Wachowskis

cloudatlas.jpg

Thanks to the ongoing 2012 Cannes Film Festival, we now have an update on perhaps the most daring, big-budgeted sci-fi film on the horizon: the adaptation of David Mitchell?s acclaimed novel Cloud Atlas, as directed by the triumvirate of Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) and Matrix creators Andy and Lana Wachowski.

The Premise is: Six stories set in a different time and place become intricately related to each other.

Warner Bros. heads have reportedly approved the directors? hefty final cut of the film ? which clocks in at about 2 hours and 44 minutes. Moreover, the studio has tentative plans to release Cloud Atlas in theaters on December 6th, 2012, so as to qualify the prestigious picture for this year?s Oscars.

As reported by Indiewire, Warner Bros. originally passed on Cloud Atlas after balking at the projected $170 million price tag. (Due partly to memories of Speed Racer, no doubt.) Thereafter, the Wachowskis and Tykwer managed to collect the necessary funding to move forward from overseas financiers ? somewhere in the order of $101 million ? and snagged a great cast that includes A-listers like Tom Hanks, who gave up his customary $20 million + salary to help lower costs.

Speaking of the Cloud Atlas cast: big names such as Hanks, Susan Sarandon, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving, Keith David, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant, Jim Sturges and Ben Whishaw are all tackling multiple roles in the film. The logic behind this unorthodox maneuver is to better reflect the theme of interconnectivity across time, space, and even ethnicity, as featured through the six separate narrative threads found in Mitchell?s original book (and now, this film adaptation). Hence, we will get to see someone like Grant play multiple characters ? varying from a 19th-century gentlemen to a futuristic cannibal dwelling in the Hawaiian mountaintops.

http://screenrant.com/cloud-atlas-movie-release-date-sandy-172662/

• 2 months later...

It has Tom Hanks in multiple roles, including a post-apocolyptic island Tom Hanks aka he might have a volleyball he talks to...(no he doesn't)

Also, wow. Not to go off topic on the movie, but I'm gonna miss saying "The Wachowski Brothers" now that Larry is now Lana. I have no problems with that, except her teeth look really bad. Maybe she got punched in the face to many times by Hugo Weaving?

Oh, and the 5+ minute trailer is amazing. Epic looking for sure, but I just love the music also. Plus, gotta give this trio credit. It's like Watchmen. No one ever thought Cloud Atlas could be made into a movie like Watchmen, and there we go, here it is.

What's up with Hanks?

He cant act his way out of a paper bag. He always do the same role: the clumsy but noble character. Even when he play as the villian.

His only outstanding performance was in Philadelphia, and that's because Jonathan Demme really knew how to squeeze great performances out of average actors (See Hopkins, Anthony and Foster, Jodi... sorry, I know I will get a lot of heat for this, but just think, what else have they do as good as this?)

Interesting movie and if it's from the creators of The Matrix it's definitely a must see for me!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He cant act his way out of a paper bag. He always do the same role: the clumsy but noble character. Even when he play as the villian.

His only outstanding performance was in Philadelphia, and that's because Jonathan Demme really knew how to squeeze great performances out of average actors (See Hopkins, Anthony and Foster, Jodi... sorry, I know I will get a lot of heat for this, but just think, what else have they do as good as this?)

I don't think you understand what good acting is. I mean, you're welcome to your opinion. But I think Tom Hanks is a pretty good actor. The fact that you think Jodi Foster is an average actress seems to support my claim.

• 2 weeks later...