Geoff Keighley confirms Wii U won

Not being as casual as kids games and party games doesn't make them core games. There are degrees of casual, and you can't call a game not casual because it isn't wii sports.

That's like saying an FPS game isn't a core game unless it's ARMA./Flashpoint.

If you still think Metroid Prime 3 and Xenoblade are for the casuals, I still suggest you re-examine your outlook on the industry.

While I agree with you, MP3 and -definitely- Xenoblade are not casual at all, I can't even begin to think how you think they are. Nintendo have a more healthier line up of casual games compared to the rest, but they still have a diverse portfolio and likewise, while there are degrees of casual, you can't call a game "not core" because it isn't Disgaea or Metal Gear Solid. There are also varying degrees of core - SMG2 is a game that appeals to the core platforming fans while still being an attractive game to the casual audience.

• 3 months later...

Specs and performance are great and everything, but the following sentence is going to hurt Nintendo the very most.. and it's all due to timing.. that sentence is..

"I'm not getting the Wii-U because I'm going to buy the Playstation 4 when it comes out."

Or.. even more damaging...

"I'm not getting the Wii-U because I'm going to buy the Xbox 720 when it comes out next year."

Sega did EXACTLY the same thing Nintendo is doing when Sega released the Dreamcast, everyone liked it, but the PS2 blew it away. So I honestly think it's going to come down to this...

Everyone is going to like the Nintendo Wii-U, but the PS4/Xbox 720 is going to blow it away, and steal sales.

Everyone is going to like the Nintendo Wii-U, but the PS4/Xbox 720 is going to blow it away, and steal sales.

So? In this day and age, how many console users don't buy multiple systems?

As for ZombiU, it does look good...it's a shame that it's by Ubisoft.

Specs and performance are great and everything, but the following sentence is going to hurt Nintendo the very most.. and it's all due to timing.. that sentence is..

"I'm not getting the Wii-U because I'm going to buy the Playstation 4 when it comes out."

"I'm not getting the Wii-U because I'm going to buy the Xbox 720 when it comes out next year."

Sega did EXACTLY the same thing Nintendo is doing when Sega released the Dreamcast, everyone liked it, but the PS2 blew it away. So I honestly think it's going to come down to this...

Microsoft did it too with the 360, and it worked out brilliantly. Sega's failure was due to a number of factors. They panicked when Sony announced the PlayStation, and its price, and totally screwed up the Saturn, instead of just sticking to what they had designed. They then abandoned it way too quickly. The Dreamcast was good, but they bailed out too quickly there as well (the PS2 actually wasn't doing all that well for the first couple years on the market). Had they not screwed the pooch with the Saturn, and/or not given up so quickly on the Dreamcast, they'd have been fine.

Nintendo also has plenty of cash reserves, and they don't sell anything as a loss leader. They might not dominate the market ever again, but that doesn't mean they won't continue to turn a profit more often than not, even if it means having to cut their profit margins by implementing a price cut like with the 3DS.

So? In this day and age, how many console users don't buy multiple systems?

As for ZombiU, it does look good...it's a shame that it's by Ubisoft.

That's a good point, and is also relevant in the smartphone and tablet wars.

I quite agree. I saw the price and thought WTF Ninendo? Didn't you learn from the 3DS. On the other hand, I won't wait for the 720 or PS4 either, as I fully expect them to be more expensive.

the price is rather good for the systems $299 for the 8gb basic set why is that good wel the fact you cad 32gb more storage via SD card then top it off with 4x any size external usb HDDs so 4x 3TB HDDs ad-ons so yea it is good priced .

It's Epic. I would not take anything from those guys seriously. Just remember when Mark Rein acted as a xbox 360 salesman in an interview a couple of years ago. He was doing the interview with 2 other guys from the video game market. There was a guy from Obsidian i think and another one from a company i can't remember. The guy from obsidian was clearly not confortable with the way Mark Rein acted lol.

Like SkyDX said a good engine is supposed to scale. There's not doubt in my mind that the Wii U will be les powerful than the next XBox and PS. It will probably be somewhere between a PS3/360 and the next gen. But a good next gen engine should be able to scale to Wii U level of power.

Current consoles have been around for a long time. Nintendo will benefit from the need for new hardware up until the release of the PS4 and next-gen Xbox. I'm sure people will continue to buy the Wii U well after the release of Sony and Microsoft's next-gen consoles.

It's Epic. I would not take anything from those guys seriously. Just remember when Mark Rein acted as a xbox 360 salesman in an interview a couple of years ago. He was doing the interview with 2 other guys from the video game market. There was a guy from Obsidian i think and another one from a company i can't remember. The guy from obsidian was clearly not confortable with the way Mark Rein acted lol.

Like SkyDX said a good engine is supposed to scale. There's not doubt in my mind that the Wii U will be les powerful than the next XBox and PS. It will probably be somewhere between a PS3/360 and the next gen. But a good next gen engine should be able to scale to Wii U level of power.

