Games in Win2k3

Hello everyone.I just went through all the posts of this topic.My main comments:

1. Anyone has the right to do whatever pleases him most.If he decides to install W2k3 and start playing games,HE'S ACTUALLY FREE TO DO IT.He's also the right to seek help if they're other people who have already done this.Neowin site,publishes a well written guide (also in .pdf) HOW TO MAKE W2K3 WORK AS WORKSTATION.Based on this guide EVERYONE has the right to discuss the topics included....and yes .... gaming in W2k3 IS included.The fact that this guide is often updated,shows that people not only read it,but actually USE it.I did use it myself.It's a pity that MS didn't make a guide or a TECHNET topic, and I think it'd be a good idea.

2. For those that are flamming others about licencies and copyrights:

You licenced users,did u get ANY email regarding Blaster Worm from MS , informing you IN TIME and BEFORE any WWW huge spread, what and how to do it?NO? How come?You DID pay and you DID got the MS licence.MS didn't mention anything to simple home/office users.NO help or support , as that promised when you bought XP (for example,not mentioning previous vers. of MS OSs).Only big companies and corporations got some info and support.The simple user stayed out of this.I live in Greece.I run an greek WinXP Pro greek vers. with licence.NO-ONE helped.What's so special about licence then?My advice: get a copy (winXP/W2k3) , try it and IF IT SUITS you (work/fun/games) buy it.Then post a topic in such a forum FREELY and WHATEVER you need.

3. Users , such as Tom Servo, are somehow right and wrong.Sure, if someone doesn't have the licence for an OS shouldn't use it.Thank god, Linux is still out there.He's wrong on flamming posters and wanna-be-Win2k3-users,asking for help regarding games.What if someone wants to make a project with help of 3D grafics on his Win2k3 OS and sharing it with the pcs of his network (home/office etc).NO-ONE gives the authority, at least not this board to behave in such a matter with users of this board.Such actions only make users go-away from this site,making low traffic,less publicity,less income from adverts sited in this site.Dear "Tom Servo" and associates, go-on and make your own forum concerning the "No-Win2k3-as-Workstation-thing" .You are FREE to do it.BUT:

keep out of these topics IN THIS FORUM , if you don't agree with that.

Here in Greece we say :

"Don't throw your cigarretes in the WC.We don't p**s in your ash-tray"

PS: I have nothing personal with you , Tom Servo .You just don't know the word democracy.I know my history well.I know what this word means.Probably you and your associates don't.

PS2: If any adm of this forum could make a separate section regarding Win2k3 and extras(gaming/tweaking etc) please do so , otherwise such flamming will continue.

Thank you all for your attention.

:yes:

Hmm quite the ballsy first post isn't that? Oh and you did get something to combat the blaster virus and its variants from Microsoft for owning a liscensed copy of its software... it's called WindowsUpdate and there was a patch for the vulnerability a month before it happend. ;)

Edited by StaTiKMaT

StaTiKMaT , It's like this if we are talking about an english vers. of WinXP.I mentioned it before:

"I run an greek WinXP Pro greek vers. with licence"

Nothing was published on time for GR vers.

i dont know why this bugs me so much but just as an fyi

flame

adding an -ing to the end makes it FLAMING

not flamming. <--- rhymes with spamming

dictionary.com

flaming - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=flaming

flamming - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=flamming

Edited by Spyder

StaTiKMaT , It's like this if we are talking about an english vers. of WinXP.I mentioned it before:

"I run an greek WinXP Pro greek vers. with licence"

Nothing was published on time for GR vers.

Kind of hard to believe that Micrsoft would close a known security hole in the english version only. I just can't see them taking over a month to make a patch, whether it was for an international version of windows or not the code changes couldn't be that dissimilar. That beside the point this thread has nothing to do with whether or not you feel you should be able to pirate MS software or not.

Ok Spyder, :)

Sorry for that.No more "flamming".Hope i use it right in my next topic.

