• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 7/8 productivity improvements?

+warwagon    13,521

:) Edited!

But I already quoted you so your post will live in for eternity!

butilikethecookie    29

But I already quoted you so your post will live in for eternity!

edit your post! change the quote!!

Tilt090    13

:) Edited!

some people love gold and dimaond bracelets even if they are handcuffs. some see them as handcuffs straight up and try to work their way around them. live and let live.

Tilt090    13

So, many of you seem to argue from the position that you find the Win8 changes 'neutral'. So, what is your killer list of tasks that are faster/easier on Win8 compared to 7/XP for heavy desktop mouse multitaskers (aka people doing work)?

I technically agree with the OP, I'd rather have a classic UI with all the under the hood changes in a 'Pro' edition. Leave it as is in the Home/Mobile editions.

That is a very Mac loving, 'it needs to die' mentality cookie that keeps creeping into these Win8 threads.

welcome sensible people!

+warwagon    13,521

edit your post! change the quote!!

Nu uh! Not gonna do it! :p

You knocked people running XP on 2GB of ram, making it sound like it ran like crap! Shame on you! :)

• Like 1

Dot Matrix    7,438

So, many of you seem to argue from the position that you find the Win8 changes 'neutral'. So, what is your killer list of tasks that are faster/easier on Win8 compared to 7/XP for heavy desktop mouse multitaskers (aka people doing work)?

I technically agree with the OP, I'd rather have a classic UI with all the under the hood changes in a 'Pro' edition. Leave it as is in the Home/Mobile editions.

That is a very Mac loving, 'it needs to die' mentality cookie that keeps creeping into these Win8 threads.

Huh? Windows 8 is the same as Windows 7. Please don't compare Windows 7 to XP, because they are two totally different operating systems, with two totally different workflows. There's no denying that Windows 7 is leaps and bounds better than XP. Why let "Pro" users suffer poor productivity?

JOHW    3

For Win 8, I would say most of the changes may be tiny increments in terms of productivity since Win 7 made it so good (from my point of view). The Start Screen is more productive for me, since I can easily launch an app (not already pinned to my taskbar) without much 'aim'. I can consistently flick my mouse in a particular direction and land in a certain area. I tend to put all the apps I will launch frequently clustered around this area, so it's 'faster' in that sense, but as I said incremental.

The Start Screen is informative due to the Live Tiles, I can see the weather, emails, messages ala widgets, but I do not need to go to my Desktop to check it out. Also most widgets on 7 were pretty much failures. There's not much to talk about now as Metro apps are still in their infancy.

I like the new Task Manager and the Ribbon interface. Makes it easier to get to certain features that I occasionally need.

Tilt090    13

ok ceasefire... how do i quickly access sleep and shutdown in win 8????

+warwagon    13,521

You press the power button once for sleep or hold it in for 5 seconds to shut it off! :rofl:

• Like 1

JOHW    3

is there a way to pin the shutdown button on the taskbar and get the sleep option in there??

Nope, doubt there's an easy way. Though a .bat file with the necessary commands to initiate a shutdown/sleep should be possible.

http://www.howtogeek.com/74331/how-to-create-your-own-windows-8-shortcuts-for-shutdown-perhaps/

The current implementation is one (+1 gesture) more click than in previous Windows, but since it's typically done once or twice a day, I don't see this as a major dealbreaker. Also you can always use the hardware buttons on your computer to go to sleep like pressing the power button on a desktop. The particular set of behaviors can be set in the Power Options.

Dot Matrix    7,438

Settings > Power

ALT-F4

Or just press your hardware power button to shut off the machine. It's configured by default to do so.

Tilt090    13

swipe right side of screen, settings charm, shutdown...

i dont have touch just a mouse what swipe

butilikethecookie    29

i dont have touch just a mouse what swipe

swipe with mouse...

Tilt090    13

Settings > Power

ALT-F4

Or just press your hardware power button to shut off the machine. It's configured by default to do so.

and sleep?

JOHW    3

swipe with mouse...

You shouldn't be telling people to get the charms menu by swiping with a mouse. The 'correct' way to do it with a mouse is to flick your mouse to the top right corner and the charms menu will appear. Moving the mouse down will bring the charms menu into focus.
  • Like 1

Dot Matrix    7,438

and sleep?

Sleep is under your user tile in the Start Screen.

pack34    223

Press the hardware power button and it'll initiate the shutdown sequence.

If you want to access the jump list specifically, the fastest way is to press WinKey+I. This brings up settings and the power button is right there.

To access the settings with just a mouse, you need to put the mouse in one of the right corners to bring up the preview of the charms and then move the mouse up towards them. Click on settings.

butilikethecookie    29

You shouldn't be telling people to get the charms menu by swiping with a mouse. The 'correct' way to do it with a mouse is to flick your mouse to the top right corner and the charms menu will appear. Moving the mouse down will bring the charms menu into focus.

Well...that's what i do.

Tilt090    13

Sleep is under your user tile in the Start Screen.

only lock and signout not sleep or hibernate

JOHW    3

Well...that's what i do.

Ya, but it's incredibly inefficient, especially if you have a program running. You end up resizing the program or something. Also, people with a mouse think that 'swiping' is unnatural. The Microsoft mandated way for a mouse is the top right corner, as it is VERY easy to reach due to "Fitt's law", same as the other corners (top left to switch between apps, bottom left for start screen, bottom right for show desktop)
  • Like 1

Tilt090    13

There is no sleep or hibernate in windows 8 is this a joke?

Dot Matrix    7,438

only lock and signout not sleep or hibernate

Whoops, If you want sleep you can

1) WinKey+I > Power > Sleep

2) Alt-F4

3) Configure your hardware power button to sleep instead of shut off

4) Configure machine to auto-sleep after a period of inactivity

jakem1    1,610

You are doing it inefficiently then.

Right click in the notification area the LAN connection icon, "Open Network and Sharing Center", Adapter Settings. 3 clicks. If you have it hidden, you can just expand the notification area for a 4th click.

Also how often does someone actually need to go to that particular page? If you are a sysadmin who needs to do so, you should be shortcutting to it.

Exactly. No wonder he's no longer an MVP :rolleyes: