Do you like or hate Windows 8?

The direction Microsoft took with Windows 8  

855 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the direction Microsoft took with Windows 8?

• Yes I love it, i'll be upgrading
    • No I hate it, i'll stick with Windows 7
    • It doesn't bother me
    • I will use Windows 8 with a start menu hack program

Due to Metro, Windows 8 Is basically a crippled version of Windows 7.

But why?

You still have everything from Win7 and on top of that we get a whole new app platform that creates a consistent UI for the PC/tablet/phone

What's not to like?

Who says they're not? I guarantee Windows 9 concepts are already on the board, and a dedicated team of developers are weighing options.

How do you know the next version of Windows will be called Windows 9? It may have a different name. Andrea Borman.

How do you know the next version of Windows will be called Windows 9? It may have a different name. Andrea Borman.

Would you feel better if he would call it Windows.next?

Would you feel better if he would call it Windows.next?

Well there was Windows NT(I don't know what NT stands for,) then there was Windows 95,made in 1995,I presume. And then Windows 98,made in 1998,Windows 2000,Windows ME,made at the end of 2000.

And then there was Windows XP made in 2001.But instead of calling it Windows 2001,they called it Windows XP. Then came Windows Vista, then Windows 7. Because I presume it's the 7th edition of Windows or the 7th modern edition. And now there is Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

Well there was Windows NT(I don't know what NT stands for,) then there was Windows 95,made in 1995,I presume. And then Windows 98,made in 1998,Windows 2000,Windows ME,made at the end of 2000.

And then there was Windows XP made in 2001.But instead of calling it Windows 2001,they called it Windows XP. Then came Windows Vista, then Windows 7. Because I presume it's the 7th edition of Windows or the 7th modern edition. And now there is Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

Stoffel's point (as I understood it) was that it really doesn't matter what they call it - for now we're referring to it as Windows 9, and all of us understand that that means the version of windows that comes after Windows 8. We all know that different versions of Windows have used different naming conventions

I don't. But you can pick from any number of names for the next version of Windows. Coming from Windows 7 and now Windows 8, Windows 9 just "fits".

That's just stating the obvious. As we're not psychic and cannot predict the next name of Windows if it deviates from the current tradition it's entirely reasonable to refer to it as Windows 9. If and when a new name is announced people can change how they refer to it. Obviously nobody here has a clue what the next version of Windows will be called, especially when Microsoft probably hasn't even decided that itself. Happy now?

I'm already using Windows 8 as my default operating system. I don't like all the changes - especially the implementation of Metro - but overall I consider it an improvement over Windows 7 and therefore "like it". But I really hope that Microsoft responds to the criticism over the design decisions for the next version of Windows, especially relating to how Metro and the desktop operate and integrate.

no grudge toward windows 8, but is mean for touch device and not for desktop.

No it's not. It's meant to be used on desktops and laptops and tablets. Not JUST tablets, and not JUST touch screens.

For us power users, nothing has changed. We still have our powerful desktop, and we simply have a better start menu (which displays more search results and has a "All Programs" list that is actually functional)

• Like 1

I do not like Windows 8 on a desktop or Laptop. However, I think I will really like using the metro on a tablet or touchscreen.

I personally love Windows 8... but I have just gone back to Windows 7 because of the lack of compatibility for programmes I use everyday. For example, the installation for Sony Vegas didn't run, and I couldn't mount some of my games with PowerISO. Hopefully, they will fix this in the future and this won't be another major OS failure like Windows Vista...

Of course, they wouldn't run. The proof is in the pudding! Windows 8 is a tablet-centric OS. Why would you need to run PowerISO on a tablet?

Well there was Windows NT(I don't know what NT stands for,)

NT stood for "New Technology".

If I can get rid of "WinRT / Metro" and use a Start Menu hack, I will use Windows 8 for the desktop enhancements. Otherwise, I will stick with Windows 7. I don't give a f*** about WinRT, and I don't need a fullscreen colorful launcher to run useless apps like Angry Birds on my Desktop computer.

In fact, I still don't understand the advantage of using WinRT apps on a desktop computer. Most of the time, the website is a better choice than the WinRT app. For example, the Netflix app... the website works well, why would I bother using a fullscreen ugly app when I can simply open a new tab in my browser?!

If I can get rid of "WinRT / Metro" and use a Start Menu hack, I will use Windows 8 for the desktop enhancements. Otherwise, I will stick with Windows 7. I don't give a f*** about WinRT, and I don't need a fullscreen colorful launcher to run useless apps like Angry Birds on my Desktop computer.

In fact, I still don't understand the advantage of using WinRT apps on a desktop computer. Most of the time, the website is a better choice than the WinRT app. For example, the Netflix app... the website works well, why would I bother using a fullscreen ugly app when I can simply open a new tab in my browser?!

