Any way to get rid of the ridiculous charm bar?

Well, when Microsoft is trying to do this:

Do you honestly think continuing to use this

There's a big difference between a futuristic looking mockup video where you can make pretty much everything look smooth and real life. With Microsoft trying so hard it sure is funny that their most serious apps will continue to run in the old fashioned desktop environment rather than Metro.

Do you honestly think Apple's not planning to follow suit? Mac OS X will be changing soon too. I can guarantee it.

At least with apple, if such a drastic change is coming, they wont throw it all in your face and force you to deal with some horribly ugly and poorly thought out interface.

• Like 1

But, since Windows 8 sucks so much for laptops and desktops, won't people just move to OS X, Chrome OS, Linux?

Either that or just stick with windows 7, it works, easy to use, and will be supported for a very long time.

I believe that even if windows 8 were 100% free for everyone most people would probably stick to windows 7 or something else, 8 really is that bad.

At least with apple, if such a drastic change is coming, they wont throw it all in your face and force you to deal with some horribly ugly and poorly thought out interface.

You've obviously never used any of their products then ;)

Well, when Microsoft is trying to do this:

You like to keep posting that same concept video, notice how most of the things they are using are PORTABLE DEVICES with touchscreens, I don't see her doing any productivity work on her glasses or her 'tablet'.

You've obviously never used any of their products then ;)

I currently own 2 ipads, 2011 mac pro, 2012 mac mini, a custom built mac pro hackintosh, 2 ipod touch 4th gen 64GB and have owned at least 4 iphones, two 4s models, one iphone 4 and a 3GS and I am completely happen with all of the apple products that I currently own and have seen nothing come from apple that even remotely compares to the miserable fail of windows 8, not even close.

• Like 1

Well, then what would you call it? Sidebar is taken. ;)

It does sound childish and silly, obviously the best name would be Fabubar, maybe Glee Bar.

Yes, Apple are entirely known for giving users options... :p Either way, the Windows 8 interface has had a LOT of thought put into it. People don't make such big changes without mountains of research and analysis behind it - and there's an extremely vast segment of users who could greatly appreciate the work being done to make computing more accessible.

It sounds like something a 13yr old girl would talk about. Seriously, doesn't it..?? Am I the only one who thinks it sounds childish...???

'Charms' is very cutesy... 'Icons' is more adult.... for example, "i'm using a lovely set of charms" or "i'm using some cool icons"

There's a big difference between a futuristic looking mockup video where you can make pretty much everything look smooth and real life. With Microsoft trying so hard it sure is funny that their most serious apps will continue to run in the old fashioned desktop environment rather than Metro.

If you mean apps like Office and VS etc I don't think they'll stay as win32 apps forever. Right now the winrt APIs aren't there yet, but they will be and then you'll see those apps ported. Maybe at first we'll get some basic versions of them, but it will happen. To say that their most serious apps will continue to run the same always is wrong imo.

I think some people expect the status quo we are going to get in Win8 to be the case for Win9 and up but I think that's wrong, very wrong. The start screen is only the first part of the shift, the desktop will change next, it won't be the way it has, and when it does change that'll be when we also probably get the option to have windowed metro apps as well. There is no way the "desktop" will be frozen as is from now on.

Yes, Apple are entirely known for giving users options... :p Either way, the Windows 8 interface has had a LOT of thought put into it. People don't make such big changes without mountains of research and analysis behind it - and there's an extremely vast segment of users who could greatly appreciate the work being done to make computing more accessible.

Well I don't see apple trying to force a tablet interface onto the desktop, their approach is way ahead of microsoft by simply adding elements of ios in useful areas while retaining a complete desktop experience for the average user.

When you boot OSX it still looks and acts just like a good desktop experience should, this is simply not the case with windows 8, not even close.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more.

It does sound childish and silly, obviously the best name would be Fabubar, maybe Glee Bar.

No no no! Microsoft is wanting to go minimalist, and simple, lets call it what it is, The Retarded Bar.

What thought was put into it? What makes sense in ALLLL of Metro land?! Jack ****. that's what.

You like to keep posting that same concept video, notice how most of the things they are using are PORTABLE DEVICES with touchscreens, I don't see her doing any productivity work on her glasses or her 'tablet'.

I recall there being desktops in that video. ;)

Another "I hate Windows 8" thread. And another Windows 8 thread derailed by hate.

On topic:

I understand people who want to remove features that they perceive as "getting in the way", or that are always on the screen, or that are essential. Like the start screen. I love the start screen, but I can understand others that don't.

However, I don't understand people who react the way you do to simple things that are placed out of the way. You want to get rid of the ridiculous charm bar? Why? It's a hidden menu. It's very unobtrusive.

Next you'll be complaining about right click menus. If you don't like right click menus, don't right click!

No no no! Microsoft is wanting to go minimalist, and simple, lets call it what it is, The Retarded Bar.

No, wait, I got it...and it's good....

...the FUBAR....

My biggest problem with the charms is that all of them have names that start with "S", except for Devices! This inconsistency bugs the hell out of me. It should have been called "Swag".

By "Charm Bar" are we talking about this ? Not quite working right in Videos

Why don't you think it's working right in that screenshot? It looks as if you've just hit the hot spot but haven't dragged your mouse up/down the right screen edge to activate the bar. If so then that's the way it's supposed to work.

Its stupid and gets in the way of Windowed games.... How do you disable it????

Typically people don't play games windowed, and when they do they don't play them windowed in full screen as well. But for those who do, I don't think so, and what game are you playing that always brings it up? I mean, you have to move the mouse in the top right corner or the lower right corner, typically those areas aren't used by games.