Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

It does downgrade to Vista :whistle:

The Apathetic wrote-

LMFAO oh, Andrea, you are too much. It will not downgrade to Windows NT, he was being facetious.

I think she is right.Windows cannot downgrade itself to an ealier version of Windows unless you install it yourself. Andrea Borman.

That's what I thought. According to the Windows forums,when support ends for a version of Windows. All that happens is that you no longer receive updates from Microsoft. So if you are still running Windows 2000,example,where support ended it 2010,you cannot install updates. Or you no longer get updates for Windows 2000 from Windows update.

Although I don't know if you can manually download some of them from the Microsoft website. Andrea Borman.

I was joking, but I thought the whole EULA 3rd letter thing would have given the game away if the downgrade part had not already ;)

You can use an OS until the year 9999 if you like, when support ends it means only that, no support. It still works.

Can someone try this for me.

Open Snipping Tool, Snip a section of something white(ish) like this page > save the snip > open it in Windows Photo Viewer

Does it open with a strong yellow tint to it ? (Infact Windows Photo Viewer itself seems to be yellowish too)

This happens because you are experiencing a color issue (Usually with a Samsung).

Press Start -> and Search for "Color Management" on Settings.

Click on "Color Management" and click the "All profiles" tab. Delete Samsung's

BTW people, do you know if it's possible to bring back the Windows 7 Wireless Manager back to Windows 8? I hate to death that metro bar that chops 1/5th of the desktop

I wouldn't imagine there's an easy way to do it, and I agree that the new system is horrible.

I've run into a problem with the metro apps.

When nVidia released their 'beta' drivers for Win8 RP (302.80), I installed that version but had some problems with it. Still, I kept it for a couple more days. Then, I decided to downgrade to a less buggy, Win7 driver. That's when the 1st party metro apps just stopped working (I tried opening them, but they would sit at the loading screen for a couple of seconds, then they would trow me back to the Start Screen). I assumed it was because of the video driver so I reinstalled the 302.80 driver. Still, I experienced some problems and now not even the 3rd party apps would run. Just now I installed the 302.82 version of the driver, the WHQL certified one. It doesn't seem to have solved the issue either.

Oddly enough, Fruit Ninja works just fine.

Should I "Refresh My PC" ? Should I just wait and hope they'll just start working again?

Also, I seems I can't change which apps notify me and which don't. The items related to this option are simply not showing up in the Notifications area of the Metro Control Panel.

Maybe the solution is just in front of me and I'm too stupid to see it?

Uninstall all your apps and reboot your machine. Once back up and running, go into the Store, right-click, select Your Apps. Then select the apps you want to reinstall, I'd start off with the first party apps.

Once you've reinstalled them they should be working again.

For individual app notifications, try selecting from within the app itself. While in the app pull up Charms>Settings>Permissions... this is where you should see the option to turn on notifications for most apps.

this :

photo.jpg

Corrupt installation file I suggest you get a refreshed download and burn that.

Hmz how about No.

anyway Wifi and Airplane mode is awesome.. at first I had to disable my wifi prior putting a network cable in, now I can just put it on Airplane mode. safes me a lot of trouble :p

Yes the extra 10 seconds are now saved :p

I'm just glad I dont have a gazzillion apps on my desktop and it doesnt look like Windows XP anymore :p

Who'd ever wanted to go back to that outdated system must be outdated themselves.

Ofcourse If you're poor and cant afford Windows Vista/7/8 then Sure go have Windows XP.

And yes.. Windows XP is free on my systems because Its old :D

That's the exception rather than the rule. You must put your laptop in airplane mode on any flight that does not provide wifi. If your flight provides wifi, then yes, use it. But most flights - at least in this country - do not.

Airplane mode should disable all wireless technology such as bluetooth, radio tuners, cellular antennas, but it should still allow you to toggle wifi on and off.

That's one of the major reasons I am loving the new Start Screen. I can populate that with my apps and shortcuts instead of cluttering my desktop.

Corrupt installation file I suggest you get a refreshed download and burn that.

I got that recently with a Windows 7 install, its not the ISO problem or a HDD error, for me it was because I had put my Windows 7 Flash Drive into a USB 3.0 port and there were no drivers for USB 3.0 in setup

Took me a while to figure it out too

My Windows 8 RP fail:

App store says I have an update and when I go to update it says I have no apps needing updates.

:/

My Windows 8 RP fail:

App store says I have an update and when I go to update it says I have no apps needing updates.

Wasn't the store locked until release?

My Windows 8 RP fail:

Had the same the other day, 1 update but none to update, it went away after a while

Had the same the other day, 1 update but none to update, it went away after a while

Mine has been stuck like that for a couple days now.

My Windows 8 RP fail:

hehe...same here!

hehe...same here!

Do you have auto-update for apps on? It could just tell you and then automatically update them. :p

hehe...same here!

This has to do with a specific app getting stuck for some reason. For me, it was The Register. You can systematically uninstall apps until you see the marker (number) on the Store tile go away.

It's usually not a 1st party app that does this. So, make those the last you uninstall.

I'll trying uninstalling apps and see. I also love the fact that the AMazon Kindle app was on the main "Apps for Windows 8" spotlight and when I clicked on it to install it told me "this app is no longer available".

LOL. Thanks for advertising it to me....

^I've been stuck for days now with that annoying 'invisible' update. That's my punishment for not lurking on the forums for days now :laugh:

The Kindle app is the culprit on my system too :D

Mine has been stuck like that for a couple days now.

Turned my laptop on lastnight and the 1 update available was there again and was still there when I turned it off, so no mine's not gone either

I'll trying uninstalling apps and see. I also love the fact that the AMazon Kindle app was on the main "Apps for Windows 8" spotlight and when I clicked on it to install it told me "this app is no longer available".

MS/Devs will be making changes to the apps and the store over the next few weeks so I would imagine it will be a little flaky at least until we have RTM

MS/Devs will be making changes to the apps and the store over the next few weeks so I would imagine it will be a little flaky at least until we have RTM

Link ?

Same thing with the Accuweather app... it's gone now. It's advertised on the main page in the News & Weather section...