Help With Buying a New TV

Sir Topham Hatt

So I am looking to buy a new TV but I don't know which one to get.

Budget: ?900ish

Brand: Samsung. I know I'm limiting myself, I am open to other brands but I think Samsung are at the top of their game at the moment.

Size: Around 50"

Must have Freeview HD (some I have looked at don't state this, but they do have an HD tuner).

I like the fact the D6900 can record from the TV to a USB plugged in to the back of the TV.

I understand Samsung have/are replacing their "D" range with the "E" range.

I've looked on a couple of review sites and I was interested in the D9600 which received high scores nearly everywhere. However it seems that set is now slightly older and the replacement is the E6500. However this model is a fair bit more than I want to spend.

I've also looked at the E550, which is a few hundred pounds cheaper but I am afraid it won't have a couple of the main features I want.

Something else to consider is Comet stores have a deal where they will sell any 3DTV with two free glasses and a Bluray player. I'm not really bothered about that as I will have my HTPC attached to the TV anyway so would probably sell it. Although I have also read that Samsung include a pair of glasses in the TV box anyway, certainly for the 2012 editions (the "E" range).

I'm not too fussed about the 3D lark either, but in order to get a Freeview HD tuner and the screen size, you can't get those without 3D and Internet these days. It does get a bit better as I can get 10% off when I buy in a Comet store, however the extra ?300 for the E6500 puts me off :/ Unless they can sell me the TV for ?150 less and don't bother with the Bluray player. Hmm.

The other solution is so pick a lower screen size but a higher end version as I don't know if 51" will be a bit too big for comfort. My sister has a large TV in her lounge and it does look a bit silly :/ I currently have a 37" LG which is all right, I just want the Freeview HD really. UK Houses are a fair bit smaller than American ones.

Anyone have any advice?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By eRajesh
      Galaxy Note20 series One UI 3 beta with Android 11 registrations now open in the US
      by Rajesh Pandey

Samsung has started accepting applications for the Galaxy Note20 and Note20 Ultra's One UI 3 beta program in the United States. The company had launched the public beta program for the Galaxy S20 lineup in the United States earlier this month.

As of now, Samsung is only accepting applications from Galaxy Note20 or Note20 Ultra owners who have the Sprint, T-Mobile, or the unlocked variant of the device. If you want to try out the upcoming One UI 3 update on your Note20 now, you should send your application to Samsung using the Samsung Members app. The slots are limited so if you are interested, send your application as quickly as possible.

The first public beta One UI 3/Android 11 build for the Galaxy Note20 and Note20 Ultra should start rolling out in the coming days as well. Whenever the build does land though, it won't be too different from the One UI 3 build that's already available for the Galaxy S20 series in the United States.

Samsung is debuting a number of new features in One UI 3 including improved widget support in Always-on Display mode, enhanced Samsung Keyboard and Internet app with new features, more powerful Bixby Routine, and more.

Samsung should expand the One UI 3/Android 11 beta testing program for the Galaxy S20 and Galaxy Note20 to other countries like India, Germany, Poland, China, the United Kingdom, and more.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Samsung rolls out the Galaxy Tab Active3 Enterprise Edition in Germany for €477
      by Jay Bonggolto

Samsung announced today the availability of the Galaxy Tab Active3 Enterprise Edition in Germany. The rugged tablet was originally unveiled late last month for enterprise users.

The Tab Active3 is now available to purchase via Samsung's retail partners and select wireless carriers in Germany. It carries a price tag of €477, available only in black and with support for three generations of Android upgrades.

It sports an 8-inch TFT LCD display with a 1920x1200 resolution. The tablet is powered by an octa-core Exynos 9810 SoC paired with 4GB of RAM and up to 128GB of internal storage that's expandable via a microSD card. At the back of the device, there's a 13MP camera while at the front sits a 5MP selfie camera.

