• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Games in Win2k3

uniacidz    8
why do people recomend gaming with windows xp? 2k3 is a faster and more stable operating system. if ur video cards drivers work with it, then it should be BETTER for games than xp, right?

*Beats head against wall*

How the **** is 2k3 more stable?

Considering my mate did a bench test and 2k3 scored only 60 points better in the results in 3dmark2003 and thats without the latest XP updates and kernel updates.

Not much difference sunshine.

Edited by Davey

sgtLENIN    0

Considering my mate did a bench test and 2k3 scored only 60fps faster results in 3dmark2003 and thats without the latest XP updates and kernel updates.

ONLY 60 fps more? ehm.. :pinch:

uniacidz    8

Considering my mate did a bench test and 2k3 scored only 60fps faster results in 3dmark2003 and thats without the latest XP updates and kernel updates.

ONLY 60 fps more? ehm.. :pinch:

Sorry

i meant 60 points better.

Post has been edited to reflect that.

2k3 scored 60 points higher in 3dmark03

Sorry for the mistake people.

:ninja:

sgtLENIN    0

Damnit! And i was going to switch to 2k3! :( :p

Malechai    120
I can't accept that. I WANT to fly a helicopter, but if I'm a total dumbass and don't take any lessons first, I won't get off the ground.

Bottom line for me is, if you have to ask how to make a server work, maybe you shouldn't be playing with one.

re: first comment. thats not even the same.

re: 2nd. people can do and use what they want. they learn by trying and asking questions.

i dont see why what other people do or use upsets some people

AnalogRival    1

I tried Win2k3 for games over XP on my backup PC, and 2k3 was slightly slower for me, but it probably differs from machine to machine. I had 2k3 configured just like XP, no unneeded services, no drive indexing, all the updates, drivers, configuration.

AndyD    22
I code on 2000 Server at work, and I'm hoping to get upgraded to 2003 soon if nothing then for the XP feel that I have at home

Now why would your company have you sitting at a server coding away??? Seems highly unlikely that any admin would want to have such a setup in his/her network.

Bonez    0

LOL, I've made the switch, no more XP, and I don't even have the 2k3 interface nor the XP interface, I have a nice clean running, Longhorm skin pasted over 2k3. The system is set up as both a server running DNS, DHCP and Active Directory, and it is also being used as, get this, a PC, not a workstation as I do more than work on it, I also play GAMES. Smoother, quicker, and more security than XP.

3D Mark 2001 SE scores: XP = 5400 2k3 = 5460 and I still haven't added all of the tweaks to the registry yet, like clearing out the Page file at shut down, setting the L2 cache to 256KB (T-Bred core Athlon XP), disableing Services. I recon that as soon as I finish those tweaks I should be able to increase my 3D Mark scores by quite a bit.

Why did I do it??? Because I could, I know what I am doing, I was given a free copy of 2k3 and I needed a legit OS on my computer. It makes a good PC OS and as long as you know what you are doing and aren't afraid of BIG changes, why not try it.

Glowstick    3
re: 2nd.  people can do and use what they want.  they learn by trying and asking questions.

That'd be valid if they'd actually be asking stuff like "how do I get AD to work" or "how do I get the cert services to work" and **** like that. But no, they're only interested into using a server OS for gaming.

and I still haven't added all of the tweaks to the registry yet, like clearing out the Page file at shut down, setting the L2 cache to 256KB (T-Bred core Athlon XP)

Those two don't do ****.

Malechai    120
That'd be valid if they'd actually be asking stuff like "how do I get AD to work" or "how do I get the cert services to work" and **** like that. But no, they're only interested into using a server OS for gaming.

i understand that tom. don't get me wrong here.. i'm not trying to start an argument about it because i couldn't really care either way.

the attitude given off by the neowin community on this topic seems to force users to go elsewhere to ask their questions. its unfortunate its like that.

AndyD    22
LOL, I've made the switch, no more XP, and I don't even have the 2k3 interface nor the XP interface, I have a nice clean running, Longhorm skin pasted over 2k3. The system is set up as both a server running DNS, DHCP and Active Directory, and it is also being used as, get this, a PC, not a workstation as I do more than work on it, I also play GAMES. Smoother, quicker, and more security than XP.

3D Mark 2001 SE scores: XP = 5400 2k3 = 5460 and I still haven't added all of the tweaks to the registry yet, like clearing out the Page file at shut down, setting the L2 cache to 256KB (T-Bred core Athlon XP), disableing Services. I recon that as soon as I finish those tweaks I should be able to increase my 3D Mark scores by quite a bit.

Why did I do it??? Because I could, I know what I am doing, I was given a free copy of 2k3 and I needed a legit OS on my computer. It makes a good PC OS and as long as you know what you are doing and aren't afraid of BIG changes, why not try it.

Why do you need to run Active Directory?? Or even DNS for that matter?? Are you learning how to use it?

Bonez    0

The computer I have running 2k3 also acts as my home server with 5 other computers attached to it all sharing internet. Plus it is a learning thing.

AndyD    22

Then I can understand. I'm all for learning experiences but for those who are after a more stable system is in denial. You can accomplish the same in XP :)

VanAlex    0

Here is a good reason to want to have games working on 2k3, I've a small office, and as a Microsoft Certified partner I have 2k3 for "free" (Except for the annual fee).

I want 2k3 in my computer that is connected to MY DSL line so that I can show off technology to my clients trough the Internet and VPNs...But when I finish my work I want to run a batch file that will stop, most services so that I can use the same DSL line for some fragging.

