Problem with 3D TV and PS3

Hey everyone,

I am having a weird problem. I just got a 60" LED 3D Samsung HDTV, and it works great for playing back 3d content straight through it's built in software. I have my PS3/Xbox 360 hooked up through a Samsung receiver with HDMI in so that it can get the audio from the HDMI cables, then I just have one HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV.

What is frustrating though is every time the PS3 tries to play 3d content, it won't initially get a source through the receiver, it will say it has no input. I figured out a quick fix though, but it is kind of annoying. As soon as the PS3 asks to do 3D mode for a game I say yes, then it doesn't display- unplug the HDMI cable from the PS3 and hook it straight to the TV without going through the receiver- then I get the 3D picture, and all I have to do is hook the cables back up the way they were through the receiver and it will work as long as I leave everything on.

If I try to do any 3D content withough unplugging cables after everything is off it doesn't work though. I thought initially it was old version HDMI cables, but I just bought brand new category 2 cables and it is still having the same problem.

Any ideas?

My bet is on the receiver. What you are describing is classic example of a handshaking problem. Somewhere in the handshake process one of your components is not handling the requests properly, and from experience, my money is on the receiver being the culprit. It just may have issues with the 3D signal.

I found this page, perhaps it could be of some help, I am sharing it right away without reading it all, so not sure.

So not sure if there is much of anything you can do based on my experience, but I am very interested in seeing what the responses in this thread wind up being, as perhaps I will learn something useful.

Wish I had a better take on the whole situation, but again perhaps I am wrong. Good luck.

Hey everyone,

I am having a weird problem. I just got a 60" LED 3D Samsung HDTV, and it works great for playing back 3d content straight through it's built in software. I have my PS3/Xbox 360 hooked up through a Samsung receiver with HDMI in so that it can get the audio from the HDMI cables, then I just have one HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV.

What is frustrating though is every time the PS3 tries to play 3d content, it won't initially get a source through the receiver, it will say it has no input. I figured out a quick fix though, but it is kind of annoying. As soon as the PS3 asks to do 3D mode for a game I say yes, then it doesn't display- unplug the HDMI cable from the PS3 and hook it straight to the TV without going through the receiver- then I get the 3D picture, and all I have to do is hook the cables back up the way they were through the receiver and it will work as long as I leave everything on.

If I try to do any 3D content withough unplugging cables after everything is off it doesn't work though. I thought initially it was old version HDMI cables, but I just bought brand new category 2 cables and it is still having the same problem.

Any ideas?

Can you give us the model of your receiver? Do you know if your receiver is "3d compliant" basically meaning that its advertised as 3d ready? 3d is tricky when its not going directly to the 3d source. I know I cant put a 3d bluray into my bluray player until after my 3d projector is turned on otherwise it doesnt "detect" a 3d source.

I have a samsung av-r730. It detects a 3d source through it but when it goes to make the image 3D it will either drop the video output to the tv, or the tv will say it is 3D, but it won't be- the glasses will just look dark through the right eye.

I have a samsung av-r730. It detects a 3d source through it but when it goes to make the image 3D it will either drop the video output to the tv, or the tv will say it is 3D, but it won't be- the glasses will just look dark through the right eye.

It's the reciever. For 3D right now, best option is to have the device directly hooked into the TV. It is still in its infancy and has many many issues. I haven't trusted a "3D ready" reciever yet :p

I bought a new receiver today and it works fine with the 3D, however unlike my old Samsung receiver, it will not output HDMI and Digital Audio at the same time, it's either one or the other- which seems a little backwards to me. Will new Yamaha or HK receivers do this?

I dropped the Samsung receiver after a bit of research and found that just because my TV is Samsung doesnt mean my receiver should be. I ended up getting a Yamaha RX-v571BL and wow it does EVERYTHING i ever wanted. The button layout on the controller is fantastic and intuitive, it has an on screen display control panel, awesome sound quality, does any video input with any audio output, and does analog to hdmi video output and can upscale it to 1080p to boot! (oh yeah, and it fixes my 3d issue as well lol) I should have looked for a different receiver a long time ago!

Thanks for the insight and advice guys! :)