Apple's WWDC 2012 event

If I recall they did the same thing last year didn't they? Talked about iOS5 during the WWDC and didn't release the iPhone4s until what October?

That might be the most exciting thing. Though if Apple is not revealing anything iPhone 5 related whats the point to do it now when they can do that with the announcement of the new iphone?

If I recall they did the same thing last year didn't they? Talked about iOS5 during the WWDC and didn't release the iPhone4s until what October?

WWDC - World Wide Developers Conference

It's to prepare them for new APIs, let them check their app compatibility with the new iOS beta, etc...

It's to ensure that many of your apps are good to go on your release day iPhone.

Glassed Silver:mac

Anyone else think we might see iTunes 11?

I sure hope so...

I want to finally be able to read books in iTunes...

Or even more important:

Auto-Synching with Mac applications through a central iTunes API.

Like Bento... I don't want business data going through iCloud or something, nor does every dev want to support iCloud synching or I just don't want to clog up my 5GB so quick.

WLAN sync per app is awful.

I want automation!

And hell, give my iWork '12...

It's especially ridiculous how iWork for iOS lets me save to iCloud and... uhm...

How do I retrieve it on my Mac?

Exactly... I have to "EXPORT" it in iTunes and have no sync back.

Oh yeah... I could also mail it to myself... *yawn*

Glassed Silver:mac

Apple has stuff to say about :

- MacBook Pros (Design + Components upgrade)

- MacBook Airs (Components upgrade)

- Apple Cinema Display (Retina Display)

- Mac Minis (Casual Upgrade)

- iMacs (Components Upgrade)

- Mac Pros (Components Upgrade)

- OS X Mountain Lion

- iOS 6 (New Maps App, Revamped Siri, iCloud, ?)

- Next-gen iPhone (Design Upgrade with Bigger Screen, Speed Bump, etc.)

- Apple TV (Siri Integration)

- iCloud (Will be included amongst previous points)

- Siri (Out of beta, New hooks and APIs that Developers will be able to use)

- iTunes 11 (100% Cocoa)

- iWork '12

Since this is a Developers Conference, my bet is on :

- Mac Pros

- OS X 10.8

- iOS 6

- Siri

Looking forward to an iOS 6 preview.

Something that I thought of earlier this morning: I recall seeing a patent describing face unlocking for the iPad. Whether or not face unlocking will happen isn't really important, but rather if iOS will finally support a multiuser environment. If they made the iPad essentially a standalone computer starting with iOS 5's independence from iTunes, they should take it a step further and better fit in the iPad as a family-friendly device. I'd prefer my mail accounts and Facebook login to remain separate and hidden from view if and when my parents poke at it.

If this will happen then it should be iPad-only as iPhones and maybe iPod touches are obviously single-user devices. The problem then is dealing with the entire collection of apps in the App Store written with the assumption that there is only one user, "mobile," that exists in iOS. Easiest fix would be the OS keeping application installs in the existing /var/mobile/Applications/APPID folder, and for each user to have its own APPID/Documents folder. Each user could also have all app binaries and resources be symbolic links to the originals in /var/mobile/Applications/APPID so that there is no wasted space; also an easy way to keep certain apps hidden from specific users.

A second concern is dealing with notifications appearing on a lock screen; perhaps there could be per-user sections in the lockscreen. And finally, would it be possible to have multiple users logged in at once, or have one user signed in at a time?

I gave my old MacBook Air to a friend in anticipation of new ones with Retina Displays being released at or shortly after WWDC. I really did like the 11'' form factor, but the resolution was smaller than I would have liked. The same size with a larger resolution would seal the deal for me.

I gave my old MacBook Air to a friend in anticipation of new ones with Retina Displays being released at or shortly after WWDC. I really did like the 11'' form factor, but the resolution was smaller than I would have liked. The same size with a larger resolution would seal the deal for me.

Not sure if I follow your logic here? If Apple releases a MacBook Air with Retina Display all interface elements need to be doubled so chances are you won't actually gain more workspace.

• Like 1

Not sure if I follow your logic here? If Apple releases a MacBook Air with Retina Display all interface elements need to be doubled so chances are you won't actually gain more workspace.

Yup, it would have the same physical dimensions, everything would take up the same space, they'd just be bigger and sharper. But I think he means a larger, non Retina resolution.

Perhaps, but I just want a larger resolution than what is currently possible. We'll see what happens soon, hopefully.

Perhaps, but I just want a larger resolution than what is currently possible. We'll see what happens soon, hopefully.

You don't come across as being very rational right now? :p

But I think he means a larger, non Retina resolution.

I gave my old MacBook Air to a friend in anticipation of new ones with Retina Displays being released at or shortly after WWDC.

;)

Eh, the guy needed the laptop more than I did, anyway. I was probably going to sell the Air regardless soon anyway, since I think I might want to go back to the Pro models, especially if they get the latest processors (Sandy Bridge? Ivy Bridge? I can't remember.)

ML is coming along really nice, too. I've been running the latest build full time on my iMac with no major issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit GM at WWDC or shortly after, perhaps early July, which would make it close to the one-year anniversary of Lion.

Just got my flight confirmation back from work so ill be at WWDC :) will try and keep you all posted on as much as im allowed to!

This discussion is dead, I?ll add a little spicy to it :

I think if new iMacs are to be released on June 11th, they won?t be part of the Keynote, but they will be released on Apple?s site and will be a small icon on the front page, just below their big marketing ad (OS X 10.8 side-to-side with iOS 6 maybe ?). Same with MacBook Pros. However, Mac Pros will definitely be part of the Keynote.

Also, they apparently want to re-do the entire iTunes Store and App Store with a whole new interactive interface. Maybe iTunes 11 isn?t too much to ask in the end ? Could be nice if it were built right into OS X 10.8.0.

Also, they apparently want to re-do the entire iTunes Store and App Store with a whole new interactive interface. Maybe iTunes 11 isn?t too much to ask in the end ? Could be nice if it were built right into OS X 10.8.0.

What are the chances of them releasing iTunes 11 to the public without iOS 6 being ready yet?

What are the chances of them releasing iTunes 11 to the public without iOS 6 being ready yet?

Pretty much the only chance we would see iTunes 11 released, is if its a requirement for the developer preview of iOS6 or something, and even then it won't be released to the public other than the devs

I really think Apple need to make some new commitment to the desktop market with some kind of new model or at least a proper ground-up reworking of something like the iMac. I really feel they've been coasting in that area for a while and just riding the tidal wave of iPhone and iPad sales.

• Like 1

Pretty much the only chance we would see iTunes 11 released, is if its a requirement for the developer preview of iOS6 or something, and even then it won't be released to the public other than the devs

Exactly.