Tony Online (AOL CLONE)

Question

Version 0.1 Alpha I would like to thank the following members for their help with the coding :

James Rose

neufuse

You received credits in the about menu.

http://togermano.com/temp/Tony%20Online.exe

This is alpha and its very ugly.... But its a starting point... To get the browser portion to work type in the address hit + button first so it opens up a new web browser in that window. If you want to change the url later hit the go button and will change the URL in the opened window.

The news and games button work but I may change the links and use my own website sooner or later.

Some problems :

Internet Explorer Control I am using does not let javascripts to run..... How do I get one that does let them run?

In the future I would to use the Firefox rendering instead

Any suggestions? Or improvements let me know!

In fairness, it's clean.

as far as you know. There are new trojans and viruses popping up daily, your AV company hasn't discovered this one yet =)

As others say, screenshots!

Tell us what it does ... such as browser, chat, etc.. so we the users can decide to download and try or wait until next version.

I won't download until I see the screenshots first. Sorry. And the changelog to show us the bugfixes and feature additions. This helps us to help you.

I won't download today because I have seen the users who have found the problem with the browser. I pass this time. I could wait until this software gets fixed.

It's an MDI form with 2 toolbars, one for his links and one for the address. Each window is an instance of a web browser control. And that is it.

Sounds like it's not an AOL Clone, but another browser. If I am wrong, would you be so kind to let me know what else this app is?

Sounds like it's not an AOL Clone, but another browser. If I am wrong, would you be so kind to let me know what else this app is?

That is pretty much what AOL is though... All it is missing is the chat function

As others say, screenshots!

Tell us what it does ... such as browser, chat, etc.. so we the users can decide to download and try or wait until next version.

I won't download until I see the screenshots first. Sorry. And the changelog to show us the bugfixes and feature additions. This helps us to help you.

I won't download today because I have seen the users who have found the problem with the browser. I pass this time. I could wait until this software gets fixed.

There is no problems with it .... He just didnt read the directions I posted about clicking + button first

That is pretty much what AOL is though... All it is missing is the chat function

See, this is where you went off the rails. AOL is a service provider and besides a browser (that used to be Netscape) it is (was?) many other tools. Making your own browser is fine, what I am saying is that when you are explaining something to someone it will help you if you can clarify what you are trying to achieve. In this case, get a lot less ridicule that you have had to suffer when you said you want to recreate AOL.

All in all, it seems to me that you are just starting to learn development, which is fine (everyone starts somewhere. I started 20 years ago with VB 2.0... so I have that to live with. Anyway....) I enjoy writing code, and everything that is said here, even by those who are mocking you, is attempts at trying to steer you in the correct direction.

Best of luck.

There is no problems with it .... He just didnt read the directions I posted about clicking + button first

Yeah I did read that... but I don't bother to download and try it because I rather hit enter after typing the url.. simple. Like I said, I wait until the next version or two whichever you get that fixed...

I know other people like me rather hit enter key instead of clicking on that button... I'll pass.

I know other people like me rather hit enter key instead of clicking on that button... I'll pass.

Good point. Good UI attempts to avoid RELYING on the mouse. You'll want to look into the KeyPress or KeyDown events.

It's not harsh at all. I have in no way suggested that he stops coding his app, if it helps him learn. I will now suggest that his pursuit is in the wrong direction - making a "does everything" app is a terrible idea. Learn to programme by focussing on one specific need.

Getting feedback is great - so post the source of your app too!

What I don't think is a good idea is suggesting that elderly relatives install this app. It's just a shell for an ie control as far as I can see. My mum (of granparent age now) would be better off staying with Chrome as she is used to it, it delivers everything she needs. If this person wishes to offer support though...

It's an incomplete app, it has bugs and is going to be poorly coded - not questioning the OP's ability - just that this is a "learning app" - it WILL have bugs. Don't dress it up as anything more than that.

It's not "Alpha". You are not "releasing" this. Be more concerned with coding and less concerned with calling things names. If you want to show your progress, make the source available too rather than a random EXE file.

I'm not trashing his app in any way. Show me where I am!

You weren't being sarcastic? Ouch..

You weren't being sarcastic? Ouch..

I feel that GreenWizard's statements are not designed to be mean or sarcastic, they do seem honest and helpful. Togerland is, to me, obviously new at this, which is fine. IfTogerland is not new to development than I feel he does have some steps to learn. In ether case, it's fine. Development is going to be an ongoing learning process for all of us who write code for a living.

Good luck and best wishes.

why can't you instead code a forum software suite that would mimic a lot of the features that IPB has at a low price? The market needs more of this then an AOL clone

why can't you instead code a forum software suite that would mimic a lot of the features that IPB has at a low price? The market needs more of this then an AOL clone

xenforo?

xenfor is not much cheaper then IPB... we need one that's like it only like less then 50USD

just putting this out there, I in no way wrote code for this, just gave pseudo code help....

lol; way to try wriggling out of it :p

AOL was a lot more than just a browser. It was more of a BBS than that. You logged into AOL, then you had forums, news, chat, downloads, and if you wanted to actually surf the internet, you could open a browser and do so.

I started 20 years ago with VB 2.0...

I've got you beat, I learned on BASIC using a TI-99 4/A, to actually program you had to use a cartridge, then save to a cassette tape or 5 1/4. but thats off topic.