[2008 iMac] Not booting from OSX CD

I've got a mid 2008 24'' iMac. Its served me well up until two days ago. It refuses to boot into OSX. Windows bootcamp boots perfectly.

No problem, I think, I'll just re-install and restore from my Time Capsule. Go to boot from my OSX SL Retails DVD. Kernel panics. Dig out the DVD that came with the iMac, same. No dice. Just Kernel Panics.

I'm able to boot into windows fine, however. I can also boot other CDs perfectly fine (gparted, memtest). I figure its a HDD issue, so I load up GParted and nuke the drive. Still, no dice. Kernel panics.

Bad RAM maybe? I remove the sticks and try them both in both slots one at a time. Still, no dice. OSX SL DVD just Kernel panics.

Any tips, ideas or suggestions?

Sell it on eBay as barely used in perfect condition? ;)

Joking aside; you're booting from DVD and still getting kernel panics? Hm, might be a bit overkill, but maybe try replacing the HD

When you boot off the SL DVD, does it Kernel Panic before it gets to the point of writing to the HDD? See if the SL DVD boots even with no Hard Drive installed? Ran the AHT Apple Hardware Test? Reset the NVRAM and SMC?

If it is not an I/O issue causing the panics (eg: HDD) it seems odd that both Memory modules would have the problem, so if the HDD & RAM are OK, maybe it is something less replacement friendly (Logic Board/Northbridge/CPU).

I assume that you have removed all USB devices except the keyboard to rule this out also. The fact that Windows and other boot discs are working I would not read too much into, sometimes these types of issues have a bit of a random factor to what symptoms you end up with.

When you boot off the SL DVD, does it Kernel Panic before it gets to the point of writing to the HDD? See if the SL DVD boots even with no Hard Drive installed? Ran the AHT Apple Hardware Test? Reset the NVRAM and SMC?

If it is not an I/O issue causing the panics (eg: HDD) it seems odd that both Memory modules would have the problem, so if the HDD & RAM are OK, maybe it is something less replacement friendly (Logic Board/Northbridge/CPU).

I assume that you have removed all USB devices except the keyboard to rule this out also. The fact that Windows and other boot discs are working I would not read too much into, sometimes these types of issues have a bit of a random factor to what symptoms you end up with.

thanks for a nice detailed post!

I boot from the DVD, I get the spinner under the Apple logo - thats where it Kernal Panics. It reads from the CD for a good few minutes and then goes.

I ran the AHT by holding the D key with the Leopard disk in the drive, and it freaked out. Oranges flashes and garbled pixels - not a good sign I'm sure.

I've reset the NVRAM - Not heard of SMC but after looking it up I've accidentally followed that procedure so we can rule that out.

I've nuked the HDD now with the same issues, so im not sure thats the issue but I'm trying to avoid taking out the HDD - seems i might have to give that a bash though.

I've also removed all USB devices and tried different USB ports on the back.

No joy I fear :(

Well try one RAM stick at a time.

If still no good try with another compatible RAM stick completely.

If still no good try one RAM stick and no HDD.

It also occured to me that it could be the Superdrive itself. Use a working Mac to copy the SL DVD to an 8GB+ USB Stick t(Google it for a guide to make sure you do it right so that it is bootable, it is quite easy to do) and see if it boots from a USB, even physically disconnecting/removing the Superdrive if possible (since you would need to go in to take out the HDD anyway)

If that doesn't work then something on your Logic Board is stuffed. Doesn't matter if it's the Northbridge/CPU/GPU etc. because it is all integrated anyway. You'ld either have to find a replacement Logic Board (i.e. eBay) or buy a new Mac and sell the parts you have left on eBay.