Games in Win2k3

Jason
There was a 95C? Never knew that. Got out of 95 as soon as I could.

Same here I jumped to NT4 as soon as it was out for home and obviously work.

darkmark327
Oh come on now... I actually preferred playing games with Windows 2000 Server...

And what's wrong with 98SE?? Besides memory management, it's a very good OS for our old-school games;))... I have a partition w/ 98SE just for CivI, System Shock, Descent, etc:))

Yeah, except for that whole thing about being an unstable POS.

System resources, ha!

Fatal exception error, ha!

etc.

All the non NT OSs sucked

Unstable? I think I may have crashed 3 times in the 3 years I used 95/98. Although -- before SE, 98 was crap (and before 95C, 95 was crap). 3.1/3.11 need not apply...

I've crashed about 10 times with XP, 0 with 2000 though.

It's not always the OS, sometimes it's the user (or what the user downloads:blush:

Then you obviously didn't run programs. It wasn't anything that one did with it, it would just go for no apparent reason, and good luck keeping more than a few hours of uptime.

John
There was a 95C? Never knew that. Got out of 95 as soon as I could.

there was a D version of win95 actually... but by then, win98 was around so it was kinda pointless...

Statikk
there was a D version of win95 actually... but by then, win98 was around so it was kinda pointless...

Wow... didn't know that. What was the major difference between C and D?

Prelude76
if someone is gonna be playin with 2k3 they should be aware that much more advanced tweaking is required to get it running for gaming the same as XP

I dont plan on getting involved in this big geekfest smackdown about "win2K3 NOT a workstation!" arguement. basically, if you used it, great, if you dont, great. who f*king cares what someone else uses.

i just want to throw my 2 cents in to this comment. by default, Win2k3 has a lot more disabled than winXP. and all you really have to do to enable 'gaming' on win2k3 is to push graphics slider to full hardware acceleration. how is this excatly considered 'advanced tweaking?'. Advanced tweaking would be closer to describing how to permanently get rid of Windows Messenger from XP, editing the sysoc.inf file. or how to disable services in XP (not really needed as win2k3 has most of the annoying ones already disabled). or explaining how to enable a dozen tweaks in XP just to get the speed to be the same as Win2k3 out of the box.

so stop the FUD and explain what you meant by 'advanced tweaking' is required in win2k3?

Prelude76
the attitude given off by the neowin community on this topic seems to force users to go elsewhere to ask their questions. its unfortunate its like that.

Bravo! i couldnt have said it better myself.

i too a few months back asked a win2k3 for gaming question at neowin and got verbally flogged by everyone, even by the silly mods. so i google my questions and found other more informative forums and helpful win2k3 -> workstation sites. now, i'm running win2k3 and it hasnt crashed yet and just flies and runs every game i threw at it. so all you XP fanboys, just relax, have some decaf, and try win2k3 out for yourself. you'll see the difference, just as EVERYONE who ever did saw increased performance and stability.

shifts

Just wondered how accurate these tests are to say that one is faster than the other

Surely if you have been using Xp for a while and it's had no end of stuff put on there it's going to be a little slower than any normal fresh install of an OS.

Has anyone done a speed test on an out of the box blank installation and then run the same marks on each test?

As for the whole "its a server thing" :rolleyes: True its just a server but someone just asked a question, not whether or not it was made for it, just if they could and what would it be like.

Prelude76

haven't done any tests myself, but some have done 3DMark test and win2k3 edged out XP. since both OSes are built on pretty much the same base, it more or less boils down to "if it uses less resources, more resources are available to applications, ergo vis-a-vis concordinly its faster". (i love that mtv matrix spoof :D)

out-of-the-box, XP chews up about 130mb RAM (total of all processes running). with average tweaking, you can usually get it to 95-100mb, and with severe tweaking perhaps 80, but only if you disable AV or Firewall. win2003 server ran on about 85mb RAM out of the box, and with a bit of tweaking, i have it chugging along at a mere 70mb RAM, and thats with both F-Prot AV and Kerio Firewall running. Win2000 can even go lower than both; i've had win2k use only 53mb RAM with both firewall and AV running.

now unless you still have a meager 256mb system ram, those numbers dont really matter, but it goes without saying that the less RAM your OS uses, the more RAM is available for applications, therefore giving it a bit of oomph that is noticeable.

p.s. - also, the boot-up speeds of win2k3 remind me of Windows 3.1 days. :shifty:

darkmark327
I dont plan on getting involved in this big geekfest smackdown about "win2K3 NOT a workstation!" arguement. basically, if you used it, great, if you dont, great. who f*king cares what someone else uses.

i just want to throw my 2 cents in to this comment. by default, Win2k3 has a lot more disabled than winXP. and all you really have to do to enable 'gaming' on win2k3 is to push graphics slider to full hardware acceleration. how is this excatly considered 'advanced tweaking?'. Advanced tweaking would be closer to describing how to permanently get rid of Windows Messenger from XP, editing the sysoc.inf file. or how to disable services in XP (not really needed as win2k3 has most of the annoying ones already disabled). or explaining how to enable a dozen tweaks in XP just to get the speed to be the same as Win2k3 out of the box.

so stop the FUD and explain what you meant by 'advanced tweaking' is required in win2k3?