The fact you think WinRT is just capable of angry birds type apps demonstrates how out of touch you really are, and therefore renders your opinion entirely worthless.

I am ultimately ambivalent about Metro on the desktop. While I understand that this part of a larger move by Microsoft to unify interfaces between devices, the current implementation on the desktop leaves much to be desired. For example, is a file manager even available as a Metro app yet?

The fact you think WinRT is just capable of angry birds type apps demonstrates how out of touch you really are, and therefore renders your opinion entirely worthless.

The point is: What can WinRT do that we can't already do? Netflix application? There's a website. Mail application? There's Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. Yelp application? The website works pretty well. IMDb app? Website. Weather app? There's tons and tons of websites...

WinRT doesn't bring anything new that we can't already do on a desktop PC, in a modern browser like Firefox or Chrome...

Stop drinking the Microsoft Koolaid for 10 minutes, prove me wrong and show me only ONE "must-have" WinRT app I MUST have on my desktop PC! I'll say it again: WinRT apps are dumbed down versions of already existing apps, or simplified apps that could very well run in a Chrome/Firefox tab.

The point is: What can WinRT do that we can't already do? Netflix application? There's a website. Mail application? There's Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. Yelp application? The website works pretty well. IMDb app? Website. etc.

WinRT doesn't bring anything new that we can't already do on a desktop PC, in a modern browser like Firefox or Chrome...

Prove me wrong and show me only ONE "must-have" WinRT app!

There's also one other big selling point for me. When you do most of those things in a desktop app like a browser it doesn't take your entire screen over.

The point is: What can WinRT do that we can't already do? Netflix application? There's a website. Mail application? There's Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. Yelp application? The website works pretty well. IMDb app? Website. Weather app? There's tons and tons of websites...

Stop drinking the Microsoft Koolaid for 10 minutes, prove me wrong and show me only ONE "must-have" WinRT app, for a desktop PC

what can iOS apps do that we can't already do? Netflix app? theres a website (which would work on iOS if they allowed Silverlight). Mail application? there are mobile versions of Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. Yelp app? The mobile website works pretty well. IMDb app? Mobile Website. Weather app? Bing Mobile!

iOS apps don't bring anything new that we can't already do on a mobile OS, in a modern mobile browser like Safari, Firefox, or Chrome.

(sorry if this sounds like trolling or something, this is just the best way I could think of to get my thoughts across)

• Like 2

what can iOS do that we can't already do?

Your question doesn't make sense. You're talking about a phone/tablet OS running on a phone/tablet. I'm talking about an OS that wants you to run phone/tablet apps on a desktop PC.

Am I running iOS apps on my MacBook Pro? Nope...

Your question doesn't make sense. You're talking about a phone/tablet OS running on a phone/tablet. I'm talking about an OS that wants you to run phone/tablet apps on a desktop PC.

Am I running iOS apps on my MacBook Pro? Nope...

I disagree that Metro apps are "phone/tablet" apps, I use them quite successfully on my laptop daily. But, I do admit that I hadn't thought of your post in that manner until you corrected me. Sorry if I missed your point in the original comment (:

I disagree that Metro apps are "phone/tablet" apps, I use them quite successfully on my laptop daily. But, I do admit that I hadn't thought of your post in that manner until you corrected me. Sorry if I missed your point in the original comment (:

You can use Metro apps on a desktop for sure... but, and it's a personal opinion, I don't see the point considering html5 websites you can simply launch in a browser tab give the same result ;) (Netflix for example...)

I guess WinRT apps will get better in the future, but right now, I struggle to see what they can bring that a website using new technologies can't. When I launch a Metro app, the feeling I get is that I'm using a "metroized" html5 website.

I'm a fan of WinRT on tablets though... just can't figure what it brings to a desktop PC.

You can use Metro apps on a desktop for sure... but, and it's a personal opinion, I don't see the point considering html5 websites you can simply launch in a browser tab give the same result ;) (Netflix for example...) I guess WinRT apps will get better in the future, but right now, I struggle to see what they can bring that a website using new technologies can't. When I launch a Metro app, the feeling I get is that I'm using a "metroized" html5 website. I'm a fan of WinRT on tablets though... just can't figure what it brings to a desktop PC.

this is exactly in one regard how I feel about Metro apps. Some apps just don't work with Metro design, eg: photo manipulation, emulation or pretty much any serious or production software. Metro apps are just another Gadgets Titanic platform, a big fuss now, then everyone loses interest. A bunch of unneeded, duplicated functionality apps, which most of us can get from your browser. Metro apps waste screen estate and limit functionality. Who wants to swipe constantly to make toolbar and menu's for serious apps pop up in a productive environment.

I also find there are a lot of apps that look plain silly on a 1080p screen, a lot of metro apps don't seem to scale all that well to high resolution screens.