Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

so unsupported drivers can be the reason?

I'd say yeah, driver error would do it or hardware itself locked up. Like a HDD crapping out and locking up would do it or a video cards GPU giving out. Typically though with Windows new WDDM 1.x model at least if the graphics drivers do crash then they'll restart so as long as the hardware itself isn't the problem you'll just see the screen flicker (maybe drop out of Aero into basic) and then come back up after the driver restarts. More and more parts of Windows are now driven by hardware acceleration and stuff so any funky graphics drivers will probably give you these problems. Best to update to the newest drivers you can find and see if it changes.

I'd say yeah, driver error would do it or hardware itself locked up. Like a HDD crapping out and locking up would do it or a video cards GPU giving out. Typically though with Windows new WDDM 1.x model at least if the graphics drivers do crash then they'll restart so as long as the hardware itself isn't the problem you'll just see the screen flicker (maybe drop out of Aero into basic) and then come back up after the driver restarts. More and more parts of Windows are now driven by hardware acceleration and stuff so any funky graphics drivers will probably give you these problems. Best to update to the newest drivers you can find and see if it changes.

I don't have those problems when using Windows 7 so I guess I'll just dual boot but I'll try updating the drivers or maybe just use the ones provided by Win8 by default. Thanks, btw :)

I hate the fact that the Maps application manages to give me 0 results for EVERYTHING I search

How is this possible? Did Microsoft even remember there is a world beside the U.S?

so unsupported drivers can be the reason?

Can be, but more and more unlikely as MS is splitting the OS kernel up to prevent drivers from crashing the OS and moving drivers out of kernel and into user space. the biggest culprit, the VGA driver can rarely cause a BSOD anymore.

I hate the fact that the Maps application manages to give me 0 results for EVERYTHING I search

How is this possible? Did Microsoft even remember there is a world beside the U.S?

What are you searching for? I just Win-Q'ed Jakarta, Timbuktu and Picadilly Circus and it zoomed right to them.

Bing Maps seems to accept quite a few qualifiers. (i.e.: "Odessa Europe", "Avon UK")

What are you searching for? I just Win-Q'ed Jakarta, Timbuktu and Picadilly Circus and it zoomed right to them.

Bing Maps seems to accept quite a few qualifiers. (i.e.: "Odessa Europe", "Avon UK")

My street for exemple. Or even the main street of Lisbon (Avenida da Liberdade) failed to get any results.

Just tried searching for Picadilly, and it failed.

Something is wrong here.

Ok, so I have a question...

Personally I have no paricular like/dislike's for Windows 8 vs Windows 7. I get that things change. I understand both sides of the coin. My questions is this...

I don't just have a "few" applications I use. I don't have 10 or 20. I have HUNDREDS of applications. 20-30 difference racing simulation titles, other games, virtualization applications, networking tools, programming tools, Microsoft Office, etc etc etc etc etc.

So, having said that, in Windows 7 and prior to, with the Start Menu/button, I was able to sort through all of those quickly and Pin what I used most often, but could still quickly get to what I wanted because it was alphabetized in a sorted list. In Windows 8, as I install one application after another, I have hundreds, if not thousands of tiles now, page after page after page of useless garbage that is getting in the way of my productivity. I get that once I find an application I can Pin it, but I'm struggling with the efficiency of the Metro interface for someone that uses their PC the way I do.

So for those in the know, how do I...

1) Automatically sort the applications on the Metro UI.

2) or Automatically move newly installed/created box/icons to the first MetroUI page so i can find them easily.

3) Sort per application, like a folder. I have to be doing this wrong, but it would be nice if I could combine applications specific Metro boxes into a single box that I could highlight/hover and it would pop-out to that application box with those apps/links isolated.

4) Per 3, I have many applications that don't just install a single application link, but have many other, sometimes nested, applications links for other applications tools. (think Microsoft Office 2010).

I think you can see my dilema here. I want to be able to properly manage these in Windows 8. I get I may have to do it different then I did before, but what's really killing it for me right now is how poorly it manages older software that is expected a Start Menu folder to put something into. Even the Administrator Tools when enabled on the MetroUI spam the UI with 10-15 boxes. Would be nice to have 1 box, that when I hover or click on would pop out another mini UI that has JUST those apps/boxes in it.

Help!!!

Thanks!

