Games in Win2k3

why do people recomend gaming with windows xp? 2k3 is a faster and more stable operating system. if ur video cards drivers work with it, then it should be BETTER for games than xp, right?

why do people recomend gaming with windows xp? 2k3 is a faster and more stable operating system. if ur video cards drivers work with it, then it should be BETTER for games than xp, right?

explain (with benchmarks and test?s) how w2k3 is faster and more stable than a proper configured xp please:))

There are exeptions to the rule, I can leagelly get server 2003 and office because of a huge computer store that i will ocasinaly intern at. My benchmarks slightly lean towards 2k3 but not enough to make a huge difference.

i don't know if games run faster on 2k3, but definitly the windows interface is noticeably faster, apps open faster as well. Feels like a more robust version of xp (which i guess it is :-))

i also feel that 2k3 is faster than XP, but haven't tried any games on it yet, so don't know if games are gonna run faster or not...

2k3 also takes smaller HD space compared to XP, but don't know what got left out...

I never understood why people try and make server OS's into operating systems. It is designed to work AS A SERVER. To share files and printers NOT to work on programs like Adobe, or even Office. When I was hired here the two programmers were running on Windows NT4 SERVER. That was the first thing I changed.

because they want to. beyond that, theres nothing else you need to understand.

I can't accept that. I WANT to fly a helicopter, but if I'm a total dumbass and don't take any lessons first, I won't get off the ground.

Bottom line for me is, if you have to ask how to make a server work, maybe you shouldn't be playing with one.

what about if u wanted to run a games server. lol also u cant just say because its a server its not meant to run office. why not. what if system admins wanted to type something in word for example. If thats the case what programs are u exactly meant to run on a server.

Well, if you want to run a Game SERVER then that?s one thing. I believe (I don't do any gamming, so I don't know how they are set up) that would be a good use of a Windows server product. I have never typed something up in word. I am a System Admin at the company I work at and my workstation uses Windows XP Pro, not a server product. If I wanted to type something in Office, it would be at my desk, on my workstation. Not standing up in my server room. Why would someone want to spend $650 on a Workstation OS? When you can do everything it does on a $170 copy of Windows XP.

Sawyer12: Thank you, I think so to:):)

lets take money out of the picture. i have both xp and 2k3. i want to use one or the other, i game often. other wise im doing office, or internet stuff. i do other stuff but not that often. which os should i keep. i think 2k3 is faster and more stable from what ive seen so far.

I have installed 2003 to a clone SERVER and I have had nothing but problems with it. I believe I am having driver issues (I keep getting the BSOD with the BAD_POOL_CALL error). I would stay stick with Windows XP. You can always slim it down so It runs faster then Windows 2K3.

Windows Server 2003 runs games better than XP!! At least for me!

One example, I have played Halo on 2003 and XP on the same physical system. On 2003 I can have all the settings on high with a res of 1024x768 and it's smooth, where as the XP needs slightly lower settings and 800x600 to run to the same smoothness. I am using 45.23 drivers with GeForce4 Ti 64mb card in a p3 1ghz system with 512 mb ram.

Also, anyone notice that the default MS Force Feedback Wheel drivers for 2003 uses split pedals (very nice), but XP uses combined. Must be a server requirement!! :p

Edited by pjak

For all the people who are saying Server OSs aren't designed for gaming: the Xbox is not designed to run Linux. My old CDrom drives aren't designed to be dismantled and wired directly into my hi-fi amplifier. My ZX spectrum 48k was not designed to be hooked up to my 17.1" TFT monitor. But all that stuff was done anyway, because it was a challenge, and i enjoyed it. Who the f**k cares if something wasn't designed to do a particular task? Thats part of the fun. If everybody used everything exactly as it was meant to be used, we'd all be boring soulless automatons.

Oh wait, thats what you all sound like anyway...

For all the people who are saying Server OSs aren't designed for gaming: the Xbox is not designed to run Linux. My old CDrom drives aren't designed to be dismantled and wired directly into my hi-fi amplifier. My ZX spectrum 48k was not designed to be hooked up to my 17.1" TFT monitor. But all that stuff was done anyway, because it was a challenge, and i enjoyed it. Who the f**k cares if something wasn't designed to do a particular task? Thats part of the fun. If everybody used everything exactly as it was meant to be used, we'd all be boring soulless automatons.

Oh wait, thats what you all sound like anyway...

Most of your modifications were more cost effective or done as a hobby, which is perfectly justified. Running games on win2k3 is obviously not more cost efective than running xp and why would you spend the time trying to get it to run games when the cheaper OS is already designed for that? If it is indeed a hobby then stop asking everyone else and their mother to teach you how to do it. The whole point of hobbys like that is to learn how to do it yourself. I think the problem that most of us have with this is the 9 billion people in here posting about hardware and driver problems they are having for hardware that shouldn't even be used in a server. (and the 9 billion questions about game XYZ) If a question is server related and it involves some aspect of the intended functionality of the OS then by all means post it here. Otherwise maybe the mods should discuss a seperate sub-forum for all the misfits out there.

rezza this entire post is not aimed at you. The reason I quoted your post was because I discussed it in the top 2 sentences or so. You do have a good point though.

If it is indeed a hobby then stop asking everyone else and their mother to teach you how to do it. The whole point of hobbys like that is to learn how to do it yourself. I think the problem that most of us have with this is the 9 billion people in here posting about hardware and driver problems they are having for hardware that shouldn't even be used in a server.

I agree with you... you're either going to enjoy ****ing around with it and wrangling with the difficulties, or you're going to **** people off in a forum by posting threads asking why something won't work properly...

Personally I use 2k3 for games when I can't get them to run on Linux.

this post isnt about money, its about wether games run faster on 2k3 than xp. after 2k3 has been "converteed to a workstation". i havent tried it yet, but i think 2k3 would be better than xp.

statikmat,

i agree some of the posts about game xyz are annoying, but one can simply post nothing in reply, or say its not possible. It isn't necessary in my opinion (and I'm not saying that you do this, but many do) to say for the 10 millionth time that it's a server OS and berate them for trying such a thing on it, or to accuse them for stealing it. Some geeks should just relax, get off their high horses and have a beer or something.

I think the real answer to the original topic is, no games don't run BETTER than in XP, not at all, but they run just as good, so why not? Thats what he was asking, its not a sin to play games in 2k3, but I would never recommend 2k3 over xp to someone who wasn't experienced, if someone is gonna be playin with 2k3 they should be aware that much more advanced tweaking is required to get it running for gaming the same as XP, and if you tweak XP you can get it to be just as fast as 2k3 for the 'desktop' opening/closing applications etc, default install vs default install, 2k3 'feels' faster, just like 2000 server did over 2k pro, just like nt4 did over 95/98 :p But dosn't mean its better for games, stick with XP if you want gaming.

statikmat,

i agree some of the posts about game xyz are annoying, but one can simply post nothing in reply, or say its not possible. It isn't necessary in my opinion (and I'm not saying that you do this, but many do) to say for the 10 millionth time that it's a server OS and berate them for trying such a thing on it, or to accuse them for stealing it. Some geeks should just relax, get off their high horses and have a beer or something.

I really believe there have been enough "wars" over this very topic that the mods should defintiely make a new section for it, or at least a sticky. Many of the mods are even in these very debates. If there was a seperate section then those of us that come to the server support section would be able to view it without all the posts about gaming/running it as a workstation and those of us that would like to use it for those purposes may do so and not have to listen to people that don't like it.