If it were as easy as you claim this (and the myriad other threads like it) wouldn't exist.

Prelude76
If it were as easy as you claim this (and the myriad other threads like it) wouldn't exist.

such threads exist because of n00bs that dont know where HARDWARE ACCLERATION and DirectX settings are. but this thread was about gaming and performance of gaming compared to XP, yet everyone STILL responds as if the question was "Help! I can't get 3D games to work on win2k3!"

darkmark327

The question was "2k3's better for gaming, right?"

and the overwhelming response was "NO"

Prelude76
The question was "2k3's better for gaming, right?"

and the overwhelming response was "NO"

wrong again.. the overwhelming response was "win2003 is not a workstation, you n00b!" :rolleyes:

not very helpful at all, is it?

~phoenix~
I dont plan on getting involved in this big geekfest smackdown about "win2K3 NOT a workstation!" arguement.  basically, if you used it, great, if you dont, great.  who f*king cares what someone else uses.

Ohh everyone can use this thread for entertainment or for educational reasons.

Its also a chance to test the mental situation so to know if its time for the doctor again.

For some people was also the chance to work together for a common purpose.

Some people expressed here their deepest unacknowledged thoughts and desires that wasnt expressed for years and years...For some was the chance to being mennnn....to start relationships...alliances...friendships...Some learned that u cant play games in w2k3---that ofcource its not true,becuz u just need 5 min of your life to spend it for that purpose.

whatever is the reason of the existance of this thread i think its the time for little tenderness and especially some boyzzz might need a extra piece( tenderness)of it.

Maybe some wanted simple to say.

"Hey i have a legal copy of this OS and U dont,so get lost from here poor bas**d freak "

Frank
I dont plan on getting involved in this big geekfest smackdown about "win2K3 NOT a workstation!" arguement.? basically, if you used it, great, if you dont, great.? who f*king cares what someone else uses.

Ohh everyone can use this thread for entertainment or for educational reasons.

Its also a chance to test the mental situation so to know if its time for the doctor again.

For some people was also the chance to work together for a common purpose.

Some people expressed here their deepest unacknowledged thoughts and desires that wasnt expressed for years and years...For some was the chance to being mennnn....to start relationships...alliances...friendships...Some learned that u cant play games in w2k3---that ofcource its not true,becuz u just need 5 min of your life to spend it for that purpose.

whatever is the reason of the existance of this thread i think its the time for little tenderness and especially some boyzzz might need a extra piece( tenderness)of it.

Maybe some wanted simple to say.

"Hey i have a legal copy of this OS and U dont,so get lost from here poor bas**d freak "

OK phoenix I think we have told you this before..... put down the crack pipe

~phoenix~
OK phoenix I think we have told you this before..... put down the crack pipe

Ohhh u look prety sure about that.

You have to know(recognise) the symptoms.

Personal experience,may i guess?

darkmark327

That's idiotic reasoning, if doctors had to actually have every disease in order to recognize its symptoms, you'd have a hard time finding a physician, old chap.

Statikk

That's idiotic reasoning, if doctors had to actually have every disease in order to recognize its symptoms, you'd have a hard time finding a physician, old chap.

:rofl: :rofl:

dougkinzinger

I'm just posting again so you can see the last line of my sig.

SimplyPotatoes

:D :D :D :D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Xantos

Wholly flamewars of hell Batman! to the noobcave robin!......

am i the only one that thinks this post is getting a little dreary :wacko:

as to gaming in win2k3... yes it can be done, has been done, etc etc...

but to as if it offers better performance.. thats for those of you who want to try it find out

there the little thing called evaluation kit at microsoft download it and try it

instead of asking the question here and becoming a flamsicle..

as to personal experience i find win2k3 to be better/faster for my day to day activities

but it smost likely on a per-user basis so... to each his own

Joel
I'm just posting again so you can see the last line of my sig.

:whistle:

Garrett Socling

Since I am a 2k3 noob (having never installed the timedemo disk that M$ sent me) are you guys suggesting that I install it and play some games and come here complaining that they don't work?

The thought hadn't crossed my mind..but I think (now) I am going to dig out that CD...

;)

G

Joel
Since I am a 2k3 noob (having never installed the timedemo disk that M$ sent me) are you guys suggesting that I install it and play some games and come here complaining that they don't work?

G

God no, spend the time learning about the good stuff instead. Designing a network and watching your design work is fun. And I'm not being facetious.

Prelude76

G

God no, spend the time learning about the good stuff instead. Designing a network and watching your design work is fun. And I'm not being facetious.

let's see, on one hand, build a network and bask in the glory of your data packets, pings, and IPs. on other hand, play Halo and kick some alien buttz. :alien:

tough call there. :geek: