Why are you less active than you used to on the Neowin forums?

659 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you less active than you used to on the Neowin forums, or what prevents you from being more active?

• I'm more active on social networks these days.
    • Technical aspects - e.g. downtimes, design
    • Moderation is too lax.
    • Moderation is too strict.
    • Staff member x is shouldn't be on staff. I'm not coming back until (s)he is demoted.
    • Member y should be on staff. I'm not coming back until (s)he is promoted.
    • Flamewars, fanbois, constant personal attacks
    • Topic x I used to be interested in is hardly discussed anymore. (e.g. OS customisation)
    • Too much discussion of non-technical topics.
    • Too much focus on technical topics.
    • The attitude of certain members of staff.
    • The attitude of certain community members.
    • Who needs the forums? I prefer Neowin IRC.
    • I have a life away from the internet.

There are periods where I stay away from Neowin for a couple weeks at a time. Generally speaking I read internet forums to entertain me and it's not really entertaining when I click on a thread that looks like it would be entertaining and somehow it turns into a "Republicans are stupid!" "No, Democrats are stupid!", "If Obama had a son he'd look like ...", or "Your world view/belief system which has no impact on my life in any way whatsoever offends me because I don't have enough real problems that I could be focusing on so I'm going to demonize and belittle you and everyone like you." or "See? People from X country are all stupid." - It's not relaxing, and as has been pointed out previously people aren't as helpful as they used to be when a problem arises. I think I originally found Neowin because I was having tech problems. I've found that when you report bigotry, country bashing, and general flaming to the mod staff it's met with a general lack of interest - It's been quite awhile since I've actually seen a thread that moves off topic have all the negative posts purged. I'm pretty sure it's about time for one of those extended vacations from Neowin again.

To reiterate: Too much flaming, too much bigotry, not enough tech talk.

To reiterate: Too much flaming, too much bigotry, not enough tech talk.

I totally agree with this. I think the entire issue boils down to this one statement. We've let things go too far.

I still read the news every day, and comment where i feel i can contribute something that has not been said already.

A lot of the posters who made the forums interesting to read for me in the gamers hangout have long since left Neowin.

Its the constant personal attacks that make the forums less appealing to me now, yes i have never been a massive poster however i feel even less inclined to post now.

A recent example of this here... fails to understand my posts so im dumb, great attitude. it annoys me how people just go for personal attacks because you both have two different view points... maybe its just me, however I don't remember the forums been like this in the past.

fanboys tend to get more aggressive as a new OS release approaches or has reached milestones, then after release the vibes tone down after a couple months.... unless some major service pack was issued or something that broke things, then fanboys are at it again... I learned to ignore it. I was in the trenches and defensive and getting fired up, now I just sit back and ROFL at em! I often facepalm as well.

• Like 1

The Fanboyism is why I don't post often, not that I was a big poster to start with. For example in Apple news you start reading the thread and its only a matter of moments before the flame wars or stupid comments start like Apple Sucks and then the arguments after that. it's actually quite hard to keep a conversation on track when that starts happening.

I still come here every day to check the front page, but I rarely post. Partly because I don't game any more and partly because it feels like less of a community than it used to.

I can't really put my finger on why that is, maybe it's become a bit too diluted. I mean does a technology site really need a forum dedicated to discussing conspiracy theories and UFO's? I have nothing against HUM either, but I think 90% of his/her posts could be considered spam, there are many widely known websites that are dedicated to news stories and I think Neowin should not try to cater to everyone and instead specify more in what it does best, technology.

The other possibility is that I'm now 8 years older than I was when I joined and have become old and bitter, haha. :)

Personal attacks and too much childish behavior, people pick whatever they want from your post and tell you to kill yourself and psychopath. Its annoying that no one bothers to read whole thread and bash you for the half post.

Bashing doesn't bother me. If it did, I would have been gone a LONG time ago. I say, Don't hate it, embrace, enjoy and have fun with it! I figure that if the worst that happens to me in life, is someone calls me a "Name" on the interweb, i'm doing pretty good!

• Like 1

The Fanboyism is why I don't post often, not that I was a big poster to start with. For example in Apple news you start reading the thread and its only a matter of moments before the flame wars or stupid comments start like Apple Sucks and then the arguments after that. it's actually quite hard to keep a conversation on track when that starts happening.

Try being in ANY Microsoft thread.

Bashing doesn't bother me. If it did, I would have been gone a LONG time ago. I say, Don't hate it, embrace, enjoy and have fun with it! I figure that if the worst that happens to me in life, is someone calls me a "Name" on the interweb, i'm doing pretty good!

Problem is im not used to "go kill yourself" lines, specially when people who dint even read the whole thread are saying this. Its really annoying. :(

• Like 1

Problem is im not used to "go kill yourself" lines, specially when people who dint even read the whole thread are saying this. Its really annoying. :(

I always thought the correct response to "Go kill Yourself" is "You first!"

• Like 1

If people are saying that sort of stuff, you should report the posts to a moderator. I agree that those kinds of comments are out of line :/

• Like 1

I've never really been active on the forums... I've been here since 2002 and I still haven't hit 1,000 posts. I've actually been a lot less active lately including reading the forum because of work and spending the weekends at my girlfriends place.

Still like the site though.

Random comments:

1. Lt-DavidW would run those Mafia games. Does anyone remember the Neowin mafia? That was fun.

2. Someone complained about Hum disappearing after someone else said he should be a mod. Many people disappear. Hum has a higher "like post" level than Neobond (no offence, Neobond, just something I noticed as I've got you both down as friends and saw the numbers when looking for Lt-DavidW... as I couldn't remember whether he was a lieutenant or captain).

3. I got into Facebook and then Google+, but now I find it interesting to return to traditional forums, including Neowin. Are there others out there tired of Facebook? It's great for some things, I guess.

4. I liked Shift Linux and being on that team (and we had the coolest ever badges). That kind of project was really helpful in getting people excited and involved. For what I learned there, I'm always going to be thankful to the Neowin community. I'm hoping that the recent interest in reviving that will come to something.

5. I think this is a great site, and I have heaps of respect for Neobond, Barney, Laura, Rappy, Calum, and the others. I don't personally see any problems with the moderation and running of the site. I never have.

6. Sometimes people leave, and that can be a problem. Mark Jensen was always one of my favourite posters. I remember that I'd always rush to read his posts first thing!

7. Some really clever bloke noted that the "like this" button probably accounted for lots of lost potential posts to the site. I think there's some truth to that!

That's my lucky 7.

• Like 1

I am trying to get back into posting more. My real world life has slowed down a bit and I find after being away for months that I don't let stuff bother me like I did at one time.