Do you like or hate Windows 8?

The direction Microsoft took with Windows 8  

855 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the direction Microsoft took with Windows 8?

• Yes I love it, i'll be upgrading
    • No I hate it, i'll stick with Windows 7
    • It doesn't bother me
    • I will use Windows 8 with a start menu hack program

Its just common on Neowin, that if you dislike something (in this case Windows 8) you'll more or less be burned to the ground for having an opinion. Although these treads need to cease.

People from both sides of the argument have created the sorry state of the coverage of Windows 8 on this forum, as someone else said, no matter what thread is created about Windows 8 it's turned into a battleground for those who hate and like to try and better each other in the argument of how good is Windows 8.

It's quite simple, Those who hate Windows 8 don't like the opinions of those who do like Windows 8, and those who like Windows 8 don't like the opinions of those who hate Windows 8!

Question for those of you who were here when Vista came out, were there as many people defending Vista when it came out? I'm just wondering, because I legitimately think Windows 8 a decent OS, but I'm wondering if a lot of people thought the same about Vista when it was first released.

Because Fanboi's shout and degrade anyone who speaks out against it, and most ppl either couldn't give a S**t or don't want to get into pointless flame wars.

All I will point out though is...various polls around the net and on this site, suggest a vast number either won't install it, or aren't excited enoungh by it to do so (ppl who want to wait and see for while), leaving only a minority who will install it either on or just after release.

Question for those of you who were here when Vista came out, were there as many people defending Vista when it came out? I'm just wondering, because I legitimately think Windows 8 a decent OS, but I'm wondering if a lot of people thought the same about Vista when it was first released.

Vista had a similar reaction... though alot less deserving of it...

You and I both know that's not happening.

No turning back now. Apps will make things right.

I tried the CP, even gave the RP a good solid six weeks. And to be brutally honest, I simply don't like Win8. Couldn't stand it anymore and went back to Win7. That said, I bet there are boatloads of people who just hate it outright without ever giving it a chance and that is wrong.

Vista was the "last" OS from Microsoft with a real public Beta, you know, with people participating and commenting. So, I was easier to know what was wrong with Vista and what Microsoft did not do to fix the different issue when it came out. When you saw your ticket closed as "By design, won't fix" it was aggravating. So it left lots of vocal beta tester bashing Vista, with reason.

With proper drivers, Vista was a fine OS, drivers where the real deal breaker. Windows 8, well....

some people don't like chocolate

Chocolate gives many people migraines.. whats your point ?

(Like myself) although i still eat it cause its good :)

and FourJays you made sense to me. Being called a whiner is fighting words

so when the fanbois attack people that don't like it..

No one is making me install it ?

Well no one is forcing the Fanboys to mount a campaign against the haters

you all bend over backwards to provoke us to no end and then complain when there is a response..

What do you expect ? Would you like it if i called you guys iratating whiners ?

Cause i could it works both ways..

Some of the Cheerleaders are so iratating they are worse than bible thumpers

arguing about religion

• Like 2

Well no one is forcing the Fanboys to mount a campaign against the haters

you all bend over backwards to provoke us to no end and then complain when there is a response..

What do you expect ? Would you like it if i called you guys iratating whiners ?

Cause i could it works both ways..

Some of the Cheerleaders are so iratating they are worse than bible thumpers

arguing about religion

My problem is most haters is that they do influence people around them and this happened a lot with Vista, which leads to unfair impression of the said product. There is nothing objectively wrong with Windows 8, everyone's reaction to the new UI is purely subjective and should stay that way. (ref: check youtube for numerous "Grandpa's reaction to Windows 8" videos.)

I think the sarcasm tag at the end of the OP has been missed by a lot of the people here :)

I saw the sarcasm tag, yet OP is still a successful troll at these forums. Who needs another thread, just please post in one of the other threads.

best thing about win8 is that it can run on tablets as well as pcs...main benefit is that all your programs that run on your PC will also run on the tablet..so this is a huge advantage over IPad..etc one caveat is that only tablets running intel processors will support this...

I do agree though that Vista+ GUI does use alot of resources (at least compared to WinXP) but I think newer hardware can well accommodate that..

Some of you may find this hard to believe, but there are some people out there who don't see Windows 8 as a drastic but necessary leap forward for Microsoft as they fight to stay relevant in the advent of tablets and touchscreen PCs.

Indeed, some people view the 'modern' UI as an ugly, overbearing full-screen tablet interface awkwardly tacked on top of what is essentially a desktop OS. Others are mystified how Microsoft could have strayed so far from their original vision back when 'Metro' was first revealed, or claim that the two UIs were so rushed they bear almost no resemblance and have no place being part of the same OS. Then some just plain can't live without a Start button.