Personally I have no paricular like/dislike's for Windows 8 vs Windows 7. I get that things change. I understand both sides of the coin. My questions is this...

I don't just have a "few" applications I use. I don't have 10 or 20. I have HUNDREDS of applications. 20-30 difference racing simulation titles, other games, virtualization applications, networking tools, programming tools, Microsoft Office, etc etc etc etc etc.

So, having said that, in Windows 7 and prior to, with the Start Menu/button, I was able to sort through all of those quickly and Pin what I used most often, but could still quickly get to what I wanted because it was alphabetized in a sorted list. In Windows 8, as I install one application after another, I have hundreds, if not thousands of tiles now, page after page after page of useless garbage that is getting in the way of my productivity. I get that once I find an application I can Pin it, but I'm struggling with the efficiency of the Metro interface for someone that uses their PC the way I do.

2) or Automatically move newly installed/created box/icons to the first MetroUI page so i can find them easily.

3) Sort per application, like a folder. I have to be doing this wrong, but it would be nice if I could combine applications specific Metro boxes into a single box that I could highlight/hover and it would pop-out to that application box with those apps/links isolated.

4) Per 3, I have many applications that don't just install a single application link, but have many other, sometimes nested, applications links for other applications tools. (think Microsoft Office 2010).

I think you can see my dilema here. I want to be able to properly manage these in Windows 8. I get I may have to do it different then I did before, but what's really killing it for me right now is how poorly it manages older software that is expected a Start Menu folder to put something into. Even the Administrator Tools when enabled on the MetroUI spam the UI with 10-15 boxes. Would be nice to have 1 box, that when I hover or click on would pop out another mini UI that has JUST those apps/boxes in it.

Help!!!

Thanks!

Windows 8 wasn't designed for you. It was designed for someone who lives on Facebook all day. So you should probably stick with "The Real Mans OS" Windows 7.

Honestly with that many used applications, the Start screen does in fact seem designed for him, since he can have them all pinned to the start screen, organized just as he wishes into named group. and to find all he can simply zoom out or to go all apps and have it all sorted alphabetically, with headers, and groups, just like the old start menu, just far more organized.

I thought i'd reserve my opinion until actually getting a feel of Windows 8 and trying it out. I'm quite disappointed with it after a few days of running it side by side with my Windows 7 machine. I'm pretty sure the longer I continue using Windows 8, the more I will come to dislike it. I don't expect a new OS to be exactly the same as its predecessor but Windows 8 feels like quite a big step backwards without offering much.

Some of the things i picked up on-

1) Just like in office, there was nothing wrong with explorer file menu. Ribbon over complicates things are looks fugly and ironically I stopped using office years ago partly because of this.

2) Metro and desktops don't go together. I want my machines to boot straight to my desktop. I don't want to waste time navigating through metro just to get into desktop.

3) Being the lazy person I am, I use start for all my program needs in Windows 7, just type whatever I need and viola there it is. In Windows 8 I hit the Windows key + F and search for whatever I need but wait, but I then need to click and define if my search is for an app or files (dont we already have file search in explorer, Computer->Search?)

4) Full screen music/video playback seriously? If I wanted a media centre i'd be using my PS3

TL;DR. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

2) Metro and desktops don't go together. I want my machines to boot straight to my desktop. I don't want to waste time navigating through metro just to get into desktop.

You'd rather waste time by first opening your email program... nope, no new emails. Then opening your calendar, nope nothing on calendar. Then opening weather... no rain today. It goes on and on. It streamlines tasks.

After checking these things, the next thing I would do on Windows 7 is open the start menu and search for Visual Studio or something like that. In Windows 8, I already have all the email, weather, calendar information and already have the start menu open.

So Windows 8 starts, I check info, type 'vi' and press enter and I'm being productive - not Facebooking. How long would it take me to do all that on Win7?

3) Being the lazy person I am, I use start for all my program needs in Windows 7, just type whatever I need and viola there it is. In Windows 8 I hit the Windows key + F and search for whatever I need but wait, but I then need to click and define if my search is for an app or files (dont we already have file search in explorer, Computer->Search?)

Just like in Windows 7, you can hit Windows key, and just start typing. It will search for apps. Hitting Windows key + F, then clicking on apps to search for apps is a silly procedure. If that's what you want, hit Windows key to search apps and Windows key + W to search settings. Windows key + F is just for searching for files.

