Do you like or hate Windows 8?

The direction Microsoft took with Windows 8  

855 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the direction Microsoft took with Windows 8?

• Yes I love it, i'll be upgrading
    • No I hate it, i'll stick with Windows 7
    • It doesn't bother me
    • I will use Windows 8 with a start menu hack program

If the Start Screen in Windows 8 looked more like the following, I reckon I wouldn't have a problem with it: http://mikeguss.com/Windows. That mock-up could perhaps be improved, but I certainly like how it looks right now; whereas, I still just don't quite like how the current Windows 8 Start Screen looks, probably because of all of the different colours together.

I really don't understand why I feel this way :/ I hope it grows on me. I love how most of the Modern apps look (that doesn't include Internet Explorer 10 with the Modern design language, which I find to be quite ugly).

I'd guess they want a "launch" and the OEMs can't be ready this fast after RTM to have new systems ready with the launch.

This time there is additional factor of the store. I think they will have enough apps by October.

Ah yes. That makes sense to me :yes:

Because we can't build every option imaginable, and such an option would just create inconsistency and confusion. Start is, well, where you start. Besides, nobody reboots anymore. So it's a moot point.

Yet you can boot straight to the desktop in every single other version of windows.. why is that now deemed inconsistent and confusing? If anything removing features that we used to have is inconsistent and confusing.

Since Windows 8 is largely based on Windows 7 that means you actually had to dedicate time to removing features, not adding features.

If the Start Screen in Windows 8 looked more like the following, I reckon I wouldn't have a problem with it: http://mikeguss.com/Windows. That mock-up could perhaps be improved, but I certainly like how it looks right now; whereas, I still just don't quite like how the current Windows 8 Start Screen looks, probably because of all of the different colours together.

That early design indeed looks much better than the final version.

• Like 2

Before I agree with you on this, I'd like to hear the reasons as to why they don't. If it's possible for them to do all of that without them losing out then I certainly agree.

I'd guess they want a "launch" and the OEMs can't be ready this fast after RTM to have new systems ready with the launch.

This time there is additional factor of the store. I think they will have enough apps by October.

True, but at the same time, you have people that are leaking and pirating the OS as we speak. Seems like having a quicker launch would cut back on some of it. OEMs be damned.

True, but at the same time, you have people that are leaking and pirating the OS as we speak. Seems like having a quicker launch would cut back on some of it. OEMs be damned.

For Enterprise customers Windows 8 Enterprise Preview is available now.

Because the market and consumers both rejected them, and with good reason. They were clunky, bulky, heavy, hot, and feature limited. Not finger friendly, poor battery life, ran Windows XP. They were a joke.

Strange because Android has great multitasking support and is extremely popular amongst consumers. And although I think of tablets as being niche toys, I'd go for Android over RT 100 times out of 100. Android is well designed, RT is ass ugly.

I went from not liking it to liking it. some people around here were courteous and helped me around the interface.

Strange because Android has great multitasking support and is extremely popular amongst consumers. And although I think of tablets as being niche toys, I'd go for Android over RT 100 times out of 100. Android is well designed, RT is ass ugly.

Well Android already tried and got mostly rejected in the tablet market. ;)

Yet you can boot straight to the desktop in every single other version of windows.. why is that now deemed inconsistent and confusing? If anything removing features that we used to have is inconsistent and confusing.

Since Windows 8 is largely based on Windows 7 that means you actually had to dedicate time to removing features, not adding features.

There is no difference in booting to the desktop or Start. What do you do on the desktop? Click an icon. What do you do in Start? Click an icon, and if that icon happens to be a classic app, you're taken to the desktop at the same time, in less clicks. You're complaining about nothing here.

There is no difference in booting to the desktop or Start. What do you do on the desktop? Click an icon. What do you do in Start? Click an icon, and if that icon happens to be a classic app, you're taken to the desktop at the same time, in less clicks. You're complaining about nothing here.

Except for the part where I want nothing to do with the start screen, sure. Once again the key here is OPTIONS. Something you guys seem to be afraid of. And once again it's something that used to be in previous versions of windows yet is now missing.

And the claim that it would take time to make that option available is silly. It was in Windows 7 which means they actually had to have someone dedicate time to removing that option which could just as easily have been dedicated to making it work in Windows 8.

Giving people the option to choose only gets rid of another criticism (albeit a small one) against windows 8. Everyone wins.

I honestly don't get why you would care if I had the option to boot straight to the desktop. It doesn't effect you or anyone else so I like I said, I don't get why you would argue against having the option.

Well Android already tried and got mostly rejected in the tablet market. ;)

Strange because I see sales of Android tablets continuing to increase, the Nexus 7 seems particularly popular.

Except for the part where I want nothing to do with the start screen, sure. Once again the key here is OPTIONS. Something you guys seem to be afraid of. And once again it's something that used to be in previous versions of windows yet is now missing.