Unreal Engine 4 will be able to scale to low-end PC hardware so there's no doubt it can run on Wii U hardware. It's not a question of capability but one of portability. It's up to Epic Games to port Unreal Engine 4 to the Wii U.

Sega failed mainly cause they did not support their hardwares long enough. Notably the Saturn. The reason why i did not buy a Dreamcast when it came out was not because of the Playstation 2 or Gamecube (both was close to 2 years away from release or maybe more) It's because i was affraid Sega would not support it properly like they did with the Saturn.

Nintendo had and still has a reputation for supporting its hardware.

Personally i think NIntendo should come back to what it used to be and makes games with outstading gfx. But i can't blame them to not fight Microsoft in a gfx quality war. Cause at this war Nintendo will lose. Microsoft will always invest a little bit more to have the best gfx. And nintendo can't really afford to lose much money on every consoles sold. They don't have a cash cow like Windows.

the price is rather good for the systems $299 for the 8gb basic set why is that good wel the fact you cad 32gb more storage via SD card then top it off with 4x any size external usb HDDs so 4x 3TB HDDs ad-ons so yea it is good priced .

Not really. When the Wii came out it was $250, up against a $600 PS3 and a $400 basic Xbox 360 (there they benefitted from not being first to market with that generation).

When the Wii U comes out, it'll be $300, up against $250 for the PS3 and $200 for the Xbox 360 ($300 for the Kinect Bundle). And both the PS3 and 360 have way more titles than the Wii U will at launch, and tons of games at less than $10.

If you're someone who just has a PS2 and/or a Wii, the Wii U doesn't make much sense to buy. If you're in the US you could get a Kindle Fire HD for cheaper, and a bunch of games at sub-$10 prices.

If you don't have a PS3 or 360, either makes more sense to buy than the Wii U right now. If you do have a PS3 or 360, then it makes sense to keep using it until the Wii U is cheaper (or see what Sony and Microsoft have in store for the next generation).

The only person the Wii U makes sense for is someone who has significant disposable income (in this economy, not likely) and absolutely must have all the newest toys. That's a different situation from the Wii, which offered something new and interesting AND was cheaper. So if you were on a budget, the Wii was the system to buy. If you're on a budget now, the 360 is the system to buy.

Not really. When the Wii came out it was $250, up against a $600 PS3 and a $400 basic Xbox 360 (there they benefitted from not being first to market with that generation).

When the Wii U comes out, it'll be $300, up against $250 for the PS3 and $200 for the Xbox 360 ($300 for the Kinect Bundle). And both the PS3 and 360 have way more titles than the Wii U will at launch, and tons of games at less than $10.

Back then you could have said the Wii was also competing with the PS2 which had pretty much the same power and was selling for a lot cheaper. Yet the Wii sold a lot of units (and I'm pretty sure a lot of people will be picking up WiiUs over PS3s and 360s)

It's easy to compare the timing this console is being released to the Dreamcast's, but it's hard to make predictions out of it, even with the price being announced.

At the same time this console is not quite a Wii because it does not offer mechanics that ate truly unique anymore compared to its other 2 competitors.

But it's not a Dreamcast either simply because it is Nintendo and that no matter what, they will still attract a certain playerbase, especially since this time they're gambling with their home console and not a handheld.

I think for sure Nintendo will sell less than they did the Wii. There's a definite potential that they come in 3rd again, as Sony's PS4 strategy seems to have learned from what they did wrong with the PS3 and they're actually going back to what they had for the PS1, and MS will probably keep doing what they did well.

In WHAT world did Nintendo come in third this generation?

http://en.wikipedia....sales_figures_6

software sales most probably. IIRC they had the lowest attachment rates.

Nintendo will always have a special place in my heart. I remember holding my moms hand and looking at the stacked boxed of 'Nintendo Entertainment System" in the isle; and as kids do, I asked for one. Before I know it I was back home running Mario through various landscapes and shooting Ducks from the sky as my loyal companion retrieved them.

As far as modern consoles, they are but glorified PCs. Internet connection, Hard Drive, DLC -- sorry, I just want to pop my game in and play what I bought, I want a real console; I already own a PC.

What are you replying to? He already said it had the highest system sales, BUT it also had by far the lowest attach rate.

true still tho the Wii is one of Nintendos most successful systems and i think the Wii U will as well. i do feel that there will be some people who may just buy it just for Nintendo TVii assuming Nintendo properly adverts it

If the Wii U is more powerful than the 360/PS3 now, is that not what is expected? It's going to be released at least a year before the next generation of MS/Sony console is released, so I would expect it to be less powerful than them due to the timing differences.

It's expected to be released a year before, yes. But, the WiiU has 2gb of ram, Durango has 8gb of ram...