How to mount ISO images in Windows 8?

Hey guys,

i have installed Release preview and i have few ISO files. But i am unable to find the mount option.

When i select ISO file/ s nothing happens and there's no Action Menu?

Any Tips?

Thanks.

If you asking what needs to be installed, I don't have the answer yet. But you can Right-click and "Open with.." the select "Windows Explorer"

You're all suggesting things that are more complicated than necessary. All you have to do is double click on the .iso file... and it mounts.

You're all suggesting things that are more complicated than necessary. All you have to do is double click on the .iso file... and it mounts.

oh yeah... right clicking iso and clicking mount is so complicated /s

oh yeah... right clicking iso and clicking mount is so complicated /s

You're right, it's not. But just double clicking on it is even easier. But I was more responding to:

But you can Right-click and "Open with.." the select "Windows Explorer"

Talk about complicated, this is complicated:

right click computer -> manage -> disc manage -> right panel click more actions -> all actions -> open

then in ecplorer find out the ISO and select(whcih requires another 2 clicks). :laugh:

@rfirth & @still1:

Ah yes, silly me haha.. You can just double-click it or right-click and choose Mount actually.

I didn't see the default action (Mount) listed in context-menu the first time I right-click the .iso. Maybe coz not only I hadn't Choose the default program, I also had Nero Express already installed before encounter/try-to-mount any .iso (or maybe Nero is the reason why I didn't see the Mount in context menu). So I pre-assumed maybe MS had Mount-command removed from W8 Release Preview (which turns out to be wrong, :D gladly) and posted that solution.

Thanks for correcting it.

Problem with the built in tool in win8 is that it keeps adding drives, and there's not max settings. So instead of reusing the same virtual drive, eventually you'll have like 8 drives...

• 4 months later...

Problem with the built in tool in win8 is that it keeps adding drives, and there's not max settings. So instead of reusing the same virtual drive, eventually you'll have like 8 drives...

Funny thing about that, you can just right click the drive, then choose 'eject' and it removes the drive if it is a mounted iso. With all this talk about right click menus I thought you would have tried that...

I did, it's far more annoying than just installing DT lite and just double clicking images without needing to eject them, isn't it...

Also keeps me from having to have a separate explorer windows with the rives visible,or scrolling down on the explorer tree view to find the rive I'm ejecting.

I did, it's far more annoying than just installing DT lite and just double clicking images without needing to eject them, isn't it...

Also keeps me from having to have a separate explorer windows with the rives visible,or scrolling down on the explorer tree view to find the rive I'm ejecting.

Daemon Tools, people still use that atrocity?

Virtual CloneDrive is much cleaner, doesn't require reboot crap and works just as well. I use it all the time to mount images on a network drive in 7. Works like a charm.

• Like 2

How long since you installed DT

the new versions are just as light as VCD, only with better OS integrations and interface, doesn't require reboots.

So what where you complaining about, VCD is like a hobby toy compared to DT, DT just has a much better interface tool package and connect menu integration.

I don't appear to have an option to mount ISOs in my Win8 RTM installation :/ any ideas?

EDIT: It was because I needed to set ISO's to open with EXPLORER, and not anything else.

Daemon Tools, people still use that atrocity?

It's true that early versions of Daemon Tools were invasive & heavy-handed with the system, but the latest versions are quite lean & mean. SPTD is even optional now in that it's only needed if one is wanting to access copy-protected disc images.

The way Daemon Tools integrates into the OS is very elegant these days. Some versions are pretty pricy, though. However, I was fortunate to grab their Advanced version during their Spring/Summer sale cheap.

Anyway, if you haven't tried Daemon Tools in a long time, I encourage you to try it again.

• 5 months later...

And this is a problem *how*?

Virtual drives using Windows 8's built-in tools use far less space than the alternatives - any of them - that you HAD to use in Windows 7. (Same applies to Windows Server 2012 compared to Server 2008R2 and earlier, and for the identical reasons.) In fact, if anything, it is of far greater utility for me BECAUSE there's no real need for virtual-drive management. Besides, it is also utterly transparent to software that can access physical drives (such as VMware or other desktop-virtualization tools0.