The only reason I bring this up is that given the overwhelmingly positive reaction Windows 8 has received on this site, I'm surprised these critics haven't been more vocal. Certainly if I felt the same way they did, I'd feel the need to express my opinion on any article even remotely related to the new OS. In fact, I'd be tempted to somehow shoehorn my opinions into articles that have nothing to do with Windows 8, or even Microsoft, just to ensure that even people who had no intention of reading about Windows today are aware of what a terrible thing Microsoft has done.

Maybe they're just shy or fear the backlash from expressing their opinions, and while I may not agree with them, I just thought I'd point out there is another side to the argument and give these critics a voice, as I feel they are grossly under-represented here on Neowin.

/s

Really? Why do we need another hate thread again? There are plenty more to choose from.

There is nothing objectively wrong with Windows 8, everyone's reaction to the new UI is purely subjective

Like this one by Paul Thurrott, for example:

Windows 8 is a mess, but it?s a glorious, wonderful mess. It?s the technology equivalent of a gooey ice cream cone on a humid summer day, where half of it just drips down over your hand, and you couldn?t care less because the whole experience is so wonderful.

:rofl:

Well, poke the powers that be about putting them up! Personally, I suspect a lot of these folks just told you guys what you were wanting to hear, especially if they were compensated for their time.

It doesn't work that way. It's not like we show them a finished product and say "do you like that?" In fact, the opinions expressed are only part of the equation. The more interesting thing is how easy or hard it is for them to accomplish tasks without help.

I know that some folks don't like Windows 8 - and I have no problem with that per se.

What I have a problem with is their untruthfulness as to *why* they don't like Windows 8.

Instead of coming right out and saying that they are used to the *Start menu* (from 2000 to 7) and are loathe to change OR they are woried that the Modern UI will supplant Win32 completely OR that they are worried that the WinRT API *and* WindowsRT will kill off the Win32 API (which is still present in Windows 8 itself), they try and blow smoke up my rear end with pseudologic.

All three show the presence of an emotion behind their criticism - fear.

Fear can be dealt with - but you have to own up to it to face it.

Just before the Developer Preview went onto the Internet for download, i was majorly skeptical about the Modern UI for the exact reason it has been getting attacked - it was a radical change from what I was used to.

So I first tested the Developer Perview in a VM - good, but not ideal.

Next up, I shrunk my existing Windows 7 one-drive partition and set up a dual-boot configuration of 7 and the Developer Preview.

It turned out I could deal with the changes in the UI quite easily; the fact that it was compatible with *all* my applicaitons (and almost all of my games - beta and otherwise - out of the box) spoke volumes.

The Consumer Preview was next up, and was even better than the Developer Preview, and put even more space between 8 and 7 from a performance POV. (Remember - this is on a combination of dead and hardware that is on its last legs support-wise OR on the bottom end of the desktop market - not leading-edge current hardware or even 7-era cutting-edge hardware.)

Result - I took the rather surprising step of demoting Windows 7 itself to VM-only duties.

Now I'm running the RTM of 7 Pro (Partner Network), and the last gaming nitpick (DX11 support in Crysis 2) has been fixed. Therefore, I have absolutely zero quibbles with Windows 8 at all.

If you'er that tied into the Start menu, fine. If you're worried about WinRT and/or the Modern UI, fine. Say so - just don't try and use pseudologic to blow smoke up my rear end.

nothing new,windows has billions of users,a few will bitch,a lot of linux and mac fanboys are bitter. its all irrelevant when its released in the marketplace. most computer users dont read blogs. they go to the store,look at something and buy it based on what they like. Judging by the last few decades,everyone loves windows and continue to buy it.

People can say whatever they feel like saying,it doesnt affect what will or wont happen. the market decides,not some bitter blogger.

As I like to say: **** these people :p lol. Windows 8 is the next logical step in computer evolution. It allows for rich and beautiful applications that operate and interact in a very clean and never before seen fashion. People complain that's it's too hard to use when in reality it's a thousand times simpler than the good ol' desktop and with RT people will have access to really cheap computers that will accomplish all the tasks they want. It's a departure from the old way of doing things (without sacrificing anything about it) and it's more than welcome, in fact, people have been asking for it for a long time and it's finally here! I just can't wait for everyone to try it out! I already installed the release preview on all my friend's and relative's computer and so far they are loving it!

Perfectly said.

I remember being a kid and my mom bringing home a copy of Win 3.11 from work; I was what is this BS; I have to type win, then wait for some graphical garbage to load then double click and icon.. let windows load back into dos then run my game? When I could just type c:\Sierra\SpaceQuest4\run.exe (or whatever) and it does the same thing in literally 1/10th of the time... then came Win95 where I WAS FORCED to use a GUI all the time! How ignorant I was back then, a child, now I have learned to embrace the changes in the UI of computers... as they have all led to wonderful advancements.The seamless modern design of win8 across desktop, tablet and phone will be having me switch all my devices to win8 from android.

...but to each there own and it is fine that there are those who do not agree, nor will embrace Win8 and Metro. All is fine, this current revision will evolve yet again as the computer human user interaction evolves.