;)

lol its just me being anal. i swear this is the only spelling thing that ever bothers me. i dont know why either :unsure:

welcome to neowin :D

is it possible to dual boot b/n xpro and server 2k3?

and if so, how does that work?

you can do it. Just install XP then 2k3. The duel boot option menu will come up before the OS starts to load to ask what you want to load into. That's how I've got a machine setup here and it works fine.

INstalling XP first then Win2003 is the recommended way. Install the latest OS last. This way, you will get a Boot option menu and can select which OS to boot to.

To the funny morons whom still feel as though they are the Morality Police, when XP came out, ppl acquired it illegally, so whats the difference here when or if they acquire it illegally or legally and use Win2003 as a workstation? Is easy to convert and have the same features as XP if you wish, yes even System Restore.

So in hindsight, STF'KingHU

INstalling XP first then Win2003 is the recommended way. Install the latest OS last. This way, you will get a Boot option menu and can select which OS to boot to.

To the funny morons whom still feel as though they are the Morality Police, when XP came out, ppl acquired it illegally, so whats the difference here when or if they acquire it illegally and use Win2003 as a workstation? Is easy to convert and have the same features as XP if you wish, yes even System Restore.

So in hindsight, STF'KingHU

Exactly, well said! :cool:

I just laugh at all those people that say "Derrr!!! It's a SERVER not a WORKSTATION!!!!"..... some of them even have it in their sigs.

;)

Its just the fact people are being tards in the fact they pirate it, then ask how to play games on it. Thats just my irritation about it. In the end, I dont care.

But you see, your comment doesnt make sense.

Ppl can acquire a evaluation version of it, that last 180 days or get it other ways legit.

Even if they did get it illegally, so what?

Ppl aquired XP illegally and had issues with XP havent they? Yes. Now whats the difference of people getting Win2003 legally/illegally and having issues with it?

This is a forum, to help if someone if they need assistance no matter WHAT OS THEY USE.

Its just the fact people are being tards in the fact they pirate it, then ask how to play games on it. Thats just my irritation about it. In the end, I dont care.

Boo hoo!

Are you Microsoft? Why do you care?

On a similar note: I've got a fully licensed version of Windows XP Professional. But you know what? I simply wanted to avoid WPA. So, I downloaded the corporate VLK version of XP Professional and installed that instead.

Will Microsoft really give a damn? (Checks Magic Eight-Ball) My sources say no. :no:

Boo hoo!

Are you Microsoft? Why do you care?

On a similar note: I've got a fully licensed version of Windows XP Professional. But you know what? I simply wanted to avoid WPA. So, I downloaded the corporate VLK version of XP Professional and installed that instead.

Will Microsoft really give a damn? (Checks Magic Eight-Ball) My sources say no. :no:

Your response to his post shows that you completely did not understand his point.

Does it really matter if someone wants to run 2K3 as a regular workstation ?

In fact, if you host a lot of games, and need VPN support, with Windows 2000 and XP

you are SOL after one connection. I know you can set up SSH and such, but as far as

simplicity, Setting up 2000 Server or 2003 is the way to go.

So, yes, there is about the only reason I can see for wanting to play games on 2003,

unless you are setting it up truly as a server, and then just set it up as a firewall, and connect

to the machine through your network, as everyone else uses the VPN option.

I have worked with both, still work with both, as well as NT4 and 2000. I prefer running

a workstation OS on my desktop, and leave the server OS for the server. But, that is

me, not everyone has more than one machine, so to run it, and allow for multiple VPN

connections in, yes, you need to be able to tweak it for Games to run on it.

XP = Win2K for newbs

XP = Win2K for newbs? What crack have you been smoking? Making that statement made you sound stupid enough.... I won't even need to say anything more.

LOL, I've made the switch, no more XP, and I don't even have the 2k3 interface nor the XP interface, I have a nice clean running, Longhorm skin pasted over 2k3. The system is set up as both a server running DNS, DHCP and Active Directory, and it is also being used as, get this, a PC, not a workstation as I do more than work on it, I also play GAMES. Smoother, quicker, and more security than XP.