As a rugged device, it is MIL-STD-810H certified, meaning it can endure various challenging environments. It is also IP68-rated for dust and water protection. Samsung also claims the tablet can withstand a drop of up to 1.5 meters courtesy of its shock absorption system coupled with its Protective Cover.

The Tab Active3 packs a 5050mAh removable battery that features a No Battery mode, allowing you to use the tablet without a battery by plugging it in to a power supply. Of course, it supports Samsung DeX for a PC-like experience and Google ARCore for augmented reality services. In addition, it has a quick access button mounted on its side and comes with an IP68-certified S Pen.

• By Usman Khan Lodhi
      You can get your phone fixed without having to leave your home thanks to uBreakiFix
      by Usman Khan Lodhi

uBreakiFix, an electronics repair service, is launching its "We Come to You" mobile repair program across the U.S., in which the company's services are brought to customers' doors rather than the other way around. It also offered free Google Pixel repairs to frontline workers earlier this year. A fleet of more than 640 repair vehicles has been deputed to handle repairs, which include screen repair and battery replacement, in two hours or less.

Appointments can be booked as soon as the same day, and visits can be arranged for places other than your home, as long as the place is in an eligible zip code. Customers may take note that the vehicles won't offer a full range of repairs that they can get at a brick-and-mortar location. For now, only a handful of repair types are supported, with the firm planning to expand the program for more types of devices and services in the future. To secure appointments, there is a $30 non-refundable fee.

Though the launch has been announced nationwide, it isn't available in every market yet, with the firm planning to add 700 vehicles by the end of the year and extending the program to Canada. To check if these mobile repairs are available in your area, head over to this page, and input your zip code.

• By Abhay V
      Apple Music TV brings a 24-hour music video streaming service for free in the U.S.
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Apple today launched ‘Apple Music TV’, a new 24-hour free music streaming service in the U.S. that serves up a constant stream of music videos and other related content such as “exclusive new music videos and premieres, special curated music video blocks, and live shows and events as well as chart countdowns and guests”. The service is being made available on the Apple Music and Apple TV apps.

Apple Music TV can be found in the Browse tab of the apps and premiered this morning with the top 100 songs streamed in the U.S. on Apple Music. The platform also serves as a launchpad for new content. On October 22, the service will stream a celebration of Bruce Springsteen's “Letter to You” album that includes an interview by Zane Lowe, Apple Music’s radio station anchor, and “a special livestream fan event”.

On Friday, October 23, there will be two new “exclusive video premieres” at 9 AM PT that include Joji’s “777” and Saint Jhn’s “Gorgeous”. The company adds that the channel will premier new videos every Friday during that time.

The firm also says in the announcement that its original content like concert films, interviews, and documentaries will also "have a home on Apple Music TV”. The service looks to be aimed at rivals such as YouTube and Vevo. It will be interesting to see how the Cupertino giant expands Apple Music TV and what other content makes it to the platform.

Source: Variety

• By Abhay V
      Samsung begins rolling out One UI 2.5 to the Galaxy S9 series
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Samsung debuted One UI 2.5 with the Note20 series, which then made it to other flagships such as the S20 line, the S10 and Note10 series of phones, and even the Note9 just last week. Today, the latest Android 10-based One UI release is reportedly making it to the Galaxy S9 and S9+, which is most likely the last major update for the 2018 flagships.

The list of features making it to the S9 series is not quite different from the Note9, which means that the devices can now let users leverage wireless DeX capabilities. There are also other improvements such as added functionality for the Pro Video mode, options for Single Take recording, and enhancements to some system apps. The update should also add support for Android 10’s gesture navigation system with third-party launchers, which has been a limitation in One UI 2.1.

The rollout has reportedly begun rolling out to users in Germany and is expected to make it to more regions in the next few weeks. You can read about all the new One UI 2.5 features here, but it is to be noted that not all features will be supported on older devices such as shooting 21:9 videos in 8K and the like.

This will most likely be the last of the major updates for the S9 family of phones. Going forward, the company is expected to only release monthly security updates for the next year before moving to a quarterly update schedule.

Source: SamMobile