Windows 7/8 productivity improvements?

JOHW

because i like the 7 core its more stable

So in what way have the new features made you less productive in 7 compared to XP?

As editted into my post: Also you seem to be a strongly mouse person, but the feature improvements you mentioned are strongly mouse based: Jumplists, libraries, pin to taskbar. There exist keyboard shortcuts for those who like to access the same features available to the mouse.

Tilt090

Lol. Than this thread needs locked, because you're never going to get an answer. You can't ask people how they are more productive on Windows 7, and than present a catch 22 by taking away all possible answers. That's not how these things work. Just because YOU don't use these features, doesn't mean others do. I have seen much evidence of the contrary. Many users on here ARE taking advantage of those new features.

bye bye thanks for visiting.

Hum

^ I think part of the resistance is the extra expense of 'upgrading'.

And people see that the average user isn't going to get any big boost from Windows 8.

It's just a status thing.

Tilt090

So in what way have the new features made you less productive in 7 compared to XP?

As editted into my post: Also you seem to be a strongly mouse person, but the feature improvements you mentioned are strongly mouse based: Jumplists, libraries, pin to taskbar. There exist keyboard shortcuts for those who like to access the same features available to the mouse.

yes those features are mouse based and as per habit i can do the same things the old way just as fast due to habit so the new features don't appeal to me... but create a problem when the old way of doing it with the mouse is taken away as in win8. win7 you can still do it both ways.

Dot Matrix

This. Not sure what the OP is going on about, but there is nothing in Windows 7 that is favoring the keyboard over the mouse.

Tilt090

^ I think part of the resistance is the extra expense of 'upgrading'.

And people see that the average user isn't going to get any big boost from Windows 8.

It's just a status thing.

i'm not sure if expense is it. ive paid for 4 copies of 7. ill be picking 8 but alas only as a new tablet. its quite a bit to do with forced keyboard shortcut memorisation i feel.

Dot Matrix

yes those features are mouse based and as per habit i can do the same things the old way just as fast due to habit so the new features don't appeal to me... but create a problem when the old way of doing it with the mouse is taken away as in win8. win7 you can still do it both ways.

Than don't use Windows 8. Can I use Windows XP the same way as I used Windows 3.1? Things change.

JOHW

You can still do the same things in Win 8 compared to Win 7. What are the main habits of yours?

Tilt090

You can still do the same things in Win 8 compared to Win 7. What are the main habits of yours?

using the start menu!!!! lol

Praetor

exactly as an xp user who doesnt find any worth in those 7 features sell it to me. i dont find worth in those features and 8 being built on those features is running into so much resistance just because of that... those features are not worth it and so the mouse users havent taken to them else why should there be so much resistance to 8?

those features are not worty because... you don't like them? lol

i use W8 as my primary machine and can't see to go back.

JOHW

using the start menu!!!! lol

And what aspect of the start menu? It's still a 1 click to open Start Screen, 1 click to launch your app.

And if you need "All programs", it's just a simple right click, without even needing to move your mouse to the "All programs" and left clicking it

Tilt090

those features are not worty because... you don't like them? lol

i use W8 as my primary machine and can't see to go back.

thats nice i wish i could too but i cant i belong to the 33.6% those who voted they dont use windows 8 in the neowin poll on the front page. :)

Tilt090

And what aspect of the start menu? It's still a 1 click to open Start Screen, 1 click to launch your app.

And if you need "All programs", it's just a simple right click, without even needing to move your mouse to the "All programs" and left clicking it

for example instead of jump lists id open the app like vlc or adobe pdf or word and check the latest documents used right from the file menu of the programs. plus having jumplists becomes a privacy issue if you've got friends over. id like to keep the jump lists clean

JOHW

You can disable the "Recent" items in the Jump List, so that's not a problem at all.

You can still do your 1 click Start, 1 click VLC/doc/Reader, etc and be back in the Desktop with your app open. You can then go about doing all your normal activities. What has changed?

6QTUh.png

+warwagon

What good would that do? You'd be wasting more time clicking around compared to Windows 7.

Getting to your local area network connection

XP

1) Click Start

2) Click Control Panel

3) Double Click Network connections.

DONE!

Windows Vista / Windows 7

1) Click Start

2) Click Control Panel

3) Network and sharing Center

4) Change Adapter Settings

DONE!

Windows 8 (on a tablet)

1) Swip your finger from the side of the screen

2) Click settings

4) Click Control Panel

5) Click Network and sharing center

6) Click Change adapter settings

DONE!