3D Mark 2001 SE scores: XP = 5400 2k3 = 5460 and I still haven't added all of the tweaks to the registry yet, like clearing out the Page file at shut down, setting the L2 cache to 256KB (T-Bred core Athlon XP), disableing Services. I recon that as soon as I finish those tweaks I should be able to increase my 3D Mark scores by quite a bit.

Why did I do it??? Because I could, I know what I am doing, I was given a free copy of 2k3 and I needed a legit OS on my computer. It makes a good PC OS and as long as you know what you are doing and aren't afraid of BIG changes, why not try it.

I agree with using 2k3 if you utilize its server properties; I had considered doing likewise for a while, but now on my college network it wouldnt' be good for me to be running a domain server. I take issue with the people who run it as just a workstation, utilizing none of its extra functionality because it "feels faster and more stable." If you spend 30 minutes configuring XP you get the same results, with none of the compatibility issues.

XP/2003 , XP/2003 , ...

What about 2000 ? If you want a VERY stable OS thats hella fast then choose Windows 2000 Professional.

XP = Win2K for newbs

lol please, you are obviously the newb. XP is far faster than 2k, and there's no reason to use 2k over XP, i.e. there's nothing 2k has that XP doesn't; the reverse is not true. And anyone who says they use 2k "because it's more stable because they have more service packs" (yes, I've heard that) needs to be jacked with a sock full of pennies...what do you think, they fixed the bugs in those service packs for 2k, but left them in XP? Please. In addition, good luck using hyperthreading on your "non-newb" OS.

It's time for me to again say that, as a member of the Windows 2003 isn't a workstation alliance, that Windows 2003 isn't a workstation.

And, I want to know if all the 2003 users --- are you planning to rebuild your PC again after the 180-day time limit is up??

Oh wait, that's right--you all STOLE Server 2003.

My bad.

How do I join this alliance, I've been preaching it for a while.

I agree with saint dark when is someone going to show use some benchmark pix. I this its all psychological and these people think 2k3 is that much more stable and faster for games. Because if it really was better then why do you see all these posts on how to change it to make it play games and work w/ workstation hardware. I've never used 2k3 because I don't have the need for a server. I remember when 2k3 came out and everyone just "had" to have it cuz it was newer. I bet if Billy named it Windows Server 2k3 you wouldn't have all these ppl trying to change it into a workstation.

How do I join this alliance, I've been preaching it for a while.

Just add the term "Member of the "Windows 2003 isn't a workstation" Alliance" in your sig and your in :)

silly_walk I think put it in his sig first as a joke, but there has been a lot of people who have "joined"

"I agree with using 2k3 if you utilize its server properties; I had considered doing likewise for a while, but now on my college network it wouldnt' be good for me to be running a domain server. I take issue with the people who run it as just a workstation, utilizing none of its extra functionality because it "feels faster and more stable." If you spend 30 minutes configuring XP you get the same results, with none of the compatibility issues."

LOL yeah 30min to makexp work simlar to how i set 2k3 up in less then 5 min humm i will take the extra 25min and install some games

gotta agree that XP=2k for ideots all those wizzards and **** oh and i dont give a rats ass about hyperthreding i dont use intel :D

as one of my friends put it along time ago xp="my first windows" or "teletubby windows"

people who use xp and say its better then 2k are on crack thats like saying ME was better then 98se

oh and so u know check the number of confermed/reported bugs for 2k and xp 2k has far less since sp4 then xp dose fully patched

xp has some neet ideas in it but the implamintation is flawed IMHO they fixed most of the little things that bugged me with 2k3

i know you probbly love ur eyecandy so u cant take the thought of using 2k becouse its so...."primitive"and"ulgy"

really all those skins/theims and graphical "enhancments" dont make the os any better they just make it more fun for those that have to have there mac looking enterface