4) Full screen music/video playback seriously? If I wanted a media centre i'd be using my PS3

Windows Media Player is still there, just like in Windows 7. And you can still install any media player you like, just like in Windows 7.

Help!!!

Thanks!

Ok, I'll try to hit everthing, but that's a lot to respond to.

1) Unpin tiles you don't neeed.

First, yes new software goes to the far right of the start screen. If you install lots of software, you will have lots of tiles. Any tiles you don't wait, unpin them. This will make it way more manageable.

2) Organize tiles into groups.

You can organize tiles into groups. Search for instruction how to do this, it's dead easy.

3) Name your tile groups.

Again, search for instructions if you don't know how.

4) Don't have an app pinned? Search for it. Open the start screen and just start typing.

5) Remember, the All Programs menu is still there, just like in Windows 7.

The All Programs menu in Windows 8 is also an alphabetically sorted list, just like in Windows 7.

In Windows 7, you could only pin a couple programs to your start menu. Today, in Windows 8, you have to option of pinning many many more.

You'd rather waste time by first opening your email program... nope, no new emails. Then opening your calendar, nope nothing on calendar. Then opening weather... no rain today. It goes on and on. It streamlines tasks.

After checking these things, the next thing I would do on Windows 7 is open the start menu and search for Visual Studio or something like that. In Windows 8, I already have all the email, weather, calendar information and already have the start menu open.

So Windows 8 starts, I check info, type 'vi' and press enter and I'm being productive - not Facebooking. How long would it take me to do all that on Win7?

I actually have a e-mail/calendar & weather gadget in Windows 7 with the advantage of these being that they are non instrusive.

Just like in Windows 7, you can hit Windows key, and just start typing. It will search for apps. Hitting Windows key + F, then clicking on apps to search for apps is a silly procedure. If that's what you want, hit Windows key to search apps and Windows key + W to search settings. Windows key + F is just for searching for files.

Hitting the Windows key did nothing for me in RP so I assumed Windows Key + F was the only method around this. SIlly indeed.

Windows 8 wasn't designed for you. It was designed for someone who lives on Facebook all day. So you should probably stick with "The Real Mans OS" Windows 7.

Amen.

Which one of the fantastic Metro is replacing Live Mail or Outlook again? I like how you kinda pretend that 'live notifications' are somehow new or unique cause they are anchored to a tile.

On Win7, I've already clicked my pinned icons for VS and my 'real' email app while glancing at my weather gadget.

Windows Media Player is still there, just like in Windows 7. And you can still install any media player you like, just like in Windows 7.

Yet another case where Metro is defended simply because the current apps are so ill conceived for the most part.

Yet another case where Metro is defended simply because the current apps are so ill conceived for the most part.

Well, it's like saying Windows sucks because you're forced to use Internet Explorer... it completely ignores the fact that alternative browsers exist. Why complain about the metro video app when you can use Windows Media Player? Or VLC? Or any one of the hundreds of alternatives? Especially when many of you like to use Chrome (or Firefox) and VLC anyway.

If you ignore metro apps you don't like, in the worst case you're no worse off than you were before. Best case, you find some useful metro apps you like that will never be available for Windows 7. This will be more obvious once the Windows Store is open to all developers to submit apps.

Right now, developers have to attend an AE (Application Excellence) lab (typically on-site at a Microsoft location, but sometimes over the telephone/sktype/watever I think) and have their app reviewed and approved by a Microsoft engineer. If it's not approved, you have to wait until the Store opens for all developers.

Fair point, I guess it just seems repetitive that everytime a deficiency is voiced about a poorly implemented Metro app, the desktop solution is the first response instead of agreement of the problem.

I'm a bit confused here. You seem to say you don't want to use the Start menu or screen to search for files because you can just search in Explorer. You also complain that you have to choose between apps and files when searching on the Start screen even though apps is chosen by default.

Fair point, I guess it just seems repetitive that everytime a deficiency is voiced about a poorly implemented Metro app, the desktop solution is the first response instead of agreement of the problem.

Well, hasn't the response to a deficiency in a desktop app always been to use something else? I don't see the difference. Sure the metro apps right now lack things, they're pretty new and really like v1.0 apps. We can agree that they've got problems but if you don't want to wait for them to get upgraded and fixed then the only option is to fall back to another app.