Windows XP = 3 Clicks

Windows Vista and 7 = 4 Clicks

Windows 8 = 6 clicks (steps)

JOHW

Windows 8

1) Touch your mouse or swip your finger from the side of the screen

2) Click settings

4) Click Control Panel

You are doing it inefficiently then.

Right click in the notification area the LAN connection icon, "Open Network and Sharing Center", Adapter Settings. 3 clicks. If you have it hidden, you can just expand the notification area for a 4th click.

Also how often does someone actually need to go to that particular page? If you are a sysadmin who needs to do so, you should be shortcutting to it.

Tilt090

You can disable the "Recent" items in the Jump List, so that's not a problem at all.

You can still do your 1 click Start, 1 click VLC/doc/Reader, etc and be back in the Desktop with your app open. You can then go about doing all your normal activities. What has changed?

6QTUh.png

thanks mate for the tip on privacy! one less reason to avoid win8!

butilikethecookie

Huh? I think you're one of two people here that are complaining about the new features of Windows 7.

You're not making sense. Windows 7 doesn't force me to use the keyboard anymore than I did using XP.

Your wasting your time with this guy, bro. Come on! He's a XP user. He's probably still on a P4, 256megs of ram, NVIDIA 8800, and a CRT monitor. He's just an upset troll posting flame bait because his beloved platform got dropped 7+ YEARS ago. People need to stop using obsolete software that is now 12 years old! XP and IE 6-8 needs to die!

+warwagon

Your wasting your time with this guy, bro. Come on! He's a XP user. He's probably still on a P4, 2G of ram, NVIDIA 8800, and a CRT monitor. He's just an upset troll posting flame bait because his beloved platform got dropped 7+ YEARS ago. People need to stop using obsolete software that is now 12 years old! XP and IE 6-8 needs to die!

Actually XP on a P4 2+ ghz and 2 GB of ram runs REALLY well!

If you really wanted to make it sound horrible you should have said P4 with 256 MB of ram :p

butilikethecookie

i'm not sure if expense is it. ive paid for 4 copies of 7. ill be picking 8 but alas only as a new tablet. its quite a bit to do with forced keyboard shortcut memorisation i feel.

No you won't. If it's an x86 tablet you'll wipe it and install your beloved XP.

Dot Matrix

Getting to your local area network connection

XP

1) Click Start

2) Click Control Panel

3) Double Click Network connections.

DONE!

Windows Vista / Windows 7

1) Click Start

2) Click Control Panel

3) Network and sharing Center

4) Change Adapter Settings

DONE!

Windows 8

1) Touch your mouse or swip your finger from the side of the screen

2) Click settings

4) Click Control Panel

Windows XP = 3 Clicks

Windows Vista and 7 = 4 Clicks

Windows 8 = 6 clicks (steps)

What are you doing that for? Right click the network icon in the taskbar, and open Network Sharing from there. Same number of clicks.

EDIT: JOHW beat me to it. :laugh:

+warwagon

What are you doing that for? Right click the network icon in the taskbar, and open Network Sharing from there. Same number of clicks.

EDIT: JOHW beat me to it. :laugh:

Unless you have them hidden, then it's 1 more click! Like JohnW said!

Dashel

So, many of you seem to argue from the position that you find the Win8 changes 'neutral'. So, what is your killer list of tasks that are faster/easier on Win8 compared to 7/XP for heavy desktop mouse multitaskers (aka people doing work)?

I technically agree with the OP, I'd rather have a classic UI with all the under the hood changes in a 'Pro' edition. Leave it as is in the Home/Mobile editions.

That is a very Mac loving, 'it needs to die' mentality cookie that keeps creeping into these Win8 threads.

butilikethecookie

Actually XP on a P4 2+ ghz and 2 GB of ram runs REALLY well!

If you really wanted to make it sound horrible you should have said P4 with 256 MB of ram :p

:) Edited!

Tilt090

thanks mate for the tip on privacy! one less reason to avoid win8!

You are doing it inefficiently then.

Right click in the notification area the LAN connection icon, "Open Network and Sharing Center", Adapter Settings. 3 clicks. If you have it hidden, you can just expand the notification area for a 4th click.

Also how often does someone actually need to go to that particular page? If you are a sysadmin who needs to do so, you should be shortcutting to it.

is there a way to pin the shutdown button on the taskbar and get the sleep option in there??