once, play everywhere" system like Steam has with PC+Mac would be fantastic - especially if cloud support for saving is on the cards. This would be extremely easy to implement if the next Xbox OS had WinRT at its core.

Plus, apps such as Skydrive would be really nice to have on the Xbox too. While these can be made for the 360 currently, I'm almost certain having the ability to extremely quickly port their WinRT apps to the next Xbox (in a similar fashion to W8->WP8) will encourage a lot more developers to bring their apps to Xbox - which can be a great thing.

I am still hoping windows 8 is powering the xbox going forward just for access to the full app store and the buy once get both places aspect but I don't see them doing it.... as awesome as it would be.

Actually it's not just an assumption, games use the xbox api's to access internet functions and such. these are specific for gaming, browser would not only need the correct api calls that may not be possible, it would also have to be accepted by MS

you said it there... Browser need api rather than low level code so no one is stopping anyone from building browser for xbox.

"correct api calls that may not be possible" clearly shows you are assuming.

Product convergence is great and very logical. As for a browser, that is long overdue on the 360 seeing as Sony has had it since the beginning on PS3. But why will it force me to use Kinect?

I personally think they are making a mistake in tying every single product line together.

Because you haven't tried/looked at how it's been done. It's the same "metro" concept but implemented differently across each device.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still hoping windows 8 is powering the xbox going forward just for access to the full app store and the buy once get both places aspect but I don't see them doing it.... as awesome as it would be.

Nope won't happen. The new Windows Kernel (which is powering Win8 and WP8) might power the next Xbox - but considering so far Win8 and WP8 are having two seperate OSes (despite WOA being available and probably compatible with WP8 hardware), I doubt they're going to share Win8 across PCs and Xboxes, I'm presuming it'll be a Windows Kernel-based OS, however.

On top of which, I also don't see Windows 8 (the full thing) coming to Xbox for the simple reason that Microsoft itself would become an OEM Manufacturer - meaning it'll compete with the likes of Dell, HP, MSI, and so on, putting Microsoft in a difficult position, as their latest machine would top anything they could offer - small form factor, playing the latest games (natively on the hardware), as well as internet browsing, metro apps, the works. It could even run MS Office. The only thing other OEMs would have going for it is that they could produce x86 boxes - whereas the Xbox is PPC based (and even that is an assumption).