vB or IPB

Question

Hello people, I am new at here, I only want to do this question...

What do you think is better?

IP.Board or vBulletin?

I currently have a license at vBulletin and I want to buy a IPB license now, but in this moment I am using a community hosted by then...

Assemblergames went from version 2 of VB to version 3... Version 2 was FINE, version 3 is a pile of cack, tries to shoot further than it should. It's a mess, a mess that's riddled with bugs and uneasy navigation that makes no sense.

iPB.

Used vBulletin (admin of one forum) and trust me, it is garbage.. go for IPB.

vB is by far more functional than IPB.

But alternatively you may look on xenForo. It's made by former vB developers.Similar in functionality (including moderation capabilities and subscription system) but looks bit in a different way.

As an end-user I'd always say IPB. vBulletin's latest release is quite good looking but it is simply not on the same level as IPB. I can't say much about administrating vBulletin either, but I have had some experience with IPB and it is very usable. It's a very straightforward ACP and allows you to get to work quickly. Don't get me wrong: I have a few gripes with it but it is a very usable system, and is the sort of thing you could get anyone on to. Coth has a good suggestion as well. You might like to see XenForo. Personally I think it's the most appealing software of the three for running a forum on due to all the eye-candy and the quality of design, but you might like to test it out first. I don't think it is a particularly cheap option either, but it manages to blend the functionality of vBulletin and IPB while retaining a completely different interface.

Invision power software is fantastic, I have been an administrator on two sites, one of them my own, with this software and one with vBulletin which was a design website/forum. vBulletin seems outdated now and is trying to catch up with the likes of Invision Power and Xenforo. Go for it, i would not recommend hosting with invision power though, it would be better to get a designated host like justhost or bluehost and then upload the forum software.

Good luck with your forum!

The most important negative point about IPB is lack of subscription system. But if you going to have a tiny forum it won't be a problem. On a large forum is a big problem.

The most important negative point about IPB is lack of subscription system. But if you going to have a tiny forum it won't be a problem. On a large forum is a big problem.

IPB doesn't have a subscription system?! :s How do you explain the subscriber levels on Neowin?

IPB doesn't have a subscription system?! :s How do you explain the subscriber levels on Neowin?

It's an add-on made by a 3rd party (not us for a change)

IPB does a subscription integrated into it, you can buy IP Nexus which can also function as a very useful shop. It also has two free third party subscription addons.

What about phpBB?

That software sucks if im honest, good if you are new to forums though.

Wasn't following IPB news since some time. Checked now on Neowin. It has some basic subscription system, but it appears to be very buggy - jumps by two pages and marking as read pages that were not read.

Wasn't following IPB news since some time. Checked now on Neowin. It has some basic subscription system, but it appears to be very buggy - jumps by two pages and marking as read pages that were not read.

Subscriptions have nothing to do with marking pages as read :s

all forum software companies have drama to them... all peices of forum software have drama to them... pick your poison really.

What about phpBB?

Stay far away, big time sec. risks.

I've always considered IPB to be the most professional. Everyone else still seems to be stuck with glossy gradients (just the default skin, of course) and that's an instant turn off.

I've ran a website since 2004 on VBulletin and have no complaints, i also recently setup a website for a client using IPB and it's just as good, they both do the job... really i would just try them both side by side perform the same tasks and see which fits your work flow better, i will say IPB seems more modern, but apart from that it's down to personal preference really.

phpBB is the worst software i've ever used, can't stand it.

That is most important part of subscription system.

You and they are talking about two entirely different kinds of "subscriptions".

For the record, he's talking about subscribing to threads.