Games in Win2k3

Frank
Since I am a 2k3 noob (having never installed the timedemo disk that M$ sent me) are you guys suggesting that I install it and play some games and come here complaining that they don't work?

G

God no, spend the time learning about the good stuff instead. Designing a network and watching your design work is fun. And I'm not being facetious.

let's see, on one hand, build a network and bask in the glory of your data packets, pings, and IPs. on other hand, play Halo and kick some alien buttz. :alien:

tough call there. :geek:

umm..... networks consist of more then one PC. So he can effectively do both :). Run Windows 2K3 as a SERVER, and run halo on Windows XP.

Joel
Since I am a 2k3 noob (having never installed the timedemo disk that M$ sent me) are you guys suggesting that I install it and play some games and come here complaining that they don't work?

G

God no, spend the time learning about the good stuff instead. Designing a network and watching your design work is fun. And I'm not being facetious.

let's see, on one hand, build a network and bask in the glory of your data packets, pings, and IPs. on other hand, play Halo and kick some alien buttz. :alien:

tough call there. :geek:

I guess learning is not your strong suit, then.

Garrett Socling

Heck, I'd be happy if I could just figure out Samba and Win XP to the point where I didn't have to have google running for reference...strike that, I'd just be happy to fully understand Windows XP and its own networking 'joy'.

G

EDIT : Here at the shop :

internet - cable modem - router - 1 comp - (bridge to wireless) - comp

^ - hub - lots of cat5 - hub - comp

^- my comp

got the hardware part figured out...of course its the software config thats tricky...

Joel
Heck, I'd be happy if I could just figure out Samba and Win XP to the point where I didn't have to have google running for reference...strike that, I'd just be happy to fully understand Windows XP and its own networking 'joy'.

G

Google should be built in, I agree. :D

Prelude76
I guess learning is not your strong suit, then.

on the contrary, my dear Watson. LEARNING how to best utilize my shot gun and rocket launcher is my forte. :shifty:

rezza
Wholly flamewars of hell Batman! to the noobcave robin!......

:rofl: hehehe ;)

As i said before, if everybody used things only as they were meant to be used, nobody would do anything different. Nobody would be using non-microsoft msstyles

(

"Mummy mummy why can't I use unsigned XP themes?"

"Because Windows XP wasn't designed to use unsigned themes! Thats why! Now go to your room and do as you're told!"

)

"Skinning" as a whole would never have started out (people wouldn't have started hacking their own bitmaps into the original WinAmp, because it "wasn't designed for that")

This is supposed to be a forum where people come for help. If all they get when they ask for help is "2K3 ISN'T A WORKSTATION, N00B!!!11!1!!" then do you think they are going to ever rise above n00bdom? Or shall they be eternally doomed by all you sad motherf*ckers sitting on your f*cking high horses being all smug about how "cool" it is to knock people for trying to use 2k3. Shame on you all. You are a stain on the reputation of Neowin. How can you sleep at night? Don't expect anything nice from santa this xmas.

;)

PF Prophet

rezza exectly what i think of this sh!t

i use it as a workstation and it works grate it dosnt bother me that it was designed to be more stable and have better mem managment so that it would work better as a server

the reasion they couldnt put out xp server was becouse xp wasnt stable enough and has issues with cirten things :/

2k3 has isses with some older apps or poorly programed games/programs but thats find i hardly play/use any really old appsmuch prefer using newer stuff

i have said it b4 and i will say it agin they need to put another section to the os boards/forums for 2k3 as a workstation

and if people didnt use things for other then there orignal offical perpous we wouldnt have computer gaming becouse the first computers where TOOL's only never ment for games same is true for first pc's workstations and server not game machiens

but since the day or mud's net hack DOOM and other such games where programed for home computers things have changed alot the market is acctuly driven by games for if we didnt have games home pc's wouldnt be in the gz now no point a k6-2 550 can run office just as well as a 3.2gz computer may not load as fast but hey whats an extra 10 sec really

the computer market is driven by games and gamers so why call all who wana use 2k3 as a workstation/game box nOObZ they may be but they could just be asking becouse they eather got this trial and dont really need to know how to make a server OR they may wana play games on there server

or they could be like me and have a full version thats leigal from msdn,beta,school(i have a buddy thats got all 3 versions from his uni at 10$ each)

all this flaming and accusing people of being evil and bad for playing games on 2k3 needs to stop think if they dont wana make another section they could at least repromand @zzholz for trolling in posts about it as a workstation

Garrett Socling

I think a 2k3 as a workstation would be a great idea for a forum catagory!

G

fjv
This is supposed to be a forum where people come for help. If all they get when they ask for help is "2K3 ISN'T A WORKSTATION, N00B!!!11!1!!" then do you think they are going to ever rise above n00bdom? Or shall they be eternally doomed by all you sad motherf*ckers sitting on your f*cking high horses being all smug about how "cool" it is to knock people for trying to use 2k3. Shame on you all. You are a stain on the reputation of Neowin. How can you sleep at night? Don't expect anything nice from santa this xmas.

;)

It is soooo hard to be l33t these days... now every kid knows how to super h4ck into someones computer :cry:

someday, there wont be any n00bs... therefore there wont be any l33ts like us :no: :no: :no:

:huh: :unsure: :whistle: :rofl:

fjv

darkmark327
(

"Because Windows XP wasn't designed to use unsigned themes! Thats why! Now go to your room and do as you're told!"

)

That's different...it doesn't cause things not to work and thus spawn the legions of threads like this one.

Statikk
rezza  exectly what i think of this sh!t

i use it as a workstation and it works grate  it dosnt bother me that it was designed to be more stable and have better mem managment so that it would work better as a server

the reasion they couldnt put out xp server was becouse xp wasnt stable enough  and has issues with cirten things :/

2k3 has isses with some older apps or poorly programed games/programs  but thats find  i hardly play/use any really old appsmuch prefer using newer stuff

i have said it b4 and i will say it agin they need to put another section to the os boards/forums  for 2k3 as a workstation

and if people didnt use things for other then there orignal offical perpous  we wouldnt have computer gaming becouse the first computers where TOOL's only never ment for games  same is true for first pc's  workstations and server not game machiens

but since the day or mud's  net hack  DOOM and other such games where programed for home computers things have changed alot  the market is acctuly driven by games  for if we didnt have games home pc's wouldnt be in the gz now  no point  a k6-2 550 can run office just as well as a 3.2gz computer  may not load as fast but hey whats an extra 10 sec really

the computer market is driven by games and gamers  so why call all who wana use 2k3 as a workstation/game box  nOObZ  they may be  but they could just be asking becouse they eather got this trial and dont really need to know how to make a server OR they may wana play games on there server

or they could be like me and have a full version thats leigal from msdn,beta,school(i have a buddy thats got all 3 versions from his uni at 10$ each)

all this flaming and accusing people of being evil and bad for playing games on 2k3 needs to stop  think if they dont wana make another section they could at least repromand @zzholz for trolling in posts about it as a workstation

If you want anyone to take your posts seriously then please attempt to spell the easy words right. If you even looked like you were trying to spell properly more people would actually care to read/understand your posts. I would personally just not post at all if I wasn't going to at least put a small effort into spelling/grammar.

darkmark327

I still wouldn't bother to take his posts seriously

uniacidz

Man, you people still at it.

Sheeeeeeeesh.

SunnyB

Windows Server 2003 plays games just fine if you take the time to install the things that are necessary and disable some of the things that are not.

A good place to start is here. <a href='http://www.<< spam >>/win2k3/' target='_blank'>How to convert your windows Server 2003 to a workstation</a>

If you want to install and use W2K3 as a workstation, fine. Do it. It doesn't matter if it was not designed as a workstation. Just do it.

If you can afford to pay for it then you can do whatever you want with it, including playing games, watching movies or even using it as a "server" heaven forbid. :woot:

<EDIT> Apparently I can't say or write the name of that other forum but you know who I mean. Shhhhhh M-S-F-N </EDIT>

~phoenix~
So Windows 2003 Professional turned out to be a pipe dream, faster than we could get used to the idea being a reality it was played down/denied by Microsoft and all the knowledge base articles were removed to be corrected. It turned out to be an oversight. Well, we aren't ones togive up so easily at Neowin, so we have put together a guide that turns Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition into what we would rather call Windows 2003 Professional.

Why, I hear you scream? Well, there?s only one simple answer for that, because we can.b>

Source Neowin guide.

uniacidz
So Windows 2003 Professional turned out to be a pipe dream, faster than we could get used to the idea being a reality it was played down/denied by Microsoft and all the knowledge base articles were removed to be corrected. It turned out to be an oversight. Well, we aren't ones togive up so easily at Neowin, so we have put together a guide that turns Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition into what we would rather call Windows 2003 Professional.

Why, I hear you scream? Well, there?s only one simple answer for that, because we can.b>

Source Neowin guide.

Exactly

Neowin has a guide made up for this, yet the members here say its not meant to be used as a workstation.

Ironic isnt it.

BananaMan
rezza exectly what i think of this sh!t

the reasion they couldnt put out xp server was becouse xp wasnt stable enough and has issues with cirten things :/

2k3 has isses with some older apps or poorly programed games/programs but thats find i hardly play/use any really old appsmuch prefer using newer stuff

XP and 2k3 use partically the same kernel, with a lot of legacy compatibility stuff stripped out of the OS. Win 2k3 IS the server flavour of XP, just with a different name.

Garrett Socling

Well, I am currently writing this on 2k3 Server...

I like it. It is a lot peppier on this old machine (500Mhz cele, 160MB).

I am going to probably remove most of the MS crap, maybe leave file sharing in and play around with that.

Got Trillian, Firebird, Thunderbird and OpenOffice...they run ok, and faster than WinXP did...I call that a workstation baby :)

Now...why is Dx9b listed in the windows updates? What is Dx doing in 2k3 server? I would have expected that to be pulled, considering that most servers you don't even bother allocating dedicated monitors, much less run DirectX apps on...

Unless 2k3 server renders the desktop with Dx9? I sure don't know. I always thought that Dx was only for 3D stuff, but I am probably wrong eh?

WinXP Pro is a gaudy slow bloated joke compared to this. They should have made a 2k3 workstation...except they would have to charge less (would people really pay to have M$ cut the BS out of their products?) and it wouldn't require a new generation of hardware to run...this is not feeding into the cycle of perpetual consumption...so no go for Microsoft I guess...

Sorry for not contributing anything worthwhile...I am going to go uninstall and disable the bloat in my 2k3 workstation...

G

Prelude76
If you want anyone to take your posts seriously then please attempt to spell the easy words right. If you even looked like you were trying to spell properly more people would actually care to read/understand your posts. I would personally just not post at all if I wasn't going to at least put a small effort into spelling/grammar.

oh for f*k's sake, we be rezorting to "wah wah wah, you kant spell rite!!". ok, this thread has sunk to an all-time forum low :x get wit dee times, dude. making "you kant spell" krackpots is so 1990's. here, have a cookie for your troublez. :geek:

darkmark327

It goes beyond simple spelling errors, his posts are incoherent and illegible...it's easier to read Faulkner

rezza
(

)

That's different...it doesn't cause things not to work and thus spawn the legions of threads like this one.

There have been at least as many threads about people not getting their uxthemes patched properly or people having problems with styleXP/wb as there have been ones about games not working in 2k3. Yet for some reason people don't jump all over those threads quite as badly... /me senses some despicable double standards, and from long-time members, no less. Tsk tsk.

QuaKeD

Win2k3 Server works much better than XP in my machine... I have a 2600 with 1 gig ram, and things are much smoother in the win2k3...

I even play Neverwinternights in it :)

PS: Oh, yes, before I get treated by a n00b (sic), let me tell you that i've been using Windows NT 3.51 server as a workstation in my 486, and it was much more stable: I could record a CD and do something else. Sure, that might sound silly now, but remember that NT 3.51 was at the same time that Windows 3.1. So I've been in the server-things for a while now.

Windows servers will always be better and more optimized. You have the hardware (and the money) to run it? Great, install it, learn how to configure (read and learn what you are doing, don't use a workstation guide with 1-2-3 steps), and enjoy the servers world.

Let the flame begin.

Edited by QuaKeD
darkmark327
(

)

There have been at least as many threads about people not getting their uxthemes patched properly or people having problems with styleXP/wb as there have been ones about games not working in 2k3. Yet for some reason people don't jump all over those threads quite as badly... /me senses some despicable double standards, and from long-time members, no less. Tsk tsk.

I didn't know there were that many threads about uxtheme...I didn't realize people were challenged by "boot into safe mode, replace uxtheme.dll, reboot"

Edit: I did a search, and it looks like 80% of the posts about uxtheme are about getting it to work in 2k3...

SunnyB

I wish you folks would just make a sticky about using W2K3 as a workstation.

I have the eval version installed and can run anything that WinXP will run but I don't.

One reason is that WinXP gives a slightly better bench than W2K3 with identical

settings. Memory bandwidth, CPU arithmetic, multimedia, everything is slightly

faster on WinXP.

After getting all the services disabled and ports closed just like in WinXP,

you will find that XP is better for games and everyday usage.

Go on and try it then when the novelty wears off, go back to WinXP.

~phoenix~
it's easier to read Faulkner

Actually this is William Faulkners thread.

And for those who dont know his writing style,Faulkner break his first thought into many branches so it is almost impossible to remember his first thought.Just like this one.

U hit my sensitive nerve heredarkmarkm8,so i forgive u for all u said for me.LOL.

But yes u can transform this OS who is dedicated for server reasons to a game station or to whatever u like.Is possible, i m sure everyone agree with that.The only problem is the licence.

But this is another discussion,right?Which i dont have any problem to start and participate with possitive comments.