The only thing keeping me from IT nirvana is not being able to run Norton Systemworks on it...If someone knows please tell me =).

P.S. - I don't remember the exact value but 3dmark scored a difference of 100 or so points between 2k3 and XP. I can live with that.

PF Prophet    0

xp isnt as stable as 2k3 or as responcive even on my 2600+ system there is a huge difrance in how quickly the system responds i went back and tryed xp for 3 days used all the tweaks the guides said to and it was still slower even with everything dissabled

went back to 2k to see what the difrances where and was shocked 2k is nice and responcive dispite the extra 7-10 seconds to load (like that matters since xp has to load all the vxd's after its up and running causing slowdowns

basickly for it its eather 2k or 2k3 only reasion i have bounced around on the other os's is that i finly got my new vid card and wanted to give the system a clean start and figuared i would mess around for a few days

i got a whoping 213 point dif from xp to 2k in 3dmark 2k1se havent run it under 2k3 yet i will do that later

the lovely thing about 2k is theres nothing to dissable nothing i HAVE TO turn off or on to get decent performance/responcivness

i know some will ask for menches showing that 2k/xp/2k3 have difrant scores i dont even like/trust 3dmark or any synthetic bench programs becouse there just that synthetic meaning not real world tests

i can FEEL the difrance as well as SEE the difrance yeah im sure you will say its all in my head but ur wrong its not in my head becouse i have tested this with people who didnt even know what so they where on and didnt even know what an os was stick 2k3 on there system set it up to look like xp and let them play with it they wanted to know what i did to make the system so much faster and smoother then it was

well gotta run have fun flipin me ****

Glowstick    3

Oy! Spell meister is back!

And there goes the placebo madness!

dougkinzinger    0

It's time for me to again say that, as a member of the Windows 2003 isn't a workstation alliance, that Windows 2003 isn't a workstation.

And, I want to know if all the 2003 users --- are you planning to rebuild your PC again after the 180-day time limit is up??

Oh wait, that's right--you all STOLE Server 2003.

My bad.

Winston    0

for f*uck sakes, install a copy of windows xp turn off every single networking component service, and just use that installation for games, it will fly like crazy, windows 2003 is a little fast because the services are tweaked, all the irrelevant services are disabled

Pink Floyd    15

you got it right dougkinzinger

most of ppl saying here i got xp and 2k3 server, then they prolly have illegal copy and there is no 180 days.

as simple as that

now for the dude that trying to run games on server:

go for it, but dont complain for incompatibility, how to configure your game that wont prolly work because of some system dlls. or even if your server crash.

ITS A SERVER! Xp might be slower but you wont have problem runing the game because of dlls or incompatibility

Glowstick    3

XP and Win2k3 share the same TCP/IP stack and are derived of the same development codebase. A game server DOES NOT NEED THE SERVER VERSION OF WINDOWS AT ALL!!!!!!! It works as fine and as fast on XP as on 2k3, which means there's absolutely NO REASON TO USE WIN2K3 FOR A GAME SERVER!!!!! All this retarded reasoning to use the server are just ghey excuses to get someone to tell you how to make games run on your warezed Windows.

DOCa Cola    0
And, I want to know if all the 2003 users --- are you planning to rebuild your PC again after the 180-day time limit is up??

Oh wait, that's right--you all STOLE Server 2003.

yea, some people don't configure their os that far so that not a problem to just reinstall and load all settings from saved registry files etc. it ist just for that we can use an os for free, right?

DOCa Cola

dougkinzinger    0

Glad we're all in agreement; it's encouraging to read! :D

Orkar    0

WHY OOOH WHY WOULD ANYONE EVER WANT TO PLAY GAMES ON A SERVER PLATFORM!?!?!?

Probably because he/she/it wants to brag to their friends!!!

PF Prophet    0

people use 2k3 for menny reasions mainly becouse its new

funny thing i havent seen any missing dll's in 2k3 and only 1 game i have wouldnt run (bf1942) but thats a game issue it has done the same thing on 2k so cant say its a server thing

there was to have been a pro version of 2k3 but it was cut out thanks to companys complaning about having to upgrade there workstation os agin (some companys dont get that u can stick with 2k pro and be just fine till 2007)

xp is bloated becouse its got **** i never use as well as alot of lagacy code and no even with every single service dissabled its not as fast as 2k3 with all the services enabled(the ones u dissabled in xp) i think the extra dev time is what xp really needed so do the dev's thats why the next service pack is gonna be replacing alot of the os(least thats what im hearing)

i know doug and some others will say use xp dont pirat 2k3 funny u say that to sombody that u think is a pirat why would they NOT pirat xp if they are pirating 2k3 ?????

for that matter i would bet they probbly pirated 2k and even 9x

grow the f up and stop bitching about people using server as a workstation its there choice they can do what they like if you see the word game in the title of the thred then dont even read it if you dont think it should be used for gaming

let your silance be your statment insted of just being a troll trying to start fights as often as possable

or are you a child who just needs to feel big and important by telling everybody to only use it as a server???

dougkinzinger    0
there was? to have been a pro version of 2k3 but it was cut out thanks to companys complaning about having to upgrade there workstation os agin (some companys dont get that u can stick with 2k pro and be just fine till 2007)

No dude, there wasn't. I was a beta tester--I know. Originally, Server 2003 and Windows XP were supposed to be released at the same time. Since that didn't happen, they obviously worked on it some more.

The rumors you're hearing about "Pro 2003" are referring to Windows XP versions for 64-bit workstations. Never, though, did it use 2003-based code; which is why MS quickly removed all references from their site. Dude--don't say stuff that isn't true, man.