And the claim that it would take time to make that option available is silly. It was in Windows 7 which means they actually had to have someone dedicate time to removing that option which could just as easily have been dedicated to making it work in Windows 8.

Giving people the option to choose only gets rid of another criticism (albeit a small one) against windows 8. Everyone wins.

I honestly don't get why you would care if I had the option to boot straight to the desktop. It doesn't effect you or anyone else so I like I said, I don't get why you would argue against having the option.

It's the new Microsoft, where you shut the **** up and do what they tell you, got it? :p

Strange because I see sales of Android tablets continuing to increase, the Nexus 7 seems particularly popular.

It's the new Microsoft, where you shut the **** up and do what they tell you, got it? :p

1) Android tablets are dirt cheap and many people who can't afford better, don't do much with them. JMO.

2) I kind of agree with you, but based on the gamble they are making with these changes, they have to go all-in. I would have chosen a more gradual path, but if I were somehow I their position, I would not allow boot to the desktop. For sure tablets will not boot to the desktop and that will ruin the consistent UX. This is all about the emerging and future market. Even some of us techhies aren't interested in lugging around a laptop or ultrabook, but the Surface Pro form factor and functionality, with appropriate useable touch UI hits the spot right on target.

Yea Nexus 7 came out last month and we don't know numbers more than "IT'S SOLD OUT Google Play". Android tablets have been out for I don't know, 18 months now? Their sales are at the same level as Windows Phone and everyone knows "Windows Phone is a failure and rejected by market". ;) There has been only iPad market so far in fact using the same bar that people use for Windows Phone - I have never seen an actual person using Android tablet besides couple of people at work (including me) who have it for development (but go unused) whereas I see iPads day in and day out, at work, airports etc.

The idea is that Start is supposed to be a dashboard to your PC, with your desktop being a subset of Start with everything else.

But...but...but there were technical reasons why the start menu was removed!!! I agree. This is a very inconsistent OS. Booting straight to the desktop will not make it more inconsistant. When we start Windows 7, is the start menu open by default? Why should the start screen be open by default then? How is it inconsistent to boot directly to the desktop?

We all know you don't agree with the direction MS is going, but if you look at the overall plan they have, again you don't have to agree with it, you should understand why they make you boot to the start screen. It's the universal start point in all their platforms, PC, tablet, phone and even the Xbox.

Windows 8 will be available soon, but many people decided they will stick with windows 7 because of the "drastic changes". Let's look at some of these changes.

1. OMG! My start button is gone!

No, the start button isn't really gone. You still got one on your keyboard, in the charm menu, and the start overlay in the bottom right corner.

2. Nuu! The start menu is gone!

Yes it is gone, but the new charm menu provides the same function as the start menu. Once you understand how the charm menu works, the UI becomes much more powerful. The start screen is a great for basic users. The live tiles allows you to take a look and move on.

3. The transparency thingy is gone!!!!

I'm sure you can live without it. Windows XP had no Aero and some people still prefers it over Windows 7 surprisingly. After using windows 8 RTM for a week, I quickly got use to the new UI.

4. The logo looks ugly

Does this really matter? The new logo actually makes more sense. The new logo looks like a window/tiles, unlike the old windows flag, which is irrelevant. It's not quite as fancy as the flag, but at least there is some reasoning behind it.

Most of the windows 8 haters I've seen never tried windows 8. I recommend trying the RTM out before judging whether you should get it or not.

• Like 2

''Windows 8, not as bad as you think'' - your reasons doesn't convince me at all. Let's try something else like ''Top 10 Reasons to upgrade to Windows 8'' and please don't come with ''it's faster, it's more secure ....''.

• Like 2

I tried the consumer preview version of windows 8 for over a week as my main Os and to be honest i was not impressed, the start screen looks tacky and and these single screen apps seems like we are going backwards to the days of single tasks. what is the point in having all this power in computers just to run one task?

I also think the charms are a pain in the neck, reminds me of the taskbar in windows 95/98, which used to be hidden and would pop out at silly times when you get too close to the edge of the screen.

so for a while I will stick with windows 7, i was thinking of going Mac instead of windows, but Apple seems intent with getting rid of opticle drives.

what is happening with our computers? we seems to be going backwards.

I used the consumer preview and I don't like it at all. I've liked every previous Windows version at least a little, even Windows Me which I had no problems with despite all the complaints. While I think Windows 8 is fine for touch based tablets it just isn't right for desktops. I understand that many people will like it but it's really not for me. I think it's ugly, non-intuitive and completely unnecessary. I'm staying with Windows 7.

The one thing I don't understand is this.

Sure they got rid of the start button and replaced it with Metro. But on the Desktop side of things why did they feel to hide the start button? What would have been wrong with having it in the bottom left unhidden? I think hiding it just creates unnecessary confusion for the average user.