Games in Win2k3

I never said it couldn't or shouldn't be done, obviously it can be used quite effectively as a workstation/gaming system if you know what you're doing. If you read what I've said, though, I basically say that it's pointless to do so unless you're utilizing the extra services provided by the fact that it's a server operating system. All of the so-called speed and stability can be obtained on XP just as effectively, you just have to configure it like the server (i.e. turn off unneeded services, etc.). In addition, most people are probably installing windows server after using their XP installation for a while...so the XP installation is slower because of all the crap that's been installed, obviously no one's going to argue against my saying that any clean installed OS is faster than one that's been used for a while. I believe this adds to the "speed" myth. If you use the extra services provided by 2k3, e.g. IIS, the system management web console, file/print sharing, activedirectory, etc. then it makes sense, but if you just use it as a regular workstation it's a waste. The licensing thing is a whole other issue, and largely irrelevant because most people have XP pirated anyway.

In addition to Faulkner's style as said above, I also meant the dialogue of slaves in his book, which is practically incoherent babbling. <--that faulkner thing was certainly "Dennis Miller"-esque, wasn't it ; ) but I knew someone would get it : )

And esoteric jokes are always the most fun, because they actually require thought to get...and you feel all smart because you think to yourself "wow, I know only about 1% of the people would get that, damn I'm good" : )

I've tried running UT 2003 only on Win2K3 and it runs pretty nice...not the best of performances i've seen but it's good.

the XP installation is slower because of all the crap that's been installed, obviously no one's going to argue against my saying that any clean installed OS is faster than one that's been used for a while.  I believe this adds to the "speed" myth.  If you use the extra services provided by 2k3, e.g. IIS, the system management web console, file/print sharing, activedirectory, etc. then it makes sense, but if you just use it as a regular workstation it's a waste.

it's the speed myth i have an issue with. it is NOT a myth, as i've compared a FRESHLY installed and tweak Win2k3 sever, to a FRESHLY installed and tweaked WinXP workstation, and win2k3 boots up faster, gives slightly higher 3dmark scores, AND most applications generally 'feel' a bit more responsive. even memory usage of all processes is lower on win2k3 than in XP, AFTER tweaking both.

so it's not a myth, unless you're implying that all us win2k3 workstationed boyz are suffering some sort of MASS DELUSION. :omg: in which case, which pill do you recommend we take? the red one? :shifty:

i mean, unless someone is really really good at tweaking XP, maybe its a different story. i do many of the standards tweaks found in X-setup, disable zip folders, imaging, msn, and disabled at least a dozen or more services. in win2k3, i just have to turn on direct x accleration and hardware acclerations, and disable maybe 6 or so services and it's done being tweaked.

it's the speed myth i have an issue with. it is NOT a myth, as i've compared a FRESHLY installed and tweak Win2k3 sever, to a FRESHLY installed and tweaked WinXP workstation, and win2k3 boots up faster, gives slightly higher 3dmark scores, AND most applications generally 'feel' a bit more responsive. even memory usage of all processes is lower on win2k3 than in XP, AFTER tweaking both.

so it's not a myth, unless you're implying that all us win2k3 workstationed boyz are suffering some sort of MASS DELUSION. :omg: in which case, which pill do you recommend we take? the red one? :shifty:

i mean, unless someone is really really good at tweaking XP, maybe its a different story. i do many of the standards tweaks found in X-setup, disable zip folders, imaging, msn, and disabled at least a dozen or more services. in win2k3, i just have to turn on direct x accleration and hardware acclerations, and disable maybe 6 or so services and it's done being tweaked.

I so agree. i disable some services and BAM, speed city, works so well.

XP is by far faster than 2k3 providing you know what your doing and what to turn off, don't let your ignorant shine through just because you have problems tweaking XP to be faster.
Funny.. 2k3 is faster for me out of the box than XP was when I tweaked it (Yes, I know what I'm doing, thank you).

I use 2003 because a) it comes with IIS6.0 and I run a webserver, and iis6 is rather nice b) I had problems with XP ****ing up my connection, twice. Go ahead and say it's my fault and I don't know what I'm doing.. but believe me, I know quite a few other people that had the SAME problem. 2003 hasn't given me any problems so far. c) I got a free legal copy of 2003, so why not?

doesn't everyone say they have a "Free Legal Copy" of Windows 2003?

it's funny how it always gets thrown in, that win2003 users use pirate copies. i mean, if you're like 75% of people on here, you probably do have a bootleg copy of win2k3, and before that, you had a bootlegged XP, and before that, a bootlegged win2k, win98, win31. heck, i think even my DOS copy was bootlegged.

how does this play into the discussion that Win2K3 is better at gaming than XP? am i supposed to grow a concience all of a sudden? oh, and with $50billion in the BANK, i'm guessing MS is doing just fine without the $1,000+ it should've gotten from me over these years. :shifty:

edit: ok, maybe 75% number is just a number i picked out of a hat, but it's at LEAST 50%+. :yes:

it's funny how it always gets thrown in, that win2003 users use pirate copies. i mean, if you're like 75% of people on here, you probably do have a bootleg copy of win2k3, and before that, you had a bootlegged XP, and before that, a bootlegged win2k, win98, win31. heck, i think even my DOS copy was bootlegged.

how does this play into the discussion that Win2K3 is better at gaming than XP? am i supposed to grow a concience all of a sudden? oh, and with $50billion in the BANK, i'm guessing MS is doing just fine without the $1,000+ it should've gotten from me over these years. :shifty:

edit: ok, maybe 75% number is just a number i picked out of a hat, but it's at LEAST 50%+. :yes:

Thats all true.

well, mine is downloaded from Micro$oft! It's legal.

Well I could get Windows Server 2003 for free if I want. My university has a deal with MS so that all students in the EECS (Electrical Engineering / Computer Science) department can get a crapload of MS software for free.

:D

Actually this is William Faulkners thread.

And for those who dont know his writing style,Faulkner break his first thought into many branches so it is almost impossible to remember his first thought.Just like this one.

U hit my sensitive nerve heredarkmarkm8,so i forgive u for all u said for me.LOL.

But yes u can transform this OS who is dedicated for server reasons to a game station or to whatever u like.Is possible, i m sure everyone agree with that.The only problem is the licence.

But this is another discussion,right?Which i dont have any problem to start and participate with possitive comments.

END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR

MICROSOFT SOFTWARE

snipped, we've been here before

ok where dose it say u cant use it as a workstation ?

Edited by silly_walk

Who brought up the EULA in this discussion? Complaining about piracy (a stupid argument in this issue) does not mean you have to post the whole stupid license.

actually, he was referring to this comment:

But yes u can transform this OS who is dedicated for server reasons to a game station or to whatever u like.Is possible, i m sure everyone agree with that.The only problem is the licence.

but i agree, posting the entire long-winded EULA is annoying. they could've just said "its NOT in their EULA, here's a LINK to it" :crazy:

It also doesn't say not to use it as a paperweight, but that would be a waste also. Especially if no one here knew how to use a paperweight and asked all kinds of annoying questions that they would not ask if they had been trained to use that paperweight.

It also doesn't say not to use it as a paperweight, but that would be a waste also. Especially if no one here knew how to use a paperweight and asked all kinds of annoying questions that they would not ask if they had been trained to use that paperweight.

That was beautiful.

i understand what you're saying, but why not make a forum for tweaking win2003 as a workstation? obviously, there's a huge demand for it, and i agree you dont want to be bothered or taken away from real server-related topics.

but the hostility towards workstationed 2003 users is unwarranted. i mean, it'd be like telling people that want to mod their Xbox to play divx movies or run linux to not bother because its just a gaming station.

or telling fools who want to put 18" rims and spoiler on a Neon not to bother since its just a plain sh*t box car. hmmm. ok, i see you're point now. i DO tell people not to mod their neons and cavaliers since it's just plain stupid. :yes:

or telling fools who want to put 18" rims and spoiler on a Neon not to bother since its just a plain sh*t box car. hmmm. ok, i see you're point now. i DO tell people not to mod their neons and cavaliers since it's just plain stupid. :yes:

LMAO!!!

For me is obvious however i ll make it clear.

W2k3 is not a open source OS.

Is a commercial and it costs a looo...oot of money.To buy a licence to use it as a workstation its like a black joke at the black nights hearing Black Sabbath.

So most of the people ,exept rare occasions(like one or 2 who described in previous posts) when they hit the F8 and accept the licence, without doubt they violate the terms and conditions of the f...g licence.

Thats the reason i said this is another discussion.

The followings words of mine are not new or maybe is out of topic,however i would like to get out these of my chest for some reason.

Its not a secret that in the early nineties 90's that Ms and personal The master chief Mr Bill they wanted to see their windows to be installed in every god d*mn machine so they really didnt care if someone had a legal or illegal copy of their crappy software of that time.U could say that they shared their pirated copies by themselves hand by hand just to be installed in the Pcs of the people who just that time started to use the computers at the houses and offices.The reasons for those actions are obvius,i believe.

But The 9x kernel Oses was quite buggy and the people started for mass complaints and the only thing that saved Bill Gates ass after the totally disastrous arrival of Me was their happy users of NT kernel but which was meant to use for networks as a server.

So they brought after the new releases as we know them as windows 2000-XP-2003.

But how many of u knows that the NT kernel its not a MS building.

Did for someones the name David Cutler rings something in their ears?Click to see the history of NT

D*mn U man David Cutler u are the cause who are fighting in this thread and the Microsoft People are the richest people in the world today.

And knobody knows your name.

i understand what you're saying, but why not make a forum for tweaking win2003 as a workstation?? obviously, there's a huge demand for it, and i agree you dont want to be bothered or taken away from real server-related topics.?

but the hostility towards workstationed 2003 users is unwarranted.? i mean, it'd be like telling people that want to mod their Xbox to play divx movies or run linux to not bother because its just a gaming station.?

or telling fools who want to put 18" rims and spoiler on a Neon not to bother since its just a plain sh*t box car.? hmmm.? ok, i see you're point now.? i DO tell people not to mod their neons and cavaliers since it's just plain stupid.?:yes:p; :yes:

Actually it's more like saying "Tough luck" when things happen like XBox live banning you for modding your xbox.

i understand what you're saying, but why not make a forum for tweaking win2003 as a workstation?? obviously, there's a huge demand for it, and i agree you dont want to be bothered or taken away from real server-related topics.?

but the hostility towards workstationed 2003 users is unwarranted.? i mean, it'd be like telling people that want to mod their Xbox to play divx movies or run linux to not bother because its just a gaming station.?

or telling fools who want to put 18" rims and spoiler on a Neon not to bother since its just a plain sh*t box car.? hmmm.? ok, i see you're point now.? i DO tell people not to mod their neons and cavaliers since it's just plain stu:yes:?? :yes:

Actually it's more like saying "Tough luck" when things happen like XBox live banning you for modding your xbox.

Good :yes:le. :yes:

Who would run games off of Win2k3 Server? Why run it as a workstation, this post is downright stupid. You spoiled kids go out and buy Win2k3 server so you can play games on it? I think not...take your warez and shove it up your ass.

It's not so much the questions regarding workstation, so much as the games tweaking questions. For me, anyway. Anyway, it's not a problem, it's an opinion that others happen to share. And others don't. :)

Excluding games from the idea, any other application would be perfectly normal to see on a server. People tend to forget about Terminal Services, and it's not uncommon at all to see a terminal server with Office and many other products installed.

Hell, for the user experience, you may even want to enable themes and pipe sound over the network to them.

Too many people have closed-minded ideas about what a server is. A server is a computer that provides a service. If someone wants to play games on it, has paid for it, and can get their games working on it, great. If I sold a server OS without gamers being the intended audience and they were buying it up because it gave them +5 fps in their favorite game, I'd be all for it.

All you smartass "sysadmins" need to get off your high horses and think outside the boxes you work in. Your situation isn't the only situation out there.