Reminiscing Neowin

Back at school, used to login when the teachers wern't looking and browse the forum for any new skins/hacks/tricks that I could do. Run into problems, Neowin had the solution. You have come a long way now, things have changed. Miss the good ol Neowin :(

(p.s nothing wrong with the new, just miss the good days)

post-86531-0-48675900-1337737810_thumb.p

• Like 5

Wow yeah I am reminiscing back to when I started here too... I wonder how long Neowin will go for *ponders*

2001 Neowin :laugh: - I prefer that logo.

Love the use of tables, if a website nowadays did that it would be ripped apart. Back then people would turn a blind eye to it.

As one of the older members who also used to be on staff for a while I've witnessed all of the ups and downs Neowin has gone through. Truthfully, there have been more ups than downs. What has changed?

• The front page news has improved a lot. The 'Where unprofessional journalism looks better' tag line doesn't really apply anymore.
  • The forums, while still active, are relatively quiet compared to just a few years ago. The reasons why are an entirely different debate.
  • The OS customisation scene has almost died out, which contributes to the point above. Back in the heyday of Windows XP I would check daily for new visual styles and whatnot, in what used to be among the most frequented sub-fora on here. Nowadays it's mostly dead.
  • Many active users have come and gone. Sadly, the number of those leaving (voluntarily as well as involuntarily) outweighs the number of new active users.

Am I pining for the good old days? No, I enjoy Neowin as it is today, and am looking forward to how it will evolve over the next twelve years.

As one of the older members who also used to be on staff for a while I've witnessed all of the ups and downs Neowin has gone through. Truthfully, there have been more ups than downs. What has changed?

• The front page news has improved a lot. The 'Where unprofessional journalism looks better' tag line doesn't really apply anymore.
  • The forums, while still active, are relatively quiet compared to just a few years ago. The reasons why are an entirely different debate.
  • The OS customisation scene has almost died out, which contributes to the point above. Back in the heyday of Windows XP I would check daily for new visual styles and whatnot, in what used to be among the most frequented sub-fora on here. Nowadays it's mostly dead.
  • Many active users have come and gone. Sadly, the number of those leaving (voluntarily as well as involuntarily) outweighs the number of new active users.

Am I pining for the good old days? No, I enjoy Neowin as it is today, and am looking forward to how it will evolve over the next twelve years.

Thanks for the comments :) But anything we need to do to improve forum activity, I'm all ears! We're also trying to do more "From the Forums" features, for every 1000 views the featured forum topic gets, maybe a few will stay :p

Unfortunately that seems to be a trend across all forums in the traditional sense. They're just losing popularity...

Unfortunately that seems to be a trend across all forums in the traditional sense. They're just losing popularity...

Sure, but there have to be more reasons than that trend why activity on here is so much lower than just one or two years ago. I've started a poll thread to find out why: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1079069-why-are-you-less-active-than-you-used-to-on-the-neowin-forums/ - let's see what kind of debate it will result in. If any.

• Like 2

My most humerous memory if this site is about the user "The Pink Panther". Threads such as:

Eating people

How he'd kill himself if his mother ever saw him naked

How he is supremely intelligent, and everyone just loves to missunderstand him.

I'd love to see how he's grown up. It's made me so nostalgic I may change my sig :)

Wow... Nostalgic indeed.

NostaWin! :D

Feels good man...

I miss when the source for articles was a dedicated link and not embedded inline into the article.

Hell, you can do both, but I don't particularly like this seeking for the source (which I like to do often before reading the article)

Glassed Silver:mac

Wow... Nostalgic indeed.

NostaWin! :D

Feels good man...

I miss when the source for articles was a dedicated link and not embedded inline into the article.

Hell, you can do both, but I don't particularly like this seeking for the source (which I like to do often before reading the article)

Glassed Silver:mac

I miss the dedicated source link :(

• Like 1

I dont post or visit much as like most said i came for the latest leaked windows and underground news. Now i get the feeling its very strict and a lot like the BBC news as in too professional and not community based. I feel at home were you can talk freely about whatever and so the like of reddit is better suited.

I dont post or visit much as like most said i came for the latest leaked windows and underground news. Now i get the feeling its very strict and a lot like the BBC news as in too professional and not community based. I feel at home were you can talk freely about whatever and so the like of reddit is better suited.

I agree Neowin is quite strict, plenty of times I see topics deleted for no real reason and no explanation is given which is frustrating. I think the main reason for this is the more kid friendly it is the wider the audience I guess.

Reddit is pretty awesome but it also seems a bit chaotic at times so its good to come here for some calmness